Poll: what is stronger... hate or love?

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Vianyte said:
cabooze said:
love will make you do things for a person (or vice versa) but the person who is loved can't necessarily control the love.
hate on the other hand will give you purpose and single minded concentration but after it has been taken out on the hated person/object it fades leaving you as a empty, hollow shell of what you were (though this only happens in extreme cases)
Hate usually doesn't end that way. Even once you've taken it out on someone it probably won't be enough, and so you continue hating.
and in the end you either (previous comment) or you end up hating the world and if you do something against it, the world hates you.

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
I'm not a happy person, but I'm not angry, either.
Ah, perhaps the term is upset? The whole 'You will all die alone. Unloved.' thing makes it seem like this issue strikes a particular chord with you is all. I'm saying, I'm here for you if you need it. I like helping people.
☻

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
Both are just as strong. But I suppose people will do more for love, so they don't die alone.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
In my eyes they are as strong as each other.
If you hate someone enough, you'll kill them. If you love someone enough, you'll kill for them.
Subtle difference, but it's there.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I say hate because everyone (except damn hippies!!!) has hate in them and everyone knows that there is strength in numbers. Also, hate wins cause people have bad self-control and are easily angered, so hate is much quicker to act and acts much more frequently. Also, love is very peculiar and doesn't get ordered around by the person. So love is weak compared to hate cause hate is much more common and easily attained and can cause the same results as love. (= in strength but not in rarity and usefullness)

Awesometown

Jul 14, 2009
Hate usually is generalized but love it unique

people don't have love rallies they have hate rallies

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think you're selling love short.

"Love" is the attachment to or affection for anything you like or enjoy. Think about it. You love millions of things. Some of them strongly (like a boyfriend/girlfriend), some of them maybe weakly ("Yum, love this cola").

I doubt any human could work out whether they love or hate more things, and both can be massively powerful forces. I'd suggest picking one or the other probably says more about whether you're a glass half full or glass half empty kind of person than really reflect the balance of your likes and dislikes.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
Daemon888 said:
MiserableOldGit said:
Love -its been mathematically proven by the prisoner's dilemma. Debate over. Cheers, science...

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/prisoner-dilemma/
No offense but the Prisoner's Dilemma is all about self preservation, in some ways unintentional altruism and how it can be motivated by some circumstances. Love and hate are emotions primarily directed at another, often with complete disregard for self. If the prisoner's hated eachother or loved eachother then their choices would be easy but it is their very indifference towards the other that makes the situation interesting. Doesn't really apply here at all IMO.

Anyways, GO HATE! Still kicking ass though love did mount an unexpected second wind. Peace.
Ah, but if you apply prisoners dilemma to a wider group of people an interesting paradox occurs- if you live with people that mostly defect, everyones screwing each other over and everyone gets fined. If however, most people are cooperating, it becomes more and more tempting to defect. Once someone does, however, the trend continues and you find yourself back at the point where evryones defecting. This means the only way to build a society where you can relax, enjoy yourself and build something up is by everyone cooperating and sticking to it.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Kriptonite said:
Ah, perhaps the term is upset? The whole 'You will all die alone. Unloved.' thing makes it seem like this issue strikes a particular chord with you is all. I'm saying, I'm here for you if you need it. I like helping people.
☻
...No, see, I don't do upset.
There are very few things that actually strike a chord, as you put it.

The easiest explanation is "I don't do emotion."
Read everything in a monotone.
See now I'm agreeing with Kriptonite you really need a hug, a pat on the head and maybe some form of cuddly anamorphic animal ahhhh here we go.

As to the topic at hand I believe both are intertwined emotions often mixing together, Hate is just another very different form of love as love is a very strange type of hate. You can only truly hate someone you really love and vise versa.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I vote for hate. You never hear people say that they committed genocide because they loved that particular group of people. Hate is stronger. It drives people to do insane things, like commit crimes against humanity.

RAI251

Aug 4, 2009
MiserableOldGit said:
Love -its been mathematically proven by the prisoner's dilemma. Debate over. Cheers, science...

This is a pretty interesting piece; an anecdote that can transcend into a lesson of morality . . . I like! Not sure if I can make a connection with a poll like this.

Does it matter which one is stronger? They exist as a matter of fact; it does not matter if one is stronger than the other.

MiserableOldGit

Apr 1, 2009
RamenIsAwesome said:
MiserableOldGit said:

This is a pretty interesting piece; an anecdote that can transcend into a lesson of morality . . . I like! Not sure if I can make a connection with a poll like this.

Does it matter which one is stronger? They exist as a matter of fact; it does not matter if
one is stronger than the other.
'course it matters! Hate and love , much like good and evil, or cooperation and defection are expresions of a broader issue - how should we conduct ourselves as creatures with higher mind functions? We are in a unique position as a species in that we can read the rules of the game rather than just play it- we can't afford to let an advantage like that pass us by- how else can we keep civilisation ticking over? I for one don't want to go back to being a bunch of hairy arsed barbarians.

Although it's called prisoners dilemma, this is just an example to highlight the mechanic of what is essentialy a game theory exercise-it can be applied to many different things, from animals grooming each other to nuclear war strategy. If anyones interested this site gives a better breakdown of its applications...

http://richarddawkins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57706

Kriptonite

Jul 3, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
...No, see, I don't do upset.
There are very few things that actually strike a chord, as you put it.

The easiest explanation is "I don't do emotion."
Read everything in a monotone.
You remind me of Raven. But alright, it you're sure you don't need any help...