Poll: What game has the worst player base?

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
I'd recently gotten into a discussion with a friend of mine, about what game has the worst playerbase all round. And eventually about 4 or 5 people started chiming in about their worst experience with a games fanbase. Eventually, we didn't even reach something close to a consensus, so i'm posting the question here.

What game has the wordt playerbase in your opinion. Online and offline for that matter. Because i have met equally asinine people online in LoL for example as i have met Glorious Defenders of the One and Only true Final Fantasy in real life. No offense meant if you should fall into any of these categories.

I am talking about the playerbase, not the quality of the game ofcourse!

Mine is definitly LoL. The amount of trolls and impatient people playing that game is amazing even. They actively scare away new players trying to learn the game, and are just so set in their vision of the perfect team that they'll kick you for using a hero that you know how to use, but doesn't fit into their 'perfect team'. Most games consist also of shouting your role as fast as humanly possible on the hero selection, and shouting abuse at any player that has shouted the same thing. Like a three year old having to share his toy...

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I think the player bases we are talking about is very overlapping.

It comes down to Elitists, Trolls, and Overly Competitive Players.

I tend to stay away from such games overall.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I dunno about LoL, I thought the player base was pretty nice. I remember after a convention a lot of people were giving out free skin codes, that's how I got arcade sona.

But anyway I haven't really had a terrible experience with any player base. Maybe it's because I tend not to let these things get to me but I haven't really cared for anyone being an ass, I usually just ignore them.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
How did I know the first few posts would mention League? I know it's not the best but it's only on par with other MOBA communities, it's not just a League thing. At least there's no Russians.

Anyway OT: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3's online community is (or was a least) total salt incarnate. I stopped playing after a year and a half of daily playing from launch day (I was pretty into it) because fuck me, the salt is real. A community has never stopped me playing a game where I enjoy the mechanics aside from UMVC3. I have a theory that X-Factor as mechanic alone facilitates the excessive salt since everyone likes comebacks and everyone hates being beaten by a comeback and X-Factor may as well be called Comeback Mechanic Activated.

They see someone activate X-Factor on like, last character Wesker and the visions of level 4 X-Factor Dark Wesker defeats in the past rise to the surface so when they win against it it's like they got revenge on that one guy who beat them ages ago and never saw again. Spam taunt/teabag in the last 3 seconds, rage message post game optional.

Also don't ever even pick Phoenix if you don't want rage messages, people will insult you for attempting to Dark Phoenix cheese them even if you put her on point. She dominated Vanilla MVC3 that hard anyone who played it has a huge backlog of salt stacked up against her even in Ultimate where she got nerfed to shit. She has 400,000 total HP when the average amount is 1,000,000. Vergil's Stinger does 100,000 for reference.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
The Wykydtron said:
How did I know the first few posts would mention League? I know it's not the best but it's only on par with other MOBA communities, it's not just a League thing. At least there's no Russians.
That may be the case, but you're forgetting the personal aspect of this issue. League is the only game I've been berated by people while playing. No one in Smite has ever done it and I can't speak for DOTA. And the NA servers have an insane amount of spanish-only speakers as well. Personal experiences matter a lot in this situation.

I'm saying League. Out of your list, I've played LoL, WoW, TF2, and CoD. The only game I've been berated on is LoL. I've seen it once on WoW when a Tank decided to kill every enemy in the dungeon. The other two, I've had none.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Out of the games named in the poll, the only game I've played is TF2. That community seemed fine to me when I played it (I quit about a month before it went F2P), except for the players who stood in the spawn area trading hats instead of helping the team.

I voted "other", because the worst community I've experienced is Payday 2. I really enjoyed the game itself, but its players are horrible, to the point where I've uninstalled the game. It got to the stage where I couldn't actually finish a game because either a) the other players on the server only wanted to do stealth, so the very moment something went wrong, everyone would suicide and restart instead of just changing tactics or b) everything would play out successfully but then the host would kick all the other players from the game moments before the end for no valid reason other than the host is a troll.

