Poll: What do you use: Console or PC?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
PC and PS3. Most new games I now generally buy on PC, but some games just play better with a console. For instance, I got Assassin's Creed III on PS3, as I've played AC games both on PC and PS3 and PS3 just felt better to me. And of course there are the exclusives on both platforms.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i belong to the PC master race that elevates me far above the admittedly small horde of scummy console filth
actually the PS3 monopolises the TV so i can only play during the week days and im at work then darned work :( and i don't have enough of my own room to fit a new tv of a decent size and a couch or bean bag so the PS3 is a glorified Blu-ray player now so the PC gets the most of my limited gaming time

Savryc

NAPs, Spooks and Poz. Oh my!
Aug 4, 2011
360 and laptop. 360 is my main but I use my laptop for RTS/4X etc, stuff you actually need a mouse for.

Can't say I'm all that up to date though, my most recent game purchase was Skyrim, right now I'm playing through Metro 2033 again, for the so called "good" ending.

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
Trippy Turtle said:
Sanat said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I prefer console because of xbox live and the xbox controller. I can't be bothered shelling out $15 for the controller adapter and less convenient online play.
This must be a troll, but I'll bite anyway
How is Xbox live superior to any form of PC-based online play? And the Xbox controller itself goes for ~$40 dollars, a PC based version is a fraction of the price. Hell, a month and a half of sacrificed Xbox live covers it.
I am beginning to believe I really am the only one to prefer Xbox Live for online. I prefer it because: The friends list on Xbox Live. The easy switch between game chat and chatting with friends in another game. Matchmaking never works on PC for me on half the games.
The chat one is the main reason for me. I can be playing Halo (another reason now I think about it: Halo is awesome) and talking in game chat. Then my friend comes online and I want to talk to him. On PC it would be incredibly inconvenient to call them on Skype or something but on Xbox I can just invite them to a party chat no matter what game they are playing.
As a lesser reason, I really like achievements and comparing them with friends. Steam does achievements but on Xbox every game has achievements whereas on Steam it only has a few of the PC games I would be playing.
Also not every PC game works with an Xbox controller. Using a mouse and keyboard for any sort of first person game annoys the hell out of me.
Matchmaking is the devils work, so I for one is quite happy that it's not a thing in most PC games. Why anyone would settle for match making over proper dedicated servers baffles me. How would you kick and ban racists, cheaters and other assholes? No sir. Give me a dedicated server any day over being forced to play with random jerks on the internet. And that's not even mentioning the major flaws in using P2P for playing.

As for friends lists there are several programs, including Steam, that sort your friends out. Only issue can be to get everyone in one place, but I personally prefer to split it up.

I'm a bit confused why calling someone on Skype is more a hassle that party chat, but whatever. No need to use Skype. I personally use Mumble or TeamSpeak for all my multiplayer needs. For the Arma 2 sessions it's great to be be able to put people into different fire team channels with a command channel between the leaders. We still die hilariously though. Skype is a bandwidth hog I think, and I wouldn't use it while playing unless I had no choice.

Achievements can go die in a fire. I wish no games had them.

As for controllers, it's very rare indeed for a game not to support it these days unless we're talking Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings 2. If for some made reason people want to use a controller they can, bar a scant few exceptions.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
PC and 360, though less with my 360.
Going to order a PS3 on Friday to fill a gap that the 360 just can't do.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
While I have a laptop that can play most games on high/ultra settings (bought three months ago), my gaming is still about half-and-half between my laptop and my 360.

Once this year ends, it'll likely switch more to the PC for most games, but for the next few months I'll likely be committing around an equal time to both.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Sanat said:
EcoEclipse said:
Primarily, PS3. I've also got some handhelds... and a Mac. :I

After I get myself a PC capable of handling games, I'll still use consoles, but probably only for exclusives or when the PC version sucks.
If you didn't buy a mac in the first place you could've afforded that PC.
Obnoxious cynical food for thought~
At the time of purchase, I was about 15 and without an income. (I uh... still don't have one. ._.) My dad's an Apple fanboy, so it really wasn't my choice.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Currently my 3DS is seeing the most use, but I also play a lot of Wii and PS3. Not a PC gamer by any stretch.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Trippy Turtle said:
Sanat said:
Trippy Turtle said:
I prefer console because of xbox live and the xbox controller. I can't be bothered shelling out $15 for the controller adapter and less convenient online play.
How is Xbox live superior to any form of PC-based online play? And the Xbox controller itself goes for ~$40 dollars, a PC based version is a fraction of the price. Hell, a month and a half of sacrificed Xbox live covers it.
I am beginning to believe I really am the only one to prefer Xbox Live for online. I prefer it because: The friends list on Xbox Live. The easy switch between game chat and chatting with friends in another game. Matchmaking never works on PC for me on half the games.
The chat one is the main reason for me. I can be playing Halo (another reason now I think about it: Halo is awesome) and talking in game chat. Then my friend comes online and I want to talk to him. On PC it would be incredibly inconvenient to call them on Skype or something but on Xbox I can just invite them to a party chat no matter what game they are playing.
As a lesser reason, I really like achievements and comparing them with friends. Steam does achievements but on Xbox every game has achievements whereas on Steam it only has a few of the PC games I would be playing.
Also not every PC game works with an Xbox controller. Using a mouse and keyboard for any sort of first person game annoys the hell out of me.
Your opinion is yours and all, but most of those points can be, quite frankly, objectively debunked. But I'm sure others will so you'll have no more from me. Except the part about Halo =D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
These days it's the PC (playing GW2 and bought a few more PC games and more in the future) since I made the mistake (to me) of buying the Wii and Nintendo are now shirfting to the 3DS which I haven't decided wheather to buy it or now (still got my DS).

