Poll: What do YOU want in a video game

TheEldestScroll

Feb 20, 2011
I think gameplay is most important. But what I like in video games is freedom. Not exactly open worlds or sandbox games, but just a sense that you are in control. One game I find to be a good example of this is escape from butcher bay. There was a pretty linear story, but you always feel like you are in control of your actions. You can back track and pretty much do anything, interact with characters, and Butcher Bay seems like a real place even though it doesn't have an open world per say.

And I only like open worlds if they are well developed. Games like The Witcher, Gothic, Fable, and the Bethesda games (Fallout, Elder Scrolls).

I do not particularly like open worlds like mercenaries or just cause 2, even though i still enjoy an occasional sandbox game.

But gameplay, freedom, and story for me.

PlasmaFrog

Feb 2, 2009
The very first thing that I always look for is a captivating story, otherwise I'll never get hooked.

No One Jones

Aug 17, 2009
A little maturity wouldn't hurt. I find alot of mature topics are still handled either stupidly or without any sense of their gravity (romance and sex in recent Bioware games).

zombiestrangler

Sep 3, 2009
1. Good, easy-to-grasp gameplay
2. A story that shows a good bit of effort in its construction.
3. A great deal of exploration.
4. The ability to tell the main story to take a hike while I screw around in the setting a bit more.
5. Humor

Sep 14, 2009
well besides story, i would say controls, a game that actually utilizes everything it has to the best/smoothest it can be, is probably gonna be an awesome game in my book

(i know im a fanboy about it but imagine FF dissidia with 2 joysticks! that game would have been sick madness i tell you..)

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Escapism (har har). But seriously... I want escapism.

I want to be able to immerse my self in the game with no stupid puzzles (Put the one item from back in chapter one in the randomly decided torch which you only gain access to once, before you're told it's important, or else you lose the game), no terrible camera, no stupid difficulty spikes/trenches (although punishing me for being gung ho or for exploring too far from safety is ok), no horrific voice acting (if in doubt, don't. As in don't have any voice acting at all, I can read, it's ok, I don't mind.), that's about it.
But jarring shit like those stupid violins they have in movies that build up and then make a horrid screech, not cool. Although I can't recall any specific instances of that happening.

Nov 12, 2010
It needs to play well.
If nothing else,look at Minecraft or Team Fortress 2.They have almost no story if any at all and the graphics are less then stellar but they're played world wide because people like them.
Really,it just needs to play well.Though,a editor of sorts is always nice for console.

Taxadox

Apr 22, 2011
The gameplay itself is the most important aspect. Games like Rayman 3, Blinx and Kingdom Hearts, in my opinion, did it perfectly

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Im not fussy a decent story and fun gameplay

or mabye if the story is good enough I can forgive average gameplay

as long as its engaging Im good

I also really like it when games really surprise me

and I want decent gameplay length non of this 5 hour shit, leave that for COD

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I want complexity, a high barrier to entry. Games that require you to spin many plates at once, and juggle, and say the alphabet backwards. This is the foundation of any great game.

What I personally want is a slow burning space combat game, where you can roll cap-ships for broadsides and the launching of boarding pods (maybe by dragging a cuboid cursor away from the ship in the direction you want to go, then holding the RMB to roll the cube around). Ideally you'd have to deal with Newtonian physics, perpertual motion, thrust always equalling acceleration and so on.

I think that'd be my perfect game. Much better even than Supcom FA.

These days I play games for the story, because the challenge has just evaporated and complexity has become a dirty word.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Taxadox said:
The gameplay itself is the most important aspect. Games like Rayman 3, Blinx and Kingdom Hearts, in my opinion, did it perfectly
Ive never played Rayman 3, though I always found the cover to be kinda funny

"look! raymans all hardcore! he has spikier hair and hes earing a hoodie! (kinda?) and he has a chin thing that will eat your face off!"

I dont know what its about

rayman 2 had a good story and atmosphere (except I had to quit because I got stuck on the water level and never wnet back)

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Kevonovitch said:
you forgot the #1 thing games keep leaving out these days-FUN.

plain and simple whats wrong w/ just a game simply being fun? not singl;e aspects or w/e, just fun :)
Exactly. Fun is the most important aspect. The fun of a game can be derived from different areas but essentially it's all there for your enjoyment. I mean, Mass Effect was a little bit crappy in the gameplay department but the story and dialogue was (generally) awesome. That is what made the game fun and was the main reason I kept playing. Whereas Just Cause 2's story is boring at best, (I STILL don't know what's actually going on) the gameplay is damn fun.
So yeah, I play games to have fun. I play games that I enjoy. Ultimately that is all that matters.

Taxadox

Apr 22, 2011
Vault101 said:

"look! raymans all hardcore! he has spikier hair and hes earing a hoodie! (kinda?) and he has a chin thing that will eat your face off!"

rayman 2 had a good story and atmosphere (except I had to quit because I got stuck on the water level and never wnet back)
I played Rayman 3 when I was much younger so a more "hip" rayman was way cooler at the time. I've tried version on the original Gameboy and it was way too corny for me and didn't follow the storyline for the console versions at all.

I've never played previous Raymans however, I heard they were originally sidescrollers?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Taxadox said:
Vault101 said:

I played Rayman 3 when I was much younger so a more "hip" rayman was way cooler at the time. I've tried version on the original Gameboy and it was way too corny for me and didn't follow the storyline for the console versions at all.

I've never played previous Raymans however, I heard they were originally sidescrollers?
the first rayman I havnt plaed, as I understand its one of those more obscure underated games, its 2d sidescroller

the 2nd rayman (well its called rayman2) I think is the first 3d one, its actually really really good game both in story and visual style+ atmosphere (especially considereing some games failed when making the transition to 3d) if you can deal with the out dated graphics its worth a look as an old school platformer

I never finished it however there may be others

I dont know anything about rayman 3, how ever i get the impression its more "funny"? I dont know, rayman two was charming and somwhat sober in tone

Taxadox

Apr 22, 2011
Vault101 said:
the first rayman I havnt plaed, as I understand its one of those more obscure underated games, its 2d sidescroller

the 2nd rayman (well its called rayman2) I think is the first 3d one, its actually really really good game both in story and visual style+ atmosphere (especially considereing some games failed when making the transition to 3d) if you can deal with the out dated graphics its worth a look as an old school platformer

I never finished it however there may be others

I dont know anything about rayman 3, how ever i get the impression its more "funny"? I dont know, rayman two was charming and somwhat sober in tone
It wasn't really meant to be "funny". There are a few things in there which make you smile but other than that it was mostly exploring many different worlds which was actually really great to explore. What was also good is that they mixed it up so it isn't mashing the 'punch' button.

There are often times when the objective isn't to punch but rather get your timing right, there are teleportation skating levels, flying and rail shooting levels and each boss is unique in their own ways