Poll: What is your favorite DC Animated Universe show?

Towowo

Sep 22, 2008
Excelsior789 said:
Batman: TAS all the way. But you're missing Teen Titans (2nd fav)
The biggest problem is that Teen Titans aren't part of the DCAU at least I don't think they are.

sailor_960

Jan 12, 2010
It has to be JLU for me. The series serves as a fantastic capstone to the DCAU. Also there's Epilogue, which is just awesome in every way.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Kenbo Slice said:
Well, what's your favorite DCAU show? And if you're wondering why Teen Titans, Young Justice, or Green Lantern isn't on this list it's because they don't take place in the same continuity.
Teen Titans does take place in the same continuity. In one of the Static Shock episodes Static teams up with Batman, and when he asks Batman where Robin is Batman replies that Robin is with the Teen Titans, and that Static might meet them some day (which he never did because then the show got cancelled).

Also, I can't believe I actually remembered that. I haven't watched Static Shock in at least 8 years or so.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Justice League Unlimited was the shit and I wished they would have continued for a bit.

And please tell me that they want to bring back Young Justice cuz it opened itself up to a new season

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
It's a hard pick between Batman and Justice League, but as much as I love batman, I'll have to go with Justice League, that show just had so much going, a great cast of characters, proper season spanning storylines, writing that could make you sad when /Solomon Grundy/ died(!), I mean why they don't get Bruce Timm and Paul Dini to write and plan the DC live action stuff I will never know.

Considering how badly all over the place the DC LA stuff is, you'd think they'd have them over see it, we all know that the animated stuff kicks ass and DC must know how much we love it.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
matthew_lane said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Teen Titans does take place in the same continuity. In one of the Static Shock episodes Static teams up with Batman, and when he asks Batman where Robin is Batman replies that Robin is with the Teen Titans, and that Static might meet them some day
A reference to the Teen Titans is not a reference to the cartoon of the same name. Teen Titans cartoon is not in the same continuity as the DCAU.
Then why go out of the way to make reference to it at all? It's obvious that they planned a crossover between the two series and the shows just never made it long enough for the cross overs to actually happen.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Well, what's your favorite DCAU show? And if you're wondering why Teen Titans, Young Justice, or Green Lantern isn't on this list it's because they don't take place in the same continuity.
Teen Titans does take place in the same continuity. In one of the Static Shock episodes Static teams up with Batman, and when he asks Batman where Robin is Batman replies that Robin is with the Teen Titans, and that Static might meet them some day (which he never did because then the show got cancelled).

Also, I can't believe I actually remembered that. I haven't watched Static Shock in at least 8 years or so.
Not quite.

See, originally, Static was indeed intended to join the Teen Titans, but due to lots of hoops that the creators would have had to jump through, it never went through.

As it stands, the connections between the Teen Titans continuity and the DC Animated Universe continuity are tenuous at best, and impossible at worst. Even ignoring the obvious tonal differences between them, there's simply too many continuity irregularities to be ignored (such as the Gordanians, which Robin is part of the team, etc.). Aside from amusing vocal cast choices in Justice League episodes (Wild Cards and Patriot Act, specifically), there's not really anything directly connecting Teen Titans to DC Animated.

Also, this is entirely unrelated, but I'm glad to see Static Shock getting so much love in the poll. I always thought that Static Shock was considered kinda the black sheep of the DC Animated Universe. I always liked that show, and even now there's alot of things about it that I respect.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Justice league and Justice league unlimited. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Batman animated show. I never missed an episode of Justice league.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I love them all in fact I even have all the the DVD's for every show available on DVD. Personally I have to go with either of the Batman's they both play off each other so well. I wish they did more with Static Shock in the continuity way to often people forget he is in there. Hell even in the Beyond comics coming out the author has no idea he exists in this continuity. I even emailed him about it and he had no idea. Drives me nuts since Static is a really fun character who really doesn't get his due credit enough.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Really tough call between Batman:TAS and Batman Beyond. Ultimately, for me, it came down the fact that TAS had more episodes that really stick out to me and that Batman Beyond had a crap series finale.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Batman Beyond...because it was pretty damn imaginative. I loved the future Gotham setting, and Terry was about the best Batman successor I can think of. I remember more of that series than any of the others mentioned, so it gets my vote simply for being memorable.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Sparrow said:
Batman Beyond was the hypest fucking shit when I was a kid. It gets my vote for nostalgia alone.
First you say this...

Recently though, I'm much more of a fan of the DC Animated films. I mean holy shit, did you guys see The Dark Knight Returns? Talk about nailing it.
How could you follow that with this?

Most of the animated adaptations of comics have been pretty good, but DKR and ESPECIALLY ASSman were subpar.

(New Frontier, and Red Hood are my favorites)

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
Kenbo Slice said:

I am fairly sure you are misremembering it because Robin was with Batman the entire time during that eps.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Too. Many. Choices.

Probably because I grew up with it, Batman TAS. But I love all the JLA related stuff as well.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
aba1 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Kenbo Slice said:

I am fairly sure you are misremembering it because Robin was with Batman the entire time during that eps.
You're thinking of the wrong episode. Batman and Static have multiple cross overs. The episode you're thinking of is probably "The Big Leagues," where Batman and Robin come to Dakota, and you're right, Robin is in that one. The episode I'm talking about though is "Hard as Nails" where Static comes to Gotham, and Robin isn't in that episode.

According to wiki the Teen Titans actually were planned to be a cross over (hence the remark in "Hard as Nails," but those plans ended up falling through because the episodes they were planned to be in would have ended up airing before the Teen Titans TV show had actually premiered, so the writers rewrote the episodes to involve the Justice League instead.

So considering the fact that a cross over between the shows was planned, it means that the shows were considered to be in the same continuity, even if the cross over never went through.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Justice League and Justice League Unlimited (voted unlimited)

The other shows are great but I feel JL and JLU have more characters to work with, which gives it a huge advantage over the others.

I wish they would bring it back, or one of the other DCAU series. Young Justice was.....acceptable, but lacked oomph

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Dirty Hipsters said:
aba1 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Kenbo Slice said:

You're thinking of the wrong episode. Batman and Static have multiple cross overs. The episode you're thinking of is probably "The Big Leagues," where Batman and Robin come to Dakota, and you're right, Robin is in that one. The episode I'm talking about though is "Hard as Nails" where Static comes to Gotham, and Robin isn't in that episode.

According to wiki the Teen Titans actually were planned to be a cross over (hence the remark in "Hard as Nails," but those plans ended up falling through because the episodes they were planned to be in would have ended up airing before the Teen Titans TV show had actually premiered, so the writers rewrote the episodes to involve the Justice League instead.

So considering the fact that a cross over between the shows was planned, it means that the shows were considered to be in the same continuity, even if the cross over never went through.
Forgot about that eps :p. Some of that stuff is actually really interesting!