These 2 things happened to me game after game, day after day, so it was a complete waste of time.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The one with the biggest fanbase, since that's going to attract all sorts of people, also the a-holes. Is that a good enough answer?
Sure there might be some game I've never heard about that has a small fanbase and only attracts some elitist pricks, but I'm not pointing out any single game, I just think mathematically the biggest chance for shittiest fanbase is the largest one...

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The game... of LIFE! 7 billion people playing it, and a vast majority are arseholes... :p

Seriously, though, my vote goes to LoL. I've seen by far the most abuse there. Nearly every game that wasn't a completely one-sided stomp by my team would see people flame and ***** at every excuse they could find. In comparison, DOTA2 is downright civil (and cyrillic, but hey, nothing is perfect), while none of the MMOs I've played come anywhere close, and yes, that includes WoW. In fact, WoW is for the most part alright. Not too welcoming, but rarely openly hostile.

The best community I'd have to give to Final Fantasy 14, where a huge number of people are more than willing to go out of their way to help others, and actually finding a troll or a flamer is shocking simply for the rarity of it. Unless you're doing Syrcus Tower (an beginner raid, usually done by random groups). For some reason every prick in the game tends to gravitate there...

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
If I'm going from personal experience, then it would be call of duty. I only played MW2 and MW3 so can't speak for them as a whole, but their player bases were pretty terrible. It got to the stage were as soon as I booted up a game I would just mute every player that I didn't know , since somehow every person with a mic was just awful. There just seemed to be no sense of community, just people screaming at each other.

The only other games on your list that I've played are WoW and TF2. I got into TF2 just after it went F2P and I from what I've heard that's when the community started to dry up a little? I'm not 100% on that. In any case, I never came across any griefing. Or interaction at all really. The only time people ever seemed to interact with me was when I had a strange hat on and they wanted it. Strange community, but hardly the worst.

And as for WoW, I genuinely found WoW to be quite welcoming. I mostly played healer, and I was pretty damn good at it, so maybe that helped? In any case, WoWs community was far from the worst I've encountered.

dragonmith

Sep 1, 2012
I've played quite a few on that list (and a few implied like dota) and I would have to say:

For elitism its Starcraft.

For trolling/cheating its Payday 2, kinda. The trolls are really bad and have the tools to exploit it, but they are still a small minority luckly.

For general rudeness I'd say League, Although Riot have been taking quite a few steps to try fix that.

However if we go by numbers rather than a percentage WOW wins hands down.

I can easily speak for Payday 2 because I have like 1000 hours in it but the rest I'm more unsure.

EDIT: wait I got remember one: Wasn't Ultima online really bad?

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm... i don't play League of Legends but i guess it's strongest there out of all in the poll.

All those "Small team vs small team -games" are pretty bitter sometimes. I am playing Awesomenauts for example and people get mental there.

My Advice would be: If you can't handle getting bunched into a random team with strangers MAYBE you shouldn't go into public random battles.

Seriously, just do your best, have fun, do a little trashtalk, spice up the game and be done with it. If you can't bare to be in a losing team, don't enter a team.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Go play on myth II servers, honestly at least there are admins and that kind of nonsense (hypocrites on freedom of speech). They are all community run, you can say absolutely anything and not get booted off the server. This leads to full of grudge matches, hate-play and retirement matches.

Myth II leaves these games for dead, even though the community is super small these days , everyone knows each other an a reputation counts for a hell of a lot more when its not watered down by tens of thousands of players. People actually know and remember you.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
kingthrall said:
Go play on myth II servers, honestly at least there are admins and that kind of nonsense (hypocrites on freedom of speech). They are all community run, you can say absolutely anything and not get booted off the server. This leads to full of grudge matches, hate-play and retirement matches.

Myth II leaves these games for dead, even though the community is super small these days , everyone knows each other an a reputation counts for a hell of a lot more when its not watered down by tens of thousands of players. People actually know and remember you.
what exactly is "hate-play"?

