Poll: What is/was your favourite "era" of WoW

Stevey M

Technobabbler
Feb 11, 2009
For me it's WOTLK, but I find it really interesting how close the poll is. I see you cleverly asked for our 'favourite' era, rather than the 'best', and I think the reason that the poll is so close is because people relate 'favourite' to 'having the most fun'.

For some people, the most exciting time would have been exploring the world for the first time. Or perhaps exploring it all over again a second time. For others, it may be the first time they entered a serious raid or PvP battle. Or it could even be a period when the people they were playing with were really fun.

My thinking is that the reason the poll is so balanced is because WoW has never been bad. There's always been plenty of opportunities to make the game phenomenal, and when players invested in the game the most, that's when it was most fun for them. And, subsequently, that was their best era.

Andreson

Jun 18, 2011
None, MMO's are a plague upon gaming, the amount of grinding it requires is pathetic.

Derek Bradley

Mar 12, 2010
Vanilla, mainly because the world felt more expansive, progress actually meant something, Devs didn't hand out loot like candy at a pedophile's house at Halloween, and the game was built for adventure, not to gain as many subscribers as possible. WoW's fast popularity was it's downfall. They saw numbers long before they saw quality.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I only played during Burning crusade but I played post-Cata at my friends house and it just didnt feel the same. No idea why

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Gabanuka said:
I only played during Burning crusade but I played post-Cata at my friends house and it just didnt feel the same. No idea why
That seems to me to be a given. You had almost two expansion packs between playing.

vehystrix

Nov 18, 2009
Vanilla, when epics were truly epic, and raiding felt like you were making a huge undertaking to bring down a dragon with a fuckton of people all performing their task like a well oiled machine. (compare the complexity of managing and organizing a 40 man raid to current 10 or even 25 mans).

TBC wasn't bad, but after the wotlk beta I decided to stick to TBC and became a 70 twink (bring the hate, ye 85s!)

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Vanilla was the most fun for me(still playing WoW).

Ever since Blizzard merged with Activision we have seen decline in the game throughout the expansions.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
I'm going to be the weird person here and say that so far Cataclysm is my favorite. It's really cool being able to play as a Worgen, Deathwing has always been one of my favorite WoW villains(I love the dragon lore in WoW), and the revamping of all the early areas makes it more interesting to play as an alt in case I get bored with my main. I never really got into TBC, and WotLK just felt too easy.

Smorlock

Feb 7, 2010
Gluzzbung said:
I'm going to say, mists of Pandaria is going to be aweful.

Panda Monks? We can;t be running out of Intellectual property that fast, can we?
So I've heard a lot of people complain about the panda monks. Why? What about them doesn't fit with the rest of WoW? Anthropomorphic animals are everywhere in WoW. Why are people reacting differently to pandas than cows, or walruses? I don't get it. Are they somehow sillier? And if so, does that somehow guarantee that the game will be bad? Does it really matter if you're playing as a garden gnome or a panda if the game is good?
Also, as far as I have noticed, people have been clamouring for Pandaren since vanilla. Now they are delivered and people say Blizzard has run out of ideas? Hardly, since this idea has been demanded by fans for the last five years.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
wrath. why? because it gave us fucking ULDAUR which is and shall forever be the best raid ever made.

cswurt

Oct 26, 2011
The era when people didn't think it would make them cool to spout random negative shit about WoW.
You can't blink your eyes on any forums without seeing some "hurrhurr wow sucks" thread by some jackoff whose mom stopped paying for his subscription.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
I'm gonna have to say Wrath of the Lich King. I got into WoW during TBC so I missed on Vanilla WoW. Compared to Outlands, I just just had more fun in Northrend.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
vanilla was the best for me. with vanilla wow i would generally play like 5 hours a day. with each expansion i found myself playing less and less until, by lich king, i barely played at all and just decided to close my account

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
TBC was my favourite era. That period was the time I spent the most time on it (and was actually able to without other aspects of my life suffering...too much). Also, I preferred the zones featured in TBC than in Wrath and (to a lesser extent) Cata. Nagrand, Zamgermarsh & Netherstorm are the kind of zones for me.

That said, I much preferred the guild I was in during Wrath and Cata than the one I spent my Vanilla/TBC days in.