Poll: What gender is your best friend?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm a guy, and my best friend is a girl. Though she doesn't regard me as her best friend.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm a male, my best friend is aswell.
Been best friends for roughly 8 years now and in some cases knows more about me than any other person.

To answer your second question:
I don't see why people make an issue out of it, gender doesn't matter at all. What counts is that you can rely on your best friend, i.e. help eachother when needed. And understand eachother aswell.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I have two best friends (greedy I know.) One is male, my next door neighbour and we grew up together did everything together since we were 8 etc.
My other is female, we met through my ex and we had a really strong friendship, none of the sharing a bed/seeing in underwear awkwardness. Shared all the grissly details etc. She's moved to another country now so I haven't been able to see her for a few years and we've lost some of the connection we had but I'd still class her as my best friend.

To answer the 2nd question. Not really no, I think other people found it weird more than we did. We were just best friends, got along, trusted each other and were there for each other. But people seemed to assume there was some sexual connection that had to be there and we were secretly madly in love.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
Guy here.

My question is : Is your best friend the same sex as you?
Well, not anymore, no. She used to be male, like I am, but I hadn't even met her by that point. I don't know if we're technically best friends, and I have a massive crush on her, but she is the person I'm closest to. We both don't give a shit about the gender of the people we like, we share a lot of the same interests, and...yeah. The only real differences I can name off the top of my head...she prefers Marvel, while I like DC. She prefers drawing, while I like writing...And she gets really obsessed with new MMOs, while I prefer single player RPGs and such. She's also a good five years older than I am. I...guess she could be called my best friend?

No, she's not the same gender as me. But she used to be years ago, before I ever met her.

Do you find it weird when a persons best friend is of the opposite sex as them?
I guess a little. It's just...societal conditioning, I guess.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I'm female and my best friend is my boyfriend. My good friends are a mixture, but more male than female.

As a side thought, I'm not sure I've really had a "best friend" (apart from my boyfriend) since I was 8 (when it used to change almost every week!). I've generally had a few good friends rather than one particular one that I'm inseparable from.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
OlasDAlmighty said:
I find it interesting that the majority of females who's answered so far have had male best friends. I wouldn't expect that.
Colour Scientist said:
Only by a small margin and I think quite a few of them are counting their boyfriends as their best friends.
In addition, this is a gaming site. Girls who are into video games often have a lot of male friends (simply because more guys play games than girls).

But yes, I think the bigger factor is that girls (myself included) often count their boyfriend as their best friend.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
I'm a male and my best friend is also a male. Nothing wrong with having best friends of the opposite sex. I haven't actually had any female friends. I was friendly and talkative to the girls I went to school with, but it was more genuine friendliness instead of...I guess actual friendship? I can't honestly say how I would react to having a female best friend. Would I stay friends or would I try to push it farther? I can't say I'd know.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I honestly find the way people of the same gender flock together weird. The traditional outlook on how men and women can't just be friends baffles me, made even worse by that 'friendzone' thing that people have been whining about on the internet. Holy shit, can't those sexist little twats stop seeing women as objects they should strive to own for one second and admit they are human beings capable of, you know, making friends?

sorry, got a bit carried away there.

anyway, I am a straight male and most of my close friends with the exception of one or two are female. I just can't stand the traditional male style of communication. How talking to your friends turns into a bloody 'who's got more testosterone' contest EVERY SINGLE TIME. I tend to make friends with people who I can actually have a conversation with and, while I realise that this is just my isolated experience and am by no means trying to imply that this reflects the entire male gender, so far, most of the people that I have found this to possible with are women.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Well, I?m an 18-year-old straight black male, and my best friend is a 17-year-old straight (as far as I know) white male, and we both live in Britain. We?ve been friends since our second year of secondary school. I guess it?s because I find it hard to make friends in the first place anyway, so it?s more often that males make friends with me than I make an active effort because I?m already socially anxious. Although, when I was in primary school, my best friend was a girl named Charlotte; we used to go out, but that was when we were very young so it doesn?t really count, although I developed a bit of a crush on her in later years. We?re not really in touch anymore.

