Poll: What was the first Final Fantasy game you played, and do you still play games from that series?

Smeatza

Dec 12, 2011
Started at VII, loved VIII, IX ,X and then IV on DS. Hated X2 and XII.
Have given up on the series.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
For me the first game that I've played was VII. Great game in my opinion. Although my favorite would probably have to be IX, as you can probably tell by my avatar. That game was fucking amazing.

Normally I would say that I've never played VIII, but I've recently remembered that I played the demo when I was a lad. So that game is technically my first Final Fantasy I've played. But not the first I've beaten.

The only other games I've played are X, IV for the DS, and XIII. While those were all good games in my opinion, they don't really give me the same feeling I get from playing VII and IX.

Shuguard

Apr 19, 2012
i started with VIII, then X, VII, X-2, and then XIII. I'm completely done since they have too much of the annoying "family theme" they keep on pushing with every new release makes me nauseous.

gyroc1

Nov 26, 2011
I played FF: I and II: Dawn of Souls for GBA. The updated graphics and music gave it a timeless quality. I don't know if the first version of 1 felt timeless because I never played it, and probably won't.

In all, I've played I and II, III (DS), IV (GBA), V (GBA), VI (GBA, favorite), X, and XII

I think that Final Fantasy is dead to me, I won't be playing the newer ones until reviews say otherwise, but I'll play some of the older ones like an favorite book... I should probably play 7 at some point though.

A_Play_On_Words

Feb 8, 2012
gyroc1 said:
I played FF: I and II: Dawn of Souls for GBA. The updated graphics and music gave it a timeless quality. I don't know if the first version of 1 felt timeless because I never played it, and probably won't.

In all, I've played I and II, III (DS), IV (GBA), V (GBA), VI (GBA, favorite), X, and XII

I think that Final Fantasy is dead to me, I won't be playing the newer ones until reviews say otherwise, but I'll play some of the older ones like an favorite book... I should probably play 7 at some point though.
Play VII for completeness' sake, but know that it isn't half the game that your favorite (and mine) is.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
First one I "played" was Final Fantasy on NES. And by "played" I mean I walked around a bit before my brother got mad at me for deleting the only save file.

First one I played properly was Final Fantasy IV Mystic Quest actually, now that I think about it.

Yes I still play them from time to time. Most recently I replayed V on PSN.

Ursus Buckler

Apr 15, 2011
It was FFX, loved it, even the Blitzball minigame. Then I saw FFXIII and decided I didn't like Final Fantasy anymore.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
VIII always seemed like the best to me even though I played it after VII, bloody amazing music, bosses, summons, characters and slightly less ridiculous then VII (although the plot was still very silly).

I lost interest in Final Fantasy as soon as characters could speak, took away part of the charm in my eyes, also nothing could compete with 'maybe I'm a lion' and 'liberi fatali'.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
FFVI.

I didn't like it. At all. Even playing it today I don't like it.

I don't play Final Fantasy games anymore.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Final Fantasy on the NES was my first one and no I do not play games in that series anymore. FFX was the last real one in the series I played. Since then, they've been garbage.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fluoxetine said:
Started at 1 when it first came out in the States.

You are all so very, very young.
We are.

A remake of 1 for the PSP.

I'm in the mood for that now, so I guess I'll go dig out my PSP...

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
Final Fantasy on the NES was my first one and no I do not play games in that series anymore. FFX was the last real one in the series I played. Since then, they've been garbage.
Even as a fan of X, even I have to cringe at this:

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
TheLizardKing said:
The first final fantasy i played was 6 remake on GBA. I loved it. I've played all of the final fantasy's, but they have gotten really shitty lately.
Exactly mine case.
Started with the first one, but only played those remakes, nothing from the newer ones.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
I've played all the non-mmo final fantasies since X, including the final fantasy advanced games, and I can say that final fantasy XII was my least enjoyable experience. I didn't like any of the characters, the combat system and character progression weren't fun, and I honestly stopped caring about the story when I stopped caring about the characters. I enjoyed the turn-based style of X. I liked Lightning and the story of final fantasy XIII. I loved everything about Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced and Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced 2 and wish they would make a 3rd one for the 3DS (which I would buy a 3DS for). The only final fantasy game that I have played and legitimately hated is XII

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I started out with IV, V and VI on a SNES emulator when I was very small, but FFIX was the first game I completed.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Started with 1 on the NES, played 10 on PS2 and it won Game of the Gen for me. X-2 and 12 were garbage I never finished. Playing 13 now. So far so good. Gets a thumbs up on the first 6 hours.

JSDodd

Jul 29, 2010
VII was the first i played. VIII was the first i owned. Have since completed I and VI-XIII-2. Still love the series and still rush out to buy the newest "main" game in the series :)

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Honestly I don't remember. If I had to guess I would say it was probably either FF VII or FF Tactics.

FF Tactics remains one of my favorite games of all time and definitely my favorite game with "Final Fantasy" in the title. I haven't played a Final Fantasy game is FF X due to no longer owning consoles.