Poll: What is the answer to 48/2(9+3)?

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
288 if I'm not mistaken, however I'd define the problem better if I wanted a more certain answer across the board.

Arenari

Servant of Marvin the Martian
Nov 20, 2009
Angry Caterpillar said:
Calculator says 288.

Hail to the robot overlord.
Well, my calculator says it's 2. How do you explain that?

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
Beryl77 said:
Both answers are correct, it depends on how you look at it.
Yeah I agree although more people will say 288 and this is just meant to mindf**k you because it can be both 48 or 48
- -
2 2(3+9)

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
teethofymir said:
2. Remember PEMDAS
PEMDAS does not matter if you can't understand what the problem is asking you. Write it out on paper guys. Seriously. The question asks
----
2(9+3)
It does NOT ask
--- * (9+3)
You have to reduce the denominator before you can divide. I can not stress this enough, when there is a division symbol, it means that it is a fraction.

Good job at getting the answer right, but really, people need to stop mentioning PEMDAS, because, like I said, it doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing.

Pakkie

Apr 4, 2010
Type it into google, google is always right.
A.L.W.A.Y.S
http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=48%2F2(9%2B3)#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=48%2F2(9%2B3)&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=48%2F2(9%2B3)&pbx=1&fp=e807647f54fc789f
288, nuff said.

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
Additional parentheses are needed to place 2(9+3) into the denominator as written (horizontal formats are ambiguous). Every algebra book will tell you that. Every math instructor will tell you that.
Math is not interpretative.
Again, while in school in Eastern Europe i have never seen any formula ever be written like that and only know of it because of computers...

Do try to understand, writing it one after another on the same exact line while using "/" is the problem, it's not such a wide spread way to do it, or at least it wasn't 8-10 years ago (i don't count college because the math teachers we had in 1st year where so old they wouldn't have used newer representations then anything pre-1960).

The proper way to write it would be using supra and subscript, but nowadays writing it 23/45 is also wide spread, but not as much as you seem to think (not everyone has heard of wikipedia you know): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solidus_%28punctuation%29#Mathematics

Like the metric system not everyone has the exact same symbols for the same math rule... and you're acting like they do or as if the symbols themselves matter (it's still the same math in arabic or kanji).

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Joseph Webb said:
teethofymir said:
2. Remember PEMDAS
PEMDAS does not matter if you can't understand what the problem is asking you. Write it out on paper guys. Seriously. The question asks
----
2(9+3)
It does NOT ask
--- * (9+3)
You have to reduce the denominator before you can divide. I can not stress this enough, when there is a division symbol, it means that it is a fraction.

Except that that's not how a computer does it, most likely because it reads things left to right, so when programming for it that's how you do it...

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
TO SHOUT A BIT...

THE ISSUE IS THAT PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS OF THE "/" SIGN, AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE...

IF SOMEONE EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM IN REAL WORLD TERMS NONE OF THIS CONFUSION WOULD HAPPEN!

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
mps4li3n said:
Joseph Webb said:
teethofymir said:
2. Remember PEMDAS
----
2(9+3)
It does NOT ask
--- * (9+3)

Except that that's not how a computer does it, most likely because it reads things left to right, so when programming for it that's how you do it...
That's exactly right. You have to dumb the equation down to allow a computer to get the question right. There are IMPLIED parentheses around 2(9+3), because it is IMPLIED that it is in the denominator thanks to the division symbol. Computers don't know to include the IMPLIED parentheses, so they give you the WRONG answer. That's why you DON'T trust calculators with math, unless you know how to do it yourself.

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
mps4li3n said:
TO SHOUT A BIT...

THE ISSUE IS THAT PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT INTERPRETATIONS OF THE "/" SIGN, AND NOT ANYTHING ELSE...

IF SOMEONE EXPLAINED THE PROBLEM IN REAL WORLD TERMS NONE OF THIS CONFUSION WOULD HAPPEN!
It's not that they have different interpretations of the division symbol, they simply do not know what it means.

