Poll: What type of learner are you?

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I was just thinking about a conversation I had with my sister about her children's school, and how they seem to be focusing more and more on lectures and reading and less on practical experience.

When I was at school I struggled horribly with understanding most of my subjects until I actually did something with what I was learning, I'm a tactile learner, I learn by doing, and for the best results it needs to be something with a practical outcome. I learned maths not by reading books and mucking around with sums, that drove me to distraction, what really got my maths to improve was writing computer programs, I could see a purpose for it, and by actually using the skill I could learn it.

What about the rest of you? What type of learner are you?

Bamba

Feb 12, 2013
Balanced, because all of these ways you mentioned are good ways to learn things. However, I guess it depends on what I want to learn about in particular. If I wanted to learn about an individual, thenprobably Visual(reading) would be the easiest way for me.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Bamba said:
Balanced, because all of these ways you mentioned are good ways to learn things. However, I guess it depends on what I want to learn about in particular. If I wanted to learn about an individual, thenprobably Visual(reading) would be the easiest way for me.
I'm not really saying any way is better then the others, simply that some people naturally lean towards one system over the others, I know I do, I'm terrible at learning things via lecture, I simply can't follow it, but I'm decent with visuals, and much better with learning via doing.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I consider myself really awful at learning new things (I have a terrible memory, so understanding things is no guarantee of them sticking in my mind), so I use whatever is available to make something stick. Sometimes I remember things because I've taken a mental picture of the pages where it was written, sometimes I remember people saying those things to me, and sometimes I keep short "mental movies" of myself doing things, so I remember what to do because I can replay myself doing them. And sometimes I just trust my muscle memory and hope for the best.

So I picked Balanced.

Bamba

Feb 12, 2013
tkioz said:
Bamba said:
I'm not really saying any way is better then the others, simply that some people naturally lean towards one system over the others, I know I do, I'm terrible at learning things via lecture, I simply can't follow it, but I'm decent with visuals, and much better with learning via doing.
Its just a personal preference, not a leaning towards a system. Personally I find all ways ideal for learning about nearly anything, therefore I have no specific way to learn things in particular.

Jux

Hmm
Sep 2, 2012
I chose balanced, but it really depends on what it is I'm trying to learn. I mean, picking up an instrument and learning to play is going to be kinesthetic for the most part, maybe with auditory components as well.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Depends. For regular education I more of an visual leaner but when it come to exams I shift toward Kinesthetic since I am rewriting my notes and finding ways to memorising my notes via phrases or a jingle (experimenting).

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
I definitely learn through hearing, which is why i attend every lecture in university. If I make it to every lecture, and pay attention whilst there, it cuts down on my study time quite considerably...

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'm horrible at booklearning. But I have a pretty good memory for experiences. I generally can recall most things I do/did in class, or what the teacher said/says.

I'm not sure where I'd put myself in those options. I learn from experience, but being at a lecture is the experience, not the application of the subject matter. Am I making sense?

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Mix of visual and kinesthetic I'd say, I like to see what I am supposed to learn and then try it out. Ofc, this gets a bit different if it's a theoretical subject, like, math or history, those I need to read to understand...ofc, I never understood math...

kyuzo3567

Jan 31, 2011
Well according to all those tests the schools have, I'm balanced with a slight deficiency on Kinesthetic learning. The tests the gave in High School rated me with Auditory:7, Visual:7, and Kinesthetic: 6... anyone else remember those tests?

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
Academically I'm a kinesthetic learner, get me some worksheets or past exam papers and I'm good to go. I had no idea what was going on in General Relativity until I started actually doing calculations, suddenly I was all up in that shit.

The curious thing is how I learn new tunes when I'm playing music. If I'm listening to it I will stand there looking confused, but I can pick it up fairly easily if I can see the music, or even just see someone else playing it.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Mostly Kinaesthetic, I guess. I have a remembering stuff just by listening, doing really helps reinforce whatever it is for me.

That said, I have a tendency to verbalise things as I do them, to help recall too. So maybe balanced?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
I learn a lot of things by doing them until I get them. Seeing it done helps a little, but overall it's by working through things.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I'm both a visual and a kinesthetic learner. I can retain a large amount of knowledge by simply remembering certain things that I've seen (formulas, passages, drawings/sketches, etc.). However, I tend to learn things more easily if I can actually work them out or do them in a controlled setting.

Sep 14, 2009
mostly visual and kinesthetic, but fucking auditory is horrible, lectures absolutely get me nowhere and i hate that teachers depend so much on them, it does little to nothing for me, yet i'll go home and get 95%'s on all the homeworks and i'm generally the best student in all the labs i'm in.

unfortunately, this is why all my Lab grades are A's and a good chunk of all the pure lecture + test grades i have are C's, damn professors just lecture up there like a broken record player.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I learn extremely fast if I get my hands on it, and get to build something for example. Doesn't go hand-in-hand with my reading-heavy studies!

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I seem to be a blend of hands-on and visual. Auditory is by far my worst method, which sucks as that is the most common one. I used to say "if you see something done enough times, even a monkey can do it".