Poll: What Hands do you Use a Knife and Fork With?

Dec 14, 2009
shadyh8er said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Much more efficient than the ridiculous American method anyway, which is to cut the food (knife in right hand), then set the knife down, to then switch the fork to the right hand.
Or how about the Trinidadian way where you do all of your cutting with the side of the fork?

OT: Being right-handed, I want the knife in my right hand because I handle a knives too awkwardly with my left. Not to mention I want all the force I can get when I'm cutting.
Are the forks designed with a cutting edge?

Because I can imagine that being very awkward to do, especially to a steak.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
tzimize said:
I change mid-meal.

Edit: Not to be difficult, but I really do. I carve my food, then switch around.
I do the same thing.

That makes us like brothers and stuff.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Carve the food with fork in left hand, eat it with fork in right.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Kenjitsuka said:
tzimize said:
I change mid-meal.

Edit: Not to be difficult, but I really do. I carve my food, then switch around.
Indeed. Thus using your best hand to first cut, then to scoop.
Yes! Exactly! Why is this not the default method of eating?! Are we the next step on the evolutionary ladder or what!

ruben6f said:
tzimize said:
I change mid-meal.

I do the same thing.

That makes us like brothers and stuff.
Fo' shizzle.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
tzimize said:
I change mid-meal.

I'm half with you on that. I hold my knife in my left and fork in the right. But when it comes to desert, I stick to using my right for the spoon, when a lot of people that are typically left handed don't.

I'm mostly right-handed but use mixed methods for feeding. People ask me why I use my knife and fork the 'wrong' way round. My reasoning is that if I'm sticking something spiky into a hole in the front of my face, I'm damn well gonna use the hand that I'm best with....my right hand!

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Actually, it is correct manners to eat with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right hand.

It's called continental style etiquette.

Much more efficient than the ridiculous American method anyway, which is to cut the food (knife in right hand), then set the knife down, to then switch the fork to the right hand.
Or better yet just cut the food with the side of the fork and eliminate the middle man.

EDIT: Fork left knife right for me by the way. And I now realize that I've been ninja'd. Shit.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I carve my food up, and then abandon my knife somewhere to free up my left hand for my drinking glass.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
interspark said:
just a little public survey, i got into an arguement with someone the other day who believes that to eat with a fork in your right hand and a knife in your left hand is the "wrong" way of eating and that no-one does it, i argued that not only is there no "correct" way of eating, but that i know/have heard of several people who eat said way, so to put this arguement to rest, how do escapees hold cutlery?
All people who align their toilet paper so that they're pulling from the bottom are fascists and possibly believe in in-breeding.

We must stop this toilet paper-pulling phenomenon now, before incest and totalitarianism consume us.

No, Steven Wright, that was a joke.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
Despite being left handed I have my fork in the left and knife in the right.

Quagmirian

Jul 19, 2011
I'm amazed at the amount of plebs who don't eat properly. That said, shoving instant noodles into my mouth with a fork whilst browsing the internet doesn't really give me the high ground in this arguement.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
You're supposed to use the knife with your dominate hand, and hold the food in place with the fork in the opposite hand. That way you have more control over the knife, and can cut the food much more easily/safely.

At least that's the way I was taught.

So if you're left handed, you are using the correct hand for the knife.

EDIT

I'm right handed by the way. So I eat with the knife in right, and fork in left.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Etiquette is just people refusing to let go of the past. (Note I differentiate politeness and manners from etiquette)

I use my knife in my left hand and my fork in my right. I have absolutely no problem cutting up anything in that manner. Anyone who cannot do that needs to either slow down or not be given a knife. Eating, much like sex, is usually not a race. (That doesn't mean you have to do left knife/right fork, it merely means if your reason is because of control you are doing it wrong.)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I use the fork on my right and knife on the left which my family find it strange. I'm pretty sure the reason why I do it thay way (since I know it suppose to be the other way) is I think it has something to do with using the chopstick (since I use the chopstick on my right hand so I view my right hand is the main hand to use).
I still prefer to use my fork and knife that way in a formal dinner party (since they set the knifes on the right and the fork on the left) much to my parent dismay.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I'm ambidextrous so I don't have a specific way of holding them. I also hold my knife in a very... unorthodox way as does the rest of my family (on my mom's side, and I lived with her most of the time). We kind of grab it with our fist pointing vertically. Barbaric, yes, but it works.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Actually, it is correct manners to eat with the fork in the left hand and knife in the right hand.

It's called continental style etiquette.

that method I believe was adopted because there was a shortage of knifes during the World wars. Or it could just be an old wives tale.

but if fork in left knife in right.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
Fork Left, knife right, but I am left handed. I've got a right handed friend who uses fork left because it is more comfortable. My step dad uses his right hand for both, switching utensils between bites because he can't do either with his left hand (no medical reason behind that either).

Dec 14, 2009
Jodah said:
Etiquette is just people refusing to let go of the past. (Note I differentiate politeness and manners from etiquette)

I use my knife in my left hand and my fork in my right. I have absolutely no problem cutting up anything in that manner. Anyone who cannot do that needs to either slow down or not be given a knife. Eating, much like sex, is usually not a race. (That doesn't mean you have to do left knife/right fork, it merely means if your reason is because of control you are doing it wrong.)
Like someone has stated, there's a reason why you use a knife and fork in specific hands. So that you don't knock elbows with other people at the table.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I made a thread somewhat similar to this a long, long time ago.
The correct way is fork left, knife right. That has always been my belief, and apparently that's not as widely spread as I thought, at least given the feedback I got in the last thread.
However, I do eat using fork right, knife left. I've always done so and I think that, as I'm right handed, it's the logical way to do it. Screw etiquette, I don't want my useless left hand shoving sharp items into my mouth. I've always believed that there is no good reason for the way you're supposed to hold utensils, it's simply grown out of old customs, and I protest it.

Goody

Jan 2, 2011
GeorgW said:
I made a thread somewhat similar to this a long, long time ago.
The correct way is fork left, knife right. That has always been my belief, and apparently that's not as widely spread as I thought, at least given the feedback I got in the last thread.
However, I do eat using fork right, knife left. I've always done so and I think that, as I'm right handed, it's the logical way to do it. Screw etiquette, I don't want my useless left hand shoving sharp items into my mouth. I've always believed that there is no good reason for the way you're supposed to hold utensils, it's simply grown out of old customs, and I protest it.
There is a reason for knife in right hand, if you are right handed because if you need to use a sharp knife, you use your strong hand in order to have better control over it, making it safer for you and anyone around you in that situation. I believe that is some rather good logic.

However your logic for fork in the right hand actually makes sanse too, if sticking pointy things in your mouth, have better control over it, now both ways have some logic to them. Although I voted knife right anyway