Poll: What type of animation do you prefer?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
It has to be CGI for me. A given when I have invested six years of my life into it.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I'm a rotoscope man myself...<.<

Everything just moves so smooth and naturally... and besides that it always has such a unique look...

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Hand-drawn, all the way.
Why?
Because Cowboy Bebop, that's why.
I still posit that Cowboy Bebop is infinitely better than most modern animation, anime or otherwise, and that is due in part to the fact that it was completely hand drawn.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
lunavixen said:
You don't have an "all of the above" option, i'm actually not that fussy as to how the animations are done, although I am a bit hesitant about Flash, unless it has been done well. I like Live Action too
Yeah, sorry about that. I didn't think of that until after the OP and I don't know how, or if it's even possible, to edit the poll to allow another option.

I also completely understand your feelings about Flash. Out of all the animation styles, Flash probably has the most extremes when it comes to terrible vs. great content.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
As long as it looks good and whatever they're trying to convey is entertaining, I don't care how it's animated.

mronoc

Nov 12, 2008
I'm not super picky about the medium, as long as they know how to use their tools to express their ideas coherently. Honestly, though, I don't think you can beat hand drawn animation, just for the fact that the animator is starting with a blank page on every frame means they're free to take it in any direction they want. They can use any graphic style that they feel is appropriate to convey an idea. Gainax in particular are great at this, switching between a wide variety of drawing styles to convey different tones, especially with FlCl and "Panty and Stocking"

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
It would be better to ilustrate the history of Hand Drawn Animation up until CGI took over and made it more easy. A PROS and CONS of each one would be nice to see too.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
King of Asgaard said:
Hand-drawn, all the way.
Why?
Because Cowboy Bebop, that's why.
I still posit that Cowboy Bebop is infinitely better than most modern animation, anime or otherwise, and that is due in part to the fact that it was completely hand drawn.
Mnn... you have the Kain's Empire flag, i wonder if.....

What would happen if the game, instead of being in 3D it received a sequel made on 2D 16-bit? The in-game-engine cutscenes and the unique expressions in each still stays, it is just that is in a NON 3D representation now

Rainbowloid

Jan 12, 2010
Stop-motion is my favorite by far. I'm not too picky about animation, though. However, I do have one problem with CGI, and that is that it doesn't age very gracefully, but other than that I like it just fine.

Verzin

Jan 23, 2012
For me....I'm particularly fond of flash because of a few amazing videos I've seen that couldn't have been done by a single person without it.

but I think that Hand Drawn has more potential.

Clinky

Jan 5, 2012
(What no love for claymation?)

Honestly I love all of them because how well/poorly they are implemented comes down to the one using them. There are bad and good examples of all of them throughout the history of animation. Personally I find the best to be ones where they work together and are used seamlessly. Those usually turn out some of the best visually.

Of course... When done poorly it can be pretty bad. For example I used to watch a show when I was younger called 'Cyberchase' an educational show about math and science. It changed from traditional to flash and well... Lets just say the change was VERY obvious.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Gearabelle said:
(What no love for claymation?)

Honestly I love all of them because how well/poorly they are implemented comes down to the one using them. There are bad and good examples of all of them throughout the history of animation. Personally I find the best to be ones where they work together and are used seamlessly. Those usually turn out some of the best visually.

Of course... When done poorly it can be pretty bad. For example I used to watch a show when I was younger called 'Cyberchase' an educational show about math and science. It changed from traditional to flash and well... Lets just say the change was VERY obvious.
Hey! I put in an 'other' category at least. :p

But you do have a valid point, hell one of my all time favorite movies is Tim Burton's: A Nightmare Before Christmas.

But as good as stop-motion can be, it isn't really a very common animation style. Tim Burton does great work with it but, really the only other examples of stop-motion I actually know of are Robot Chicken (Hilarious!), and Morel Orel (Hit and Miss).

I actually can't believe I forgot about stop-motion, and how good it can be. Thanks for reminding me!