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
If we're talking online playerbase, probably Lol. If we're talking playerbase total, I'd say the Witcher series.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't play the game, but from what I've read, seen, and heard, League of Legends is simply toxic. Like, worse than other games. Even Honest Game Trailers points that out.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
Guffe said:
The one with the biggest fanbase, since that's going to attract all sorts of people, also the a-holes. Is that a good enough answer?
Sure there might be some game I've never heard about that has a small fanbase and only attracts some elitist pricks, but I'm not pointing out any single game, I just think mathematically the biggest chance for shittiest fanbase is the largest one...
Well yes, it's a good answer since i was asking opinions. But don't you feel the atmosphere of the existing crowd determines the attitude of new players? My first experience with playing wow was with some truly awesome people (apparantly more prevalent on RP servers) and thus 'formed' me as a nice and welcoming player. My first experience with lol was truly sickening, so i'd totally skip the chat window in it's entirity, because i knew bile was forthcoming.

A community that knows how to moderate itself, no matter how large, has a less chance of containing trolls and toxic people.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
People were always going on about how toxic the CoD community is yet I've been playing it online since CoD4 and can't say I've ever experienced much bad stuff. Seen/heard way worse playing/watching the likes of Fifa

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
SoreWristed said:
Guffe said:
Well yes, it's a good answer since i was asking opinions. But don't you feel the atmosphere of the existing crowd determines the attitude of new players? My first experience with playing wow was with some truly awesome people (apparantly more prevalent on RP servers) and thus 'formed' me as a nice and welcoming player. My first experience with lol was truly sickening, so i'd totally skip the chat window in it's entirity, because i knew bile was forthcoming.

A community that knows how to moderate itself, no matter how large, has a less chance of containing trolls and toxic people.
True true....
There will always be good people in big crowds (and bad ones as well), I guess a big deal is the first impression. I only met very helpful people in LoL to begin with, and later met some douches, but I pretty much ignored them.
I also played WoW for a short time (HUGE Warcraft III fan) and played on RP servers with a handful of IRL friends with whom we got into bigger groups and formed guilds and whatnot, whom all were very friendly people. Same with my Lotro experiences.

I guess since I have never played super competitive online (never played max level in any sort of game, not raiding hard or getting even into silver in LoL) I haven't met the sort of assholes we're implying here.... I only met the good ones :p. Guess I am lucky like that. Then again the majority of my gaming is single player or couch based with friends, so I don't have that much experience with online communities :/

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
In terms of gameplay, Starcraft 2 seems to have just devolved into a game of "who can cheese their way to victory the fastest", and I cannot even count how many times that I have been cannon rushed anymore. It got to the point where I just stopped playing the game because it just irritated be too much.

Battlefield 4. Thank god for the "hide chat" button. That game is just a wretched hive of people accusing other players of being hackers at every turn, people throwing around racist and sexual slurs, and people just talking out of their ass for no reason. Seriously, the community is just a huge let down for an otherwise solid game.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Maybe not the worst, but my personal pick, is Battlefield, in general.

Another FPS? Fuck that! Noob? Suck a dick! Battlefields not realistic? Your moms gay! You play CoD? Death threats incoming!

I play, and like, Battlefield 4. But for all the talk about how BF is the next level of FPS with destructibility, huge maps and flawless teamwork, I was slightly disappointed. Destructibility is cool - if you actually have the tools to make it happen. Teamwork will only work if you have a mic and a squad of people you know in real life. Huge maps = sniping douchebags. Hey, its not camping if your a sniper. It is camping if you used a helicopter as a taxi to get on the roof opposite of your opponents spawn point. They do nothing to help your team, and there are times when entire servers are full of them. I once got into a deathmatch with a 100 percent all sniper team who was spawn killing us from the top of the other building. And when you quit they call you rage-quitters, as if its something to be ashamed about. The last two things made me realize that really the only thing that Battlefield players care about are themselves. For example, closet colonels. Players who maxed out their levels and start again at level one - but join ranked games so they can ruin a couple of noobs day, just so they can level up faster. In a way, this attitude makes them no different from the CoD players they so constantly ridicule.

Unrealistic representations from its community is what lead me to buy Battlefield. I do enjoy it, but its not the shining jewel they made it out to be. More like a lovely painting sold to you by a prideful artist who used shit for brown paint to save money.