Poll: What region would you like to see in next Elder Scrolls Game?

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Hammerfell, since it would be by far the single most logical area to set the sequel because of the political climate: Hammerfell seceded from the Empire after the White-Gold Concordat and they also repelled the Aldmeri invasion afterwards. This means that they are a small, independent power at the time with no small amount of antagonism towards both power blocks of Tamriel. This could be used to set up a number of different plot-lines. Defending the borders from both sides? Rooting out a conspiracy to return Hammerfell to the Empire? Another conspiracy to let in the Dominion?

It is also notable that Hammerfell was one of the core Dwemer territories alongside the mostly destroyed Morrowind, so if Bethesda ever decides to finally pick up the strands of the long-speculated "Return of the Dwemer" plot, Hammerfell would be a great place for it to happen, thus providing the "world-changing crisis" for the title.

Finally, Hammerfell has a very different culture, with different gods and values system. Because of it bordering a number of other provinces you would probably also find the population much more varied than in Skyrim, at least around the borders; Orcs and Bretons in the north, Bosmer and Khajiit in the south, Altmer on the south-west, Nords and Imperials in the east. The only ones being shafted would be the Dunmer because of the distance (though some of them could settle on the east from Skyrim) and the Argonians because of the climate.

The only problem I can see with the province would be the abundance of black people, some of whom would be obviously bandits ready for the slaughter, which would probably tickle of a lot of the "-isms" activists the wrong way...

Alternatively, Black Marsh, mostly because it is another contested territory (it became completely isolated from the empire after the Oblivion Crisis, and taken the current political climate one would think they'd want to integrate them back into the empire to bolster their numbers for the inevitable second Great War with the Aldmeri). It would be also high-time we had a TES game where playing one of the beast races was intuitive.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
sgy0003 said:
So far we had Morrowind, Cyrodill, and Skyrim.
You know, I can appreciate that many younger gamers haven't played the earlier games, but the fact that it's titled "The Elder Scrolls III" really should indicate that there were two earlier games. And there were. Does it not occur to anyone to look up where they took place? We've seen High Rock, and we've seen some of Hammerfell, back in Daggerfall. Some of us were killing dragons in the Al'kir desert before you were born. Even earlier, Arena gave us the whole of Tamriel to play around in. If you want to know what the rest of the continent looks like, Bethesda's put both games for free on their web site.

That said, if any area should be revisited next, my vote goes to High Rock. Daggerfall didn't quite deliver on the "region of petty kingdoms rife with intrigue" that it promised, and I'd like to see an Elder Scrolls game be about something more than witnessing idiotic conversations about mudcrabs. One made in this century, I mean.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Elfgore said:
No mention of Akavir? *tsk* That's where I truly want the next game to be.
One problem, which has been explained to me by hardcore fans familiar with the Elder Scrolls ludicrously complicated cosmology is that Akavir may actually be something more akin to Aman in Middle Earth, in that it's kind of both a physical place and a whole different plane of existence.

I've always felt that an elder scrolls game set on an undiscovered continent would be a really good idea though. I mean, the core enjoyable mechanic of Elder Scrolls is exploration, it's what holds everything else together. Having the player exploring a completely unfamiliar world would be an interesting take on that.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
sgy0003 said:

Where would you like to explore next?
You forgot Daggerfall.

I would like to see High Rock or Black Marsh, but I would love the makers to go back in time quite a ways to when the Dwarves were around and play through their story, I would be cool with most of the game being underground. Like a journey to the center of the earth kind of thing.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
evilthecat said:
Elfgore said:
No mention of Akavir? *tsk* That's where I truly want the next game to be.
One problem, which has been explained to me by hardcore fans familiar with the Elder Scrolls ludicrously complicated cosmology is that Akavir may actually be something more akin to Aman in Middle Earth, in that it's kind of both a physical place and a whole different plane of existence.
Yet, Imperial forces and Akavir forces have invaded each other's land. Telling me there is someway to get there. Hell, it's believed Nerevarine[footnote]Morrowinds Protgonist[/footnote] sailed there. So I'm having a tough time figuring out why it's a problem.

Note: I've been awake like ten minutes so the point of your post could have just cone right over my head. No sarcasm/anger/etc. is meant to be in my post either.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Elfgore said:
Yet, Imperial forces and Akavir forces have invaded each other's land. Telling me there is someway to get there. Hell, it's believed Nerevarine[footnote]Morrowinds Protgonist[/footnote] sailed there. So I'm having a tough time figuring out why it's a problem.
Yeah, and Frodo and Bilbo sailed to Atman with the elves.

