Poll: What is/was your favourite "era" of WoW

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Era before the whole WoW thing, don't think it has brought anything good to gaming or anything good at all for that matter.

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
TBC was my favourite time because I had a great arena teammate (season 3 duelist!) and (imo) the balance was great. But then WotLK came and the burstfest began, ruining PvP for me.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
TBC.

I started WoW in January 2008. I bought it thinking it would be nice to have something to play on my computer while at college, since I didn't bring a game system. Of course, when I acquired it for myself for my crappy laptop from 2004, I had to turn off the fancy visual effects and immerse the CPU in liquid oxygen to get it to run at 15 FPS. Nontheless, I still enjoyed it, even though as a paladin, my DPS was laughable and I had to restore my mana after every damn fight.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Burning Crusade. Not just because it was when I started, but I probably had some of the best luck around back then. Though I got into the game through a friend's account probably somewhere around late T4/early T5, I didn't end up getting an account until a few months later, and by the time I hit 70, BT was already out. Long story short, I got into a freshly-made guild with a few veteran raiders in it, and managed to steamroll through the content, finally defeating Illidan and beating the first two bosses of Sunwell before the nerf patch hit.

Neither Wrath or Cata could compare to that feeling of accomplishment. Even though the guild I was in persisted and become the second best on the server, things just didn't feel the same. The overall feel of plowing through the content became less about having fun and more about minmaxing, and a change in leadership certainly didn't help things. In the end, while I wouldn't have wanted to play WoW any other way, the constant rush to clear the content just left us with so much time on our hands, time that otherwise was spent constantly progressing back in BC.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
As a druid, I'll have to say BC. It kept the hard raids from Vanilla, but also let you do things other than healing. Tanked my way through Karazhan all the way up to Hyjal.

Edit: Also, the arena system was at it's peak back then. I miss playing 5v5...

Sojoez said:
This applies to everyone:

"My favorite era, was the era that I started playing it!"
I started playing in December 2005. Ha! Beaten the system!

Phrytar

Apr 6, 2010
TBC. For some reason, i think the instances and the raids were much more interesting than those in Vanilla (save AQ40 and BWL) and those in Wrath. Downing KT and Illidan are still some of my best gaming memories up to date.
Wrath had great quests and instances, but I found the raids to be kinda "meh".

Devil's Due

Sep 27, 2008
Vanilla, without a doubt. Story time!

Oh goodness, I remember with serious fondness being a new player in the Vanilla days. The amount of hilarious things that'd happen, the friendships you'd forge, it was all epic beyond belief. Not the mention the PvP was epic beyond words. I still remember the day as a level 20, with my other friend a level 20, both of us sneaking into Horde territory as young night elfs. We were so confused by the game still, so new. The times we attacked guards and became flagged and ran for our lives by shadowmelding whenever a horde member would run by, then we'd run up the side of the barrens mountain and camp there literally all night, planning, trying to figure out how to get back home (we kind of uh, destroyed our Heartstones. Vanilla was a crazy time. Don't ask).

It took us hours how to figure out to sneak back alive while dodging patroling 60's. I'm not even joking, the amount of fun I had that night was the most in my five years of WoW. Then it became a downward spiral once TBC hit, everything felt bland. Even PvP was bland by then. 35,000 player kills and it was just boring. All that people wanted was to rush in AV, do the boring grindfest Arenas, and disturbingly over-inflated markets caused nightmares. Even my friend became bored after all that time and soon tried out raiding, becoming less and less of a friend over the years. What started off as a friendship between two level 10's in the Nightelf starting area, and became best buds for a year until TBC hit, soon became an annoying "do I really even want to talk to this person anymore?" kind of feeling. And by the time WotLK launched, all my best friends of those years had left. Every single one. Amazing friends that I had for years.

With a broken game, destroyed community, and abandoned by all my friends of years... I left. And have never gone back.

In my eyes, WoW died the day TBC hit. Rest in peace, World of Warcraft vanilla. You were buggy. You were confusing. But you were the most damn fun I ever had in my video gaming life. Take care, ol' bud.

zenoaugustus

Feb 5, 2009
It's all about that Vanilla and Burning Crusade, folks. I was a Druid, so it was great trying to explain to fellow raiders I was all about being feral in vanilla (for the most part, raiding druids knew what was good for them and were resto).

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
Of all of them, my favourite is the Burning Crusade "era". Mostly cause it's the only one I played substantially. Plus I loved Blood Elves.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Vanilla.

Back when the gear you had was good for both PvP and PvE, outdoor PvP wasn't just a thing you did in an instanced island and the game had less rules and resilience was just a funny word you'd read in older novels.

I played a druid and i used to solo some bosses in LBRS. I also played a warlock and i remember doing 3vs1 outdoor pvp and winning or 1-shotting enemies? How? Fuck rules, that's how!

Ditzydoo

Nov 15, 2011
Honestly, I don't have a fav era they all have plus points n negatives so there is no point in siding with one over the other.....can I have a muffin for my neutral stance? :D

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
This has always been strange to me: that most people seem to like TBC best. I hated it.

For the record I played WoW from the beta off and on until about two and a half months after Cataclysm, and TBC marks the longest break I took from the game while still playing (about a year). I genuinely thought it was the least fun part of WoW, and I still hate the aesthetics for it: it was hideous, especially the gear.

Strange as it is, especially for someone who played vanilla, I would have to say my favourite 'era' of WoW was the later parts of Wrath and the release of Cataclysm. I loved the tournament, the instances were just better with more interesting boss fights, and flying mounts are FUN. I wanted to fly in WoW since I first played it (not in lame Outland mind you, but in Azeroth proper).

That being said Cataclysm also marked a point for me where it started to lose its appeal permanently. I think Cata added a lot of great things but in some ways it was just too... meh. Although I honestly did like all the Cata instances at launch.

stiver

Oct 17, 2007
When it was called Warcraft III, and thought went into making Warcraft an interesting concept and game.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Haven't played much in my days but vanilla.
Because when it was released back then I had more than one friend asking "what there's a monthly fee?"... or "Do you have Internet all the time to play this?"..

The fun thing is I'm not making this up so many wanting to get in to gaming and to know what "WoW" was, so sad it was wow... ;-P