Poll: What percentage of games that you purchase are brand new, $60 titles?

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Recently, just Dark Souls 360 for around £38 and Esp Galuda 2 and Mushi Mushi Pork / Pink Sweets which are 2 JPN region free shmups I imported at £60 each.

Most block buster AAAs are too generic to be worth £40 and I don't really have the cash to throw down on a game i'll get board of after 20hours. So i'll buy new when it drops under £30. Most games that I want day1 or full price are either budget boxed 360 games like Akia Katana or under £20 on Steam and XBLA.

Still I try to avoid buying used because paying £30 for a used game is a shitty thing to do if you actually care about gaming.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well, the last game I purchased new (Before Borderlands 2) was Halo Anniversary, and that came out in November last year. Since then I have purchased MANY games, all of which were on Steam sale, so I blame that.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
After Dragon Age 2 I pretty much just decided against buying games on day one, week one, etc. I'll still pick up a new game but I havne't grabbed a new, $60 game in months upon, months if not longer. The last games I bought brand new (ie: within their first week) were The Last Story (which I think was $50) and Kirby's Dream Collection ($40). Everything else I've bought recently have been games in my, "Boy I wish I had this game X years ago" list. Games like the PS2's GTA3 bundle which I grabbed for $20, Killer 7 which I grabbed used for about $8, Yoshi's Island DS ($30) and, Super Princess Peach ($35). The closest I came to spending $60 on a new game recently was the $55 Kingdom Hearts 3DS collector's box I grabbed: completely worth it.

NinjaSniperAssassin

Sep 19, 2012
Maybe 5%. The only game I've spent $60 on this year is Borderlands 2. The last one before that was Bioshock 2, and that game was such a disappointment that I haven't preordered or bought anything, other than Borderlands, at launch since.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
I can think of only 5 games I've bought for full price in the past 5 years (Mario Galaxy 2, Final Fantasy XIII, New Vegas, Skyrim, Borderlands 2), and most of those were heavily subsidized with some sort of store credit. Buying used or waiting a couple years before buying a new console ends up being way cheaper

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Your Poll options suck because your question asks for a percentage but none of your poll options offer a percentage. 50/50 is the closest you come. I don't buy many $60 games, the last one was Skyrim and I hated it. So if I were to guess, out of the last 100 games I bought, only 1 of them was $60, that's 1%.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Considering I don't have a console and my laptop isn't anything approaching top-of-the-range, I'm actually about ten years behind most people in terms of games. I'm working my way through PSX games as we speak, but most modern indie games are kind to my processor so I do tend to buy those new - just, usually cheaply from the Humble Bundle.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
yay i do the same thing as the majority!

but yeah, i don't buy new games period. Don't see why anyone would when the price USUALLY drops very quickly. about half price in 6~12 months. except for the few games with super high reviews (skyrim, wouldn't buy that shit if it were $5 anyway)

purplecactus

Jun 25, 2012
Heh, next to none of my games were bought as new. I can't afford it, and it'd be a waste of time given that I barely have the time to sit down in front of the computer for a good few hours (and not do uni work...). I kinda wish I had the time and money every now and then, but ultimately I'm happy with the arrangement I have now.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
Its either steam sales or incredibly anticipated titles for me.

I mean, I trekked all the way into town when WAR was released and bought it day one. Same with most of the WoW expansions (Till I quit a year ago). I did the same for Napoleon Total War, I even bought the collectors edition, and for Civ 5.

But other then those games I have never bought a game on day of release, nor bought a game that had not been significantly reduced in price. Actually, I tell a lie, I pre-ordered Torchlight 2 (WHICH IS FUCKING AWESOME BTW), but that was because the game was stupidly cheap and came with Torchlight 1. Its all steam sales and indie bundles for me.

All the xbox games I own are pre-owned. Partially because I do not even own an xbox (Lived with my sister for a year and her bloke owns one) but mainly because I have never been that excited about a console game.

I might pick up Company of Heroes 2 on release, probably not though cause it is looking like it might go the way of COH 1 and be pay to win.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
I'd say about 25%. I'm still catching up on games from several years ago, and they're usually easier to get pre-owned. I bought a bunch of games new in 2011 (best year for new releases in a while).

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
I don't buy anything new unless it's a triple-AAA title from a developer I trust (the odd CoD, Skyrim). I wait for everything else to hit the bargain bins.

I also tend to skew towards games made in the late 90's/early 00's.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
About 20% are new games. Though that percentage is decreasing as the time between every new game purchase increases. I mostly buy older and secondhand games.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Rarely. I mostly buy cheaper indie titles, older games that have dropped in price (used if I can't find a new copy), and games that are on sale.
I recently bought Kirby's Dream Collection new, but being a Wii game, it was $50, not $60.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I think the last game I bought on release was Skyrim, and that was because I happened to be in town at 9:00am on the morning of release. I don't really buy games on release anymore, mostly because I forget. I was going to buy Guild Wars 2 on release, but only picked it up a few weeks ago.

The excpetion to this is Borderlands 2. I know its out, and I want it, but Im not buying it until I manage to finish the first one (Good game, bad PC Port, second one fixes that stuff.

cnaltman62 said:
Rarely. I mostly buy cheaper indie titles, older games that have dropped in price (used if I can't find a new copy), and games that are on sale.
I recently bought Kirby's Dream Collection new, but being a Wii game, it was $50, not $60.
Oh yeah, that thing, I need to get that too.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009

Yeah, pretty close to 0, huzzah for steam sales (and gamersgate), also the occasional indie bundle and a new game at a low price, like real low. $60 for one game just doesn't seem worth it, and my wallet couldn't take it regularly anyway.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Pretty much all the games I buy are new and 60 dollars as I buy most day of. There are a couple that I wait to buy and buy new and some I buy used. But that is about 10% at most.