Poll: What is the answer to 48/2(9+3)?

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Joseph Webb said:
I highly advise that you A. get a math tutor B. accept that you are mentally impaired or C. stop trolling.
I realise being wrong is hard for some people, but this was unnecessarily harsh.

The fact that you think you are smarter than calculators and programming probably means that you're not very open to being proven wrong...

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Joseph Webb said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
Equation should be written (48/2)(9+3) meaning 24*12=288. The only real question is not one of math but of syntax. The answer depends on the intended meaning of how it was written, if 2 is a coefficient of (9+3) it's different.

I don't see how this many "intelligent" people can disagree on the issue.
2 IS a coefficient of (9+3). Duh. There's only one correct way to interpret the question, and (48/2)(9+3) is not it. They would have typed that up instead if they wanted the answer 288.

An another thing, if the majority is interpreting it wrong, while putting it in another form that's just as correct (even if more bracket heavy) makes them interpret it right one should consider that it's a better idea to use the version most people get...

It's not like using one spelling version of the other affect the math itself.

48/2(9+3) and 48/[2(9+3)] are the same, aren't they? Why not make the one people get easier the default?

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
Joseph Webb said:
Enrathi said:
Joseph Webb said:
drdamo said:
I aced my equations exam as the only in my summerclass and since then I haven't been pointed out that I'm wrong. And I have to do a fair ammount of equations being an environmental science student and all, so if you have a different opinion I respect that, but don't think I'll "see the error of my ways" when a total stranger says so, compared to a school filled with teachers who give me the thumbs up for my work.
If your answer was 288, then you're wrong. http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm There's a link as to why, maybe it'll help you understand the error of your ways. It doesn't even include /difficult topics/ like the distributive method. REMEMBER, the division symbol they use is the EXACT same as the / symbol. Scroll down until you see them solve Simplify 16 ÷ 2[8 ? 3(4 ? 2)] + 1. that problem. It EVEN states how calculators solve these types of problems incorrectly! AMAZING!
And to quote from your own reference:
(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)

I will again stick with my answer of 288 because as has been stated by others, I'm a programmer and as I've been trained to read and write equations, 288 is the correct answer.
That's great and all, but you are not a mathematician. Clearly. You do NOT solve this problem as a computer would, because computers SOLVE THIS TYPE OF PROBLEM INCORRECTLY. I'VE SAID IT TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Calculators assume that anything with a / is a fraction in and of itself. It is NOT smart enough to determine between a denominator and a fraction. If you are a computer, good job, you solved the problem correctly. Alas, we are human, and not machines, so we solve mathematical equations the good old fashioned way, with pen and paper. STOP arguing that machines are correct in this aspect. They are not.
I'm not arguing that they are correct. What I am saying is that because that's the way they handle it and that I'm a programmer, that's the way I handle it. An equation with multiple interpretations will have multiple answers. And yes, there are multiple interpretations because of the fact that we are now using machines to argue the point and that someone had to program said machines.

I would also like to quote your reference again since you use it as to why we're all wrong. He didn't say that everything after the / was the denominator, but that the parens implied a higher precedence over standard division and multiplication then went on to also say:

In cases of ambiguity, be very careful of your parentheses, and make your meaning clear. The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!

(And please do not send me an e-mail either asking for or else proffering a definitive verdict on this issue. As far as I know, there is no such final verdict. And telling me to do this your way will not solve the issue!)

Even your own source as to why the rest of us suck at math admits that not all mathematicians and teachers interpret it the same way. General consensus does not mean 100% fact.

EDIT: Left out a point.

KarlixLV

Apr 29, 2010
mps4li3n said:
48/2(9+3) and 48/[2(9+3)] are the same, aren't they?
They are not the same. In the first one at first you do 9+3 then 48/2 and then 24*12, in the second one you first do 9+3 then 2*12 and then 48/24.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
mps4li3n said:
48/2(9+3) and 48/[2(9+3)] are the same, aren't they? Why not make the one people get easier the default?
No they are not. Adding new brackets which change the order of operations is not some kind of mathematical rule you can employ.

The equation is 48/2(9+3)

You do the brackets first 9+3 =12

Then you do division and multiplication from left to right

48/2 = 24
24*12 = 288

Or if you prefer to distribute

(48/2)*9 + (48/2)*3 = 216 + 72 = 288

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Joseph Webb said:
You distributed wrong. IT would be (16/2)*8 + (16/2)*0 which gives you 64.
I highly advise that you A. get a math tutor B. accept that you are mentally impaired or C. stop trolling.[/quote]

How about you understand that the link you provided said this at the bottom:

"""" The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!"""

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

Notice the word CONSENSUS instead of something like THE ONLY RIGHT WAY?!

Yeah, standardisation (of symbols, math doesn't need it any more then the earth needs to be made to comply to GMT exactly) doesn't happen by magic.