Sanat

Apr 7, 2012
Trippy Turtle said:
Sanat said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Sorry to deconstruct your post so hard, but I feel the need.

Friends list:
See Steam; you can play any game, and talk to anyone in any other game. It's applicable to nearly every single non-steam game there is too, and if that's not possible, Alt+tabbing is rarely an option. And if both of those irritate you too much, there's always Xfire.

Chat:
Covered already, as has inconvenience; it takes mere seconds to call someone in Skype, even with alt+tabbing, and Steam itself has a voice calling option.

Halo:
One of the greatest console games (in my opinion, Halo 2 is the best console game) to have ever existed. Ported to PC, and I like it even more on that. If they also ported 3, the pseudo-spin offs and 4 to PC, I'd be a very happy panda. Basically it's a shame they're exclusives. I think that that applies to all exclusives personally, however.

Achievements:
I think this plays to each platform's strengths. Xbox games have more achievements, to an extent, but it'll be the same with Steam eventually anyway (New Steam games almost always have a set, and Steam is a newer platform). I don't like the achievements on Xbox because I don't enjoy the Xbox's online in any way. I do like Steam's, because I like its online. Obviously for you, it's vice versa.

Controls:
Personally I find the mouse and keyboard a trillion times better than the controller due to the ability to actually control what you're looking at with finesse, and at a rate that isn't snail slime. If I want my character to suddenly look to the right to see something, I can do it with a deft flick of the mouse. With a controller I have to sluggishly turn around, or with higher sensitivity, fly suddenly in a wayward direction. WASD is just a simpler version of the joystick, but it works well in conjunction with the more convenient mouse. And Controllers will work with most every game with the right drivers, if you're so adverse to using the mouse and keyboard.

This is a fairly opinion based point with a lot of aesthetic qualities, but there's a stronger argument for the mouse and keyboard (Admittedly not by much in most cases. RTSs however...).

lord Claincy Ffnord

Feb 23, 2012
Sanat said:
Controls:
Personally I find the mouse and keyboard a trillion times better than the controller due to the ability to actually control what you're looking at with finesse, and at a rate that isn't snail slime. If I want my character to suddenly look to the right to see something, I can do it with a deft flick of the mouse. With a controller I have to sluggishly turn around, or with higher sensitivity, fly suddenly in a wayward direction. WASD is just a simpler version of the joystick, but it works well in conjunction with the more convenient mouse. And Controllers will work with most every game with the right drivers, if you're so adverse to using the mouse and keyboard.

This is a fairly opinion based point with a lot of aesthetic qualities, but there's a stronger argument for the mouse and keyboard (Admittedly not by much in most cases. RTSs however...).
Personally I play both PC and 360, I tend to get newer games on the 360 and use the pc for indie games + games on steam sales.

Anyway, I get the point about the control scheme and there is no way to deny that mouse/keyboard is much more precise and much easier to use. However: I find the feel of a controller much more comfortable. Aside from that pulling a trigger feels much better to me when playing any fps than clicking a button. Another part of me also *likes* that the console controls are harder, feels more skillful when you do it well =), silly perhaps, but its a factor. Also, have you played creed on the pc? I found that there was only so long I could play it before my left hand started aching from holding down the buttons for free-running (i probs should have remapped them, ah well, it was quite some time ago) point being that the 360 controller hasn't made my ache like that.

I do also have a soft spot for Halo, as Halo 3 kinda got me into large scale videogaming again.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
My gaming time is spread across a 70:30 split in favour of the Xbox to PC.

Basically, if I'm not gaming on one platform I'll be gaming on the other. I expect it to slide to 50:50 when I get my new designed PC I've been saving up for in a few weeks time. This current one is nearing 8 years old.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
First off, my friend just told me that you can add non steam games to steam. That helps with some of my problems at least.
Sanat said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Sanat said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Sorry to deconstruct your post so hard, but I feel the need.