Also, yes, I logged into this site purely because of this thread. It amazed me that so many of you don't know how to perform basic equations.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
It's really hard to tell with the way you wrote that horizontally. I can't tell if it's supposed to be

48(9+3)
____

or

_____

2(9+3)

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Jarl said:
Theron Julius said:
It's nothing more than simple PEMDAS

48/2*(9+3)

You do what's in the parentheses first

48/2*12
No.

You multiply into the paranthesis, as such:
2*(9+3) = (2*9)+(2*3) = 18+6 = 24

Then you do whatever multiplication or division comes first. In this case it was 48/2

24*12
Dude, wat? You'd do that if the question was (42/2)*(9+3). You can't divide by a single number in the denominator and leave out the rest. Everything "above" the division and everything "below" the division.

I hope this is not an indication of American math. Honestly, I suck at math, and this just seems like elementary school stuff to me. Whatever PEMDAS is, this is a clear and easy matter of calculating it using your brain, not a standard formula.

48/2(9+3) = 48/(2*9)+(2*3) = 48/18+6 = 48/24 = 2

Anything else is incorrect.
This is what i got as well

ie.

------- = 2
18+6

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
Rarhnor said:
Jarl said:
Theron Julius said:
It's nothing more than simple PEMDAS

48/2*(9+3)

You do what's in the parentheses first

48/2*12
No.

You multiply into the paranthesis, as such:
2*(9+3) = (2*9)+(2*3) = 18+6 = 24

Then you do whatever multiplication or division comes first. In this case it was 48/2

24*12
This is what i got as well

ie.

--- = 2
18+6
Dude, wat? You'd do that if the question was (42/2)*(9+3). You can't divide by a single number in the denominator and leave out the rest. Everything "above" the division and everything "below" the division.

I hope this is not an indication of American math. Honestly, I suck at math, and this just seems like elementary school stuff to me. Whatever PEMDAS is, this is a clear and easy matter of calculating it using your brain, not a standard formula.

48/2(9+3) = 48/(2*9)+(2*3) = 48/18+6 = 48/24 = 2

Anything else is incorrect.
American math is no different from math done anywhere else around the world. People everywhere don't know what the division symbol means, it is not based upon which country you live in. Don't go jumping to conclusions that just because some people in a forum primarily populated by Americans got a math question wrong, that means that all Americans do basic equations incorrectly.

Pontus Hashis

Feb 22, 2010
The thing is, our teacher told us that multiply and divide comes befor subtraction and addition, but not which comes first, but not which of multiplying or dividing is first... but now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Joseph Webb said:
mps4li3n said:
TO SHOUT A BIT...

It's not that they have different interpretations of the division symbol, they simply do not know what it means.

Also, yes, I logged into this site purely because of this thread. It amazed me that so many of you don't know how to perform basic equations.
If you had read my previous posts you'd understand that i have never actually seen the "/"symbol used in a class room where i'm from... we used ":" instead (no tiny line in between either) and the underscore thing for fractions or suprascript and underscript with "/" .

First time i saw it done like in the OP it was very confusing to me...

So regional variants do exist, even if they're more minute then in language etc.

And that's the problem, it's not a perfectly uniform system worldwide when it comes to how you read a formula, even if the math behind it is exactly the same.

If we knew exactly what was being calculated (someone posted an example with 48 days and half shifts that would result in 228) there would be no confusion at all.

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
Pontus Hashis said:
The thing is, our teacher told us that multiply and divide comes befor subtraction and addition, but not which comes first, but not which of multiplying or dividing is first... but now I know, and knowing is half the battle!
It is not a matter of which you do first, it's a matter of understanding the question. Read the last 10 or so comments, and you'll see how to do the problem very neatly. Also, yes, I'm going to keep replying to this thread until people stop getting the answer wrong. I will apparently never be done responding.

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Pontus Hashis said:
Because neither does... 48/2 is the same as 48*0.5, if you know that you don't need to have any come first...

The issue here is that it's not clear if the fraction is 48/2 or 48/2(9+3). And obviously people have been taught both variations.