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Taerdin said:
mps4li3n said:
No they are not. Adding new brackets which change the order of operations is not some kind of mathematical rule you can employ.
I meant for the way the guy i was responding to was doing it... jeez.

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
mps4li3n said:
Joseph Webb said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
Equation should be written (48/2)(9+3) meaning 24*12=288. The only real question is not one of math but of syntax. The answer depends on the intended meaning of how it was written, if 2 is a coefficient of (9+3) it's different.

2 IS a coefficient of (9+3). Duh. There's only one correct way to interpret the question, and (48/2)(9+3) is not it. They would have typed that up instead if they wanted the answer 288.

An another thing, if the majority is interpreting it wrong, while putting it in another form that's just as correct (even if more bracket heavy) makes them interpret it right one should consider that it's a better idea to use the version most people get...

It doesn't matter which way you word it, it's the same thing. The fact that people are too dense to understand it is not my fault, it's theirs. Personally, yes, I would use brackets (to help those of us who aren't as intelligent or math-savvy), but I didn't write the initial equation.

Taerdin said:
Joseph Webb said:
I highly advise that you A. get a math tutor B. accept that you are mentally impaired or C. stop trolling.
I realise being wrong is hard for some people, but this was unnecessarily harsh.

The fact that you think you are smarter than calculators and programming probably means that you're not very open to being proven wrong...
I don't THINK I'm right, I KNOW I'm right. I'm not being unnecessarily harsh. It's not my fault that you weren't taught in school how to solve a problem like this. You don't need brackets because 2 is a coefficient of (9+3), meaning it is directly related to (9+3). I'll give you a quick math lesson just to help you out. Let's look at the problem (CORRECTLY). 48/2(9+3) What else can we do with this problem? Oh, I know, we can take a 2 out of 48, making the problem 2(24)/2(9+3). That's not all though, we can turn 24 into something else as well! The problem can then become 2(18+6)/2(9+3). That's pretty cool and all, but where does that get us? OH! Now we can cancel out the 2 in both the numerator and the denominator (because when you divide 2 by 2, you get one! AMAZING). We're left with (18+6)/(9+3). If we follow the order of operations, we get to 24/12. What does 24/12=? THE ANSWER IS 2! However, if you couldn't solve the problem the regular way, I doubt you could follow my SUPER(!) difficult method of arriving at the SAME answer!

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Enrathi said:
I'm not arguing that they are correct. What I am saying is that because that's the way they handle it and that I'm a programmer, that's the way I handle it. An equation with multiple interpretations will have multiple answers. And yes, there are multiple interpretations because of the fact that we are now using machines to argue the point and that someone had to program said machines.

I would also like to quote your reference again since you use it as to why we're all wrong. He didn't say that everything after the / was the denominator, but that the parens implied a higher precedence over standard division and multiplication then went on to also say:

In cases of ambiguity, be very careful of your parentheses, and make your meaning clear. The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!

Even your own source as to why the rest of us suck at math admits that not all mathematicians and teachers interpret it the same way. General consensus does not mean 100% fact.

EDIT: Left out a point.

Sorry to tell you, but i already posted that, he just can't see it because he doesn't want to understand the argument as not relating to math but the symbols used to denote the mathematical formula to be used.

Joseph Webb

Apr 8, 2011
mps4li3n said:
Joseph Webb said:
How about you understand that the link you provided said this at the bottom:

"""" The general consensus among math people is that "multiplication by juxtaposition" (that is, multiplying by just putting things next to each other, rather than using the "×" sign) indicates that the juxtaposed values must be multiplied together before processing other operations. But not all software is programmed this way, and sometimes teachers view things differently. If in doubt, ask!"""

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/orderops2.htm

Notice the word CONSENSUS instead of something like THE ONLY RIGHT WAY?!

Yeah, standardisation (of symbols, math doesn't need it any more then the earth needs to be made to comply to GMT exactly) doesn't happen by magic.[/quote] You've just proven your idiocy to me. It just said that if there's no multiplication sign, you do that part of the function first, even if your calculator doesn't do this. Seriously, now you can't even display basic reading comprehension? I must be arguing with a 8 year old.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Joseph Webb said:
I don't THINK I'm right, I KNOW I'm right. I'm not being unnecessarily harsh.
That's debatable

Joseph Webb said:
I'll give you a quick math lesson just to help you out. Let's look at the problem (CORRECTLY). 48/2(9+3) What else can we do with this problem? Oh, I know, we can take a 2 out of 48, making the problem 2(24)/2(9+3). That's not all though, we can turn 24 into something else as well! The problem can then become 2(18+6)/2(9+3). That's pretty cool and all, but where does that get us? OH! Now we can cancel out the 2 in both the numerator and the denominator (because when you divide 2 by 2, you get one! AMAZING). We're left with (18+6)/(9+3). If we follow the order of operations, we get to 24/12. What does 24/12=? THE ANSWER IS 2! However, if you couldn't solve the problem the regular way, I doubt you could follow my SUPER(!) difficult method of arriving at the SAME answer!
You made the problem too complicated for yourself and made a slight error

When you were at this step...