Actually, you know what, fuck it. I don?t even have a ?best friend?. I don?t consciously rate my friends like that. I may have ?best friends?; friends that I trust more than other friends, but not a number #1 ?BFF?-type guy. Peh.

And no, I don?t find it weird when a person?s best friend is of the opposite sex as them. And I don?t know how ?unusual? it is either.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
First question- Yes (we share alot of stuff in common to the point we ain't drinker and rather have a night in gaming than a night out drinking! Granted we have some difference like he can draw comicbook style.)

Second qestion- No (I don't find it weird).

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I simply put other, because I don't just have "a" best friend, I have multiple best friends and they all happen to be of both sexes.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
My closest friend is female despite being male myself. Obviously I don't find it weird, though many people I run into can react a bit strangely about it.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I don't think I can define any of my friends as a "best friend". I certainly have ones I hang out with more than others, but that seems more circumstantial rather than any active attempt of hanging out with one more than another. Overall, I'm just not good at ranking people, and being called "best friend" by anyone makes me feel awkward, so I haven't been able to relate to that kind of mentality since I was like fifteen.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
27 year old dude, my best friend is a 24 year old girl, we befriended each other in boarding school and kinda hit it off from the start. She is rather pretty too but "not my type" so never felt that way about her despite spending a fair amount of hours massaging each other (one of the things we had in common, we were both massage enthusiasts) and being comfy being in skimpy outfits around each other.

So in conclusion answer to the questions:

1) No
2) No but some people do find it odd depending on their own views of male/female friendship (some don't believe it's even possible)

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
game-lover said:
I don't have a best friend but I'm pretty sure when that happens, it's going to be a girl.

Just would better suit my comfort level. I imagine lots of affection between BFFs. Hugs and laughter and messing around. I'm not the most touchy feely person as it is. But it just seems wrong for two people of...

We'll say compatible sexual orientations to be all up on each other and for them to claim it's not going anywhere. That it's simply platonic. I wouldn't come straight out and say "bullshit."

But I'll be wearing my cynical and skeptical glasses.
I'm afraid that isn't exclusive to friends of opposite genders. I'm a straight male, and so is what I hesitate to call my 'best friend' and we get mistaken for a gay couple all the time. I mean, we do work together, live together and occassionally say homo-erotic things to eachother, but I still don't understand how people make that mistake.

Bros can't just be bros anymore?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I'm a guy.
I have 5 people I'd call my "best friends". The people I'd tell anything, trust completely, do anything for, etc.

4 of them are women.
1 woman with which the relationship is borderline romantic.
1 woman with which it WAS romantic.
2 women purely platonic.
and then the guy...we're just basically brothers.

I don't get along very well with most guys.
I have a very low tolerance for putting up with the bullshit that most guys seem to surround themselves with.
I used to be tolerant. Then 3 years ago I "fired" like 15 of my guys friends and never talked to them again.

So, given how I don't usually get along with guys, it sure as hell better be true that men and women can just be friends.....otherwise who the hell am I going to talk to?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
The thing that amuses me about the argument that men and women can't be just friends is that it's kind of completely scuppered by the existence of bi people. I mean, according to some people's logic, I can't have any close, platonic relationships at all.

Forever alone, etc, etc.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Male with a female bestfriend (not counting girlfriend) and a couple male best friends.

Either gender is fine by me when it comes to talking seriously or just having fun.

Edit:

Eamar said:
The thing that amuses me about the argument that men and women can't be just friends is that it's kind of completely scuppered by the existence of bi people. I mean, according to some people's logic, I can't have any close, platonic relationships at all.

Forever alone, etc, etc.
Yeah never understood that attitude but I don't really encounter it after becoming an adult. Seems one of those things from childhood people hold onto and justify for no good reason.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I don't think two humans of opposite gender who are close harbour sexual feelings for each other... because that's just really stupid. My best friend personally is male.