Friends list:
See Steam; you can play any game, and talk to anyone in any other game. It's applicable to nearly every single non-steam game there is too, and if that's not possible, Alt+tabbing is rarely an option. And if both of those irritate you too much, there's always Xfire.

Chat:
Covered already, as has inconvenience; it takes mere seconds to call someone in Skype, even with alt+tabbing, and Steam itself has a voice calling option.

Halo:
One of the greatest console games (in my opinion, Halo 2 is the best console game) to have ever existed. Ported to PC, and I like it even more on that. If they also ported 3, the pseudo-spin offs and 4 to PC, I'd be a very happy panda. Basically it's a shame they're exclusives. I think that that applies to all exclusives personally, however.

Achievements:
I think this plays to each platform's strengths. Xbox games have more achievements, to an extent, but it'll be the same with Steam eventually anyway (New Steam games almost always have a set, and Steam is a newer platform). I don't like the achievements on Xbox because I don't enjoy the Xbox's online in any way. I do like Steam's, because I like its online. Obviously for you, it's vice versa.

Controls:

For the chat, I hate playing a full screen game and having to alt tab to use skype or other chat programs. Being able to add games to steam would probably help although I would still prefer party chat.
For the controls, I hate the mouse. It movements are jerky and don't flow well like an analog stick. I guess with practice it might get better the same as how I can play on high sensitivity now. Using a keyboard just kills me. It feels awkward to me and none of the buttons are easy to reach compared to an Xbox controller.
teh_gunslinger said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Sanat said:
Trippy Turtle said:
Matchmaking is the devils work, so I for one is quite happy that it's not a thing in most PC games. Why anyone would settle for match making over proper dedicated servers baffles me. How would you kick and ban racists, cheaters and other assholes? No sir. Give me a dedicated server any day over being forced to play with random jerks on the internet. And that's not even mentioning the major flaws in using P2P for playing.

As for friends lists there are several programs, including Steam, that sort your friends out. Only issue can be to get everyone in one place, but I personally prefer to split it up.

I'm a bit confused why calling someone on Skype is more a hassle that party chat, but whatever. No need to use Skype. I personally use Mumble or TeamSpeak for all my multiplayer needs. For the Arma 2 sessions it's great to be be able to put people into different fire team channels with a command channel between the leaders. We still die hilariously though. Skype is a bandwidth hog I think, and I wouldn't use it while playing unless I had no choice.

Achievements can go die in a fire. I wish no games had them.

As for controllers, it's very rare indeed for a game not to support it these days unless we're talking Hearts of Iron or Crusader Kings 2. If for some made reason people want to use a controller they can, bar a scant few exceptions.
I prefer matchmaking over dedicated servers. It trys (and often fails I will admit)to put you with people on your level and with people you don't constantly face. I would rather play with randoms than the same people over and over again.
Also you brought up another point about PC I don't like. Its so easy to cheat, at least in my experience. My friend convinced me to try Combat arms one time and over half the matches had some form of cheating going on. It was a terrible experience.
I can't stand having multiple friends lists. I figure now that I know I can add non steam games to steam it would help but with Xbox not matter what you are playing you can see all your friends that are online in the one list.
As I said above the having to alt tab is so inconvenient to me. I wouldn't mind if it was a few seconds or something but whenever I try to do it for say MW3 it takes a good 15 seconds of blackscreen for anything to happen. And then I just have to hope the game hasn't decided to freeze while I wasn't watching. This could be solved by a better PC but this one is already more expensive than my Xbox.
I don't know about the controller. I looked into a couple of years ago and found the game I wanted to play didn't work with it and I would have to by an adapter anyway.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PC. I have a PS3, but the last thing I bought for it was inFamous 2 on release.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
My only gaming platform right now is my gaming PC. I plan on getting a PS3 for the JRPGs and fighting games that are on it.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
My android phone.
I dont spend enough time to play games at home, I carry around way too much stuff to carry another gaming device and there are many cool old games available on the phone for really cheap, so I end up playing on the phone.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Other as I technically game on everything but if I were to tell people that I spend time on Newgrounds they would inform me that the games I've been playing aren't actually games at all. Seriously though: consoles. 360, PS2, Gamecube, 3/DS/lite, NES (top loading), SNES and an, N64. I play actual game-games on my consoles so there ya go. At the moment I've been skipping between Final Fantasy 7 on my PS2 (black label copy, just got to disc 2) and, Fist of the North Star on the 360. Once I finish Teen Titans v.1 I'm going to go back to trying to get my 1-million coins every time I need to drop a log into the white lake...then again I also have Yoshi's Island DS to get through...and Pokemon Leaf Green...