Sure, Akavir is almost certainly a physical place (although compared to most places in Nirn we know almost nothing about its geography) but it's not necessarily a given that the "rules" of Tamriel apply there, even just in basic terms of how magic works, how time works, how death works. Stuff like that.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
I'd prefer Black Marsh or Elseweyr just so we could see the beast races as a majority. Summerset Isles seems like the most likely assuming they run with Skyrim's idea of a further war with the Aldmeri Dominion.

I'm still hoping we get to explore Akavir at some point though.

Arctic Werewolf

Oct 16, 2014
Black Marsh would be my pick. I want to see how the slave trade and foreign wars of occupation have shaped Black Marsh. What problems and opportunities have arisen at home, and for whom? I want to see a dark society with different values and social structures. What does an Argonian fortress look like? How do they make war? What does their political infighting look like? What tensions exist within Argonian societies and how are they changing? I know Bethesda has said that not every Elder Scrolls game is going to be like Morrowind. But we've just had Cyrodiil followed by Skyrim. Come on. Time to get weird with it.

If they bring back the funny legs, that's just gravy.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Elsweyr.

I love the Khajiit, and I wanna see the deserts and jungles of their home, along with the weird enemies that'll bring.

Most likely is Summerset Isles or Valenwood, though, with the Aldmeri Dominion stuff going on.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Alinor, or as the lesser races call it - Summerset Isles. I want to see High-Elven craftsmanship and how things are in the Thalmor homeland.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Silentpony said:
Space. It should be in space.
I do hope you have the space core mod installed in your Skyrim...

"Wanna go to space, wanna go to space, wanna go to space... are there dragons in space?"

Ravenier

Dec 16, 2014
I think Elseweyr with its jungles and deserts could make for an interesting area, but I doubt Bethesda would do that. In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if the next TES game would be labelled "Skyrim 2".

I also always wanted to explore Argonia, but given that the entire area is effectively a death trap for non-Argonians, this strongly limits the amount of player and NPC races for the setting - unless Bethesda hires that one guy from TES Online to do the lore.
Which I do not bloody hope.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
Probably a controversial opinion, but I sometimes find the Khajiit accents to be a bit annoying. I mean, bumping into one every once in a while in Skyrim is okay. But an entire game where they're the dominant race? Torture.

Other than that, I don't really care, I'm sure most of the regions would be interesting.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Looks like the furries are winning.

Just kidding. Actually I'm just a little sad High Rock is in last at the moment. As much as I'm afraid of how small they will have to make the city (as opposed to how massive it was in Daggerfall) I would love to see it again, this time in decent detail. What I would like to see is a game nearly limited to just the city and surrounding area, but make Daggerfall itself about the size of Skyrim's map. With different city districts and such.

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
ANYWHERE BUT AKAVIR

I don't think Bethesda could pull off Akavir, the lore behind that place is so extensive and interesting that I want it to be this neat little gem hidden in the lore. Bethesda couldn't even do Cyrodiil right and Cyrodiil was basically just a Jungle with Romans in it.

Hell, I don't even want them to do Hammerfell. In lore the culture of Redguards is so varied, you've got some aspects of African tribalism, Arabic styled art and craftsmanship with Jamaican style spiritualism. I doubt all of this stuff would translate from the lore of The Elder Scrolls to a game set in Hammerfell.

They couldn't even put the proper pantheon in Skyrim. They just copied the Cyrod pantheon and sprinkled in some references to the Nordic pantheon.

Plus, I doubt the Nords would ever stop venerating Shor, the god of mankind. Unarguably the most important god in their culture apart from Alduin. Couldn't even find a shrine to him!

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
High rock. I think the orcs are pretty good candidates for stirring up the next type of trouble. Malacath could rally his people to reclaim the glory of Orsinium... which would almost certainly mean marauding around for plunder.

I don't have any other reason for having it there though.

Seems everyone wants to just go where their favorite race is from. I don't think these people are actually thinking when they say they want the game to be set in a marsh or a desert.

Itsuki93

Mar 16, 2015
Recusant said:
sgy0003 said:
You know, I can appreciate that many younger gamers haven't played the earlier games, but the fact that it's titled "The Elder Scrolls III" really should indicate that there were two earlier games. And there were. Does it not occur to anyone to look up where they took place? We've seen High Rock, and we've seen some of Hammerfell, back in Daggerfall. Some of us were killing dragons in the Al'kir desert before you were born. Even earlier, Arena gave us the whole of Tamriel to play around in. If you want to know what the rest of the continent looks like, Bethesda's put both games for free on their web site.
I'm glad someone else said this before me, my vote goes to Shivering Isles. I'd like to see it explored in a full game rather than DLC.