2(18+6)/2(9+3)

You can indeed cancel out the 2 with the 2 in the denominator, but then you are left with (18+6)(9+3) which is equal to 24*12 which is in fact 288.

I can see how you would make a mistake though. Try to keep it simple in the future :)

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Taerdin said:
Pyro Paul said:
Parenthisis calls for you to distribute then calculate.

a better example of this
16/2(8)
verses
16/2*8

16/2(8) expands out to
16 / 2(8+0) which when distributed.
16 / (2*8 + 2*0) which calculates out to
16 / 16
Incorrect.

2(8) is an unfinished equation that is simplified. 2(8+0)
if you modify an equation, you have to modify it all together.

as such.
16 / (2(8+0))
is the proper way to write this out.

suffice it to say, your calculation breaks the order of operations and places division in presidence over parentheses...

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Pyro Paul said:
suffice it to say, your calculation breaks the order of operations and places division in presidence over parentheses...
And you brought multiplication into the parentheses before evaluating the expression inside the parentheses...

The point is, you distributed the denominator of a fraction inside the brackets, instead of the entire fraction.

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Joseph Webb said:
mps4li3n said:
Joseph Webb said:
Sightless Wisdom said:

It doesn't matter which way you word it, it's the same thing. The fact that people are too dense to understand it is not my fault, it's theirs. Personally, yes, I would use brackets (to help those of us who aren't as intelligent or math-savvy), but I didn't write the initial equation.

My point is that just as there are multiple ways to write an equation there can be multiple ways to interpret what math function (i have no clue if the word is right, non-native speaker and all, i menat in the way + denotes multiplication, while for an alien it wouldn't) a certain symbol describes depending on who's teaching it...

Like i said, your link even warns that not everyone sees 2(x+y) and 2*(x+y) as different when in relation with / .

Obviously that means they see the symbol itself differently, but not math...

Think of it as inverting the meaning of " - and + " with " / and * " ... math wouldn't change at all but everyone that knew + as addition, while now it's multiplication would be very confused... And remember that the + sign is not that old (15 century: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plus_and_minus_signs#History), while everyone on earth was doing math long before it.

And look at how Wolfram Alpha spread it out in the input field: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=48%2F2%289%2B3%29 If it was written like that (in the input field i mean) here too the answer would be no question about it.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
KarlixLV said:
To clarify things here is how you arrive at 288 and how it should be written to get 2.
Here is the problem with that...
how does 48/2(9+3) become 48/2*(9+3)?

2(9+3) is NOT 2 * (9+3)
it is the simplified form of
((2*9)+(2*3))

by it your way you break the order of operations and Divide before you complete the Parentheses.

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Taerdin said:
Pyro Paul said:
And you brought multiplication into the parentheses before evaluating the expression inside the parentheses...
And that's not wrong actually...

2(1+2)=2*1+2*2=2*(1+2)

The issue is what the "/" symbol before it does...

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
Joseph Webb said:
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. 2(18+6)/2(9+3) can also be written as
2(18+6)
-------
2(9+3)
As you can blatantly see, 2(18+6) is the numerator. Meaning that the WHOLE numerator is being divided by the WHOLE denominator 2(9+3). When you cancel out portions of a function, the fraction doesn't just disappear. It's still there. Cancelling out the 2s is basically changing the equation to mean
1(18+6)
-------
1(9+3)
Which still equals 2. If you can't understand this concept, you're a troll. Shut up.
I clearly understand your error, I'm not a troll.

The expression is actually this...

2(18+6) * (9+3)
-------

But I could see how you would interpret it the other way if you are not used to using computers or calculators, and do all your calculations elementary school style (purely on paper)

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
Spot1990 said:
2(9+3) isn't indicated as being grouped so you have to treat them separately.
incorrect.

2(9+3) is not indicated as being Separate.
we have to treat it like it is a complex equation and distribute the 2 before we continue the equation.

in order for the equation to be considered Seperate there would need to be a symbol between the 2 and the parentheses.

like:
2*(9+3)

mps4li3n

Apr 8, 2011
Pyro Paul said:
Here is the problem with that...
how does 48/2(9+3) become 48/2*(9+3)?

2(9+3) is NOT 2 * (9+3)
it is the simplified form of
((2*9)+(2*3))
And that's the problem, obviously not everyone was taught that 2(x+y) and 2*(x+y) aren't the same thing simplified by not bothering with the *

It's all a simple case of grammatical syntax as applied to the way math is written (and make no mistake, the symbols used as as arbitrary as letters, while math is simply the ability to speak).