Poll: What Is Your Favourite Cartoon (Not Anime)

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Futurama the last season had a few disappointing episodes but it,s still entertaining.

honeybunch

Nov 27, 2007
Like a lot of other people, mine favorite is Avatar: The Last Airbender. I'm also a big fan of a lot of the DCAU shows, mostly the ones which Bruce Timm was involved in, such as Batman:TAS and the Justice League. And Teen Titans, which was extremely variable but could be very good. If I limit myself to episodic comedy, South Park can be incredibly clever and funny, although sometimes it seems to tend towards pointless vulgarity. Still, don't know why you don't have it up there.

Nickompoop said:
MLP is my favorite cartoon, and Avatar is my favorite anime.

Look, people, you got to accept that Avatar is, in fact, an anime. Just because it's made in the US does not mean it can't be an anime. Anime is not region-specific, it's a drawing and animation style. Get it right.
Given that it's a loan word from Japanese, and that the original Japanese meaning has never been what it meant in English, it really doesn't make sense to make absolute claims like that. The way a word is used is what defines what it means, and frankly I hear more people who use it to mean "cartoons from Japan" than I do people who use it to define a certain style of animation. Not to mention that if you define it stylistically, you have to decide what style anime is, and given the stylistic variation present in Japanese cartoons, you'd likely have to do so in a way that would exclude some of them from the "anime" umbrella.

If you want to use anime to talk about a certain style, I won't tell you you're wrong, but I will say that you'll probably do a better job getting your meaning across by using a phrase such as "anime inspired". On the other hand, if you tell me I'm wrong for using anime to refer to animation from a specific geopolitical region, then I'll just respond to that by pointing out that definitions of a word change according to how it's actually used, and by far the most common way I've heard it used is to refer to cartoons from Japan.

Daniel Janhagen

Mar 28, 2011
The Venture Bros. An easy choice.

edit: Even though it was an easy choice, I still have to mention Daria (as others have). It was awesome.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Tourette said:
Southpark all the way.
YES, FINALLY! Why did it take so long for someone to say South Park? That show has been on for over 14 years now, and it has yet to see the stark dip in quality seen in the other big cartoons, particularly Family Guy and The Simpsons. On the contrary, for me, South Park just keeps getting better! I absolutely adore the characters, I love how the show is always dealing with and lampooning some contemporary issue, and I love how it always manages to make me laugh.

Here's to the good times.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Thundercats (the original not the new ones although the new ones are good).
Bucky O Hare.
Dogtanian and the Muskahounds.
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

Ahhh my youth, how I loved thee.

gruggins

Apr 24, 2011
two pages and no mention of adventure time? HERESY!

EDIT: Damn I missed my one-hundredth post

Mafoobula

Sep 30, 2009
My obvious answer is MLP:FiM simply because A) The show itself is awesome, and B) I haven't been this interested in the associated content (memebase, fanfics and such) since Pokemon. But like I said, that's too obvious.
If I had to go recent, Metalocalypse and The Boondocks are all kinds of awesome.
Going back in time, we have Batman Beyond, the 90's Batman cartoon, Animaniacs, Pokemon (mostly nostalgia for the theme song), and going WAAAAY back, Looney Tunes.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Adventure Time.

Come on grab your friends.

We'll go to very distant lands.

With Jake the dog and Finn the human.

The fun will never end.

It's Adventure Time!

Violator[xL]

Nov 14, 2007
It just has to be Jayce and the Wheel Warriors. And Transformers G1 (although the thick pink layer of nostalgia over it makes it a heck lot better than it actually was, in my mind it was as good as the '87 movie)

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends," people, come on!

Also have soft spots for "Hey Arnold," "Angry Beavers," they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
ive probably got the most enjoyment out of South Park, seeing as it is hilarious and has been on for so long.

but i think my favorite would have to be Avatar: The Last Airbender. its definitely the most well-made cartoon ive ever seen. i cant wait for the new series

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
I can't really decide between Angry Beavers, MLP:FiM, Avatar: The Last Airbender and Futurama.

But if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Angry Beavers, simply because it's so nostalgic to me. Me and my bro used to watch that show all the time, and I'm really sad that it doesn't air on TV in Holland anymore (as far as I know...probably not)