Poll: What weapons will you use in a zombie apocalypse?

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
exessmirror said:
Living_Brain said:
What do you suppose is the best melee weapon?
a sharp machete period. they can chop of a limp and do not tend to get stuck. whole wars where fought out with rusty machetes.
Look the thing about sharp weapons is zombie blood. It's probably toxic and your skin absorbs liquids easily. If you're not careful the blood splatter could end up infecting you.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
henritje said:
crowbar

according to Max Brooks zombie survival guide it,s the most multifunctional weapon.
See all that blood splatter? That's toxic blood going into your body and infecting you. A crowbar is a very useful tool, but not a weapon. In HL2 the zombies weren't infected by a contagious virus. The parasite (headcrab) had to physically take control, it couldn't infect with a virus.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Living_Brain said:
henritje said:
crowbar

according to Max Brooks zombie survival guide it,s the most multifunctional weapon.
See all that blood splatter? That's toxic blood going into your body and infecting you. A crowbar is a very useful tool, but not a weapon. In HL2 the zombies weren't infected by a contagious virus. The parasite (headcrab) had to physically take control, it couldn't infect with a virus.
I think I,ll be fine as long as nothing enters my mouth

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
henritje said:
Living_Brain said:
henritje said:
crowbar

Your skin is very absorptive. If it goes on your skin, it goes into your bloodstream, eventually.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Living_Brain said:
henritje said:
Living_Brain said:
henritje said:
crowbar

Your skin is very absorptive. If it goes on your skin, it goes into your bloodstream, eventually.
Besides, eyes, nose, ears are all openings. Why wouldn't it go through them?

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
The Heik said:
It's ultimately not a matter of how easy, it's about the limit in materials. Sure, you can find stuff in a city but there with likely be thousands of others searching for the exact same stuff, and as previously mentioned those supplies and raw materials will not be replenished due to likely economic collapse. It WILL run out, and I doubt your group will have the mining tools need to get more from a mine (as that will be the only reliable source of it

As for why to avoid cities, it's due to the principle of "the best way to survive a fight is to avoid one". Cities are likely to have the largest concentrations of the undead, so every time you walk out the door of where ever your safehouse is, you're taking a massive risk of dying whilst out, or even drawing the undead to your safehouse. That's the second major problem: Entrapment. You could run into the situation where the hordes have found out your location and trapped you inside, and unless your group already has a weapons stockpile capable of starting a decent sized ground war, you are going to starve and die. By being out of the city, you reduce the chances of running into zombies, as well as the odds being the groups are smaller so you can deal with them piece meal as well as give yourself more room to maneuver (or escape).

Also you need to take into account morale, as that's the real killer here. For every person you lose (and with taking that many risks inside a city, you will lose people) the morale of the group will drop like a stone, decreasing their combat effectiveness and making it more likely that you will lose more. It's a vicious cycle, and one that no group can escape when they are in the Apocalypse.

I'm just going to make a bit of an assumption here from what I've read of yours and ElPatron's posts. From what I've gathered from our posts, you guys seem to think that most of what you try is going to succeed, and that's a fatal mistake. Any military individual will tell you that no plan survives contact with the enemy, and in a situation where there are so many unknowable factors (such as the zombie apocalypse), you'll be lucky if half of what you plan goes right, and that's an inexcusable percentage when you have so little resources and manpower to begin with. For example, what if your gunsmith friend dies in the initial infection? Suddenly your entire plan of maintaining a weapons stockpile crashes around your ears, and I doubt that your ideal group knows off-hand (that is without checking youtube or any other resource for information, as those will swiftly become inpoerative) how to make and maintain guns and their ammo.

I however assume that things will go wrong at the worst possible moments, so I cover for that by trying to avoid as many confrontations with the undead as possible. That's why I endorse moving out of the city, that is why I endorse trying to use materials from renewable sources for weapons and traps that are so easy to make a child out unaided could construct them. I'm trying to cut down my odds of fighting and resulting failure every chance I get, which raises my odds of survival, even if only by a minor margin. And it is those minor margins that can mean the difference between life and death and undeath.

Oh and I'm going to leave you with a question: If headshots are so easy, why is it that in most combat situations they are so rare? Food for thought....
resources are no problem like i said bullets could be made from most metals. me and my friends already have access to a small weapon stockpile. and have the proper knowledge and training to maintain firearms. also i live 3 km from a marine base. supplies wont be a problem.
also where did i say we had a plan. like you said no plan survives first contact. the only plan there would be is get together. which is possible till a certain extend because both cellphone and internet wont be disconnected immediately after SHTF. also you said thousands will try. i dont think so like you said most ppl will be trying to hightail it out the city.
zombies also will try to follow the food which means those who hightail it out mostly because those left in the city wont be as large as those in the countryside. so they will be following you
Living_Brain said:
exessmirror said:
Living_Brain said:
What do you suppose is the best melee weapon?
a sharp machete period. they can chop of a limp and do not tend to get stuck. whole wars where fought out with rusty machetes.
Look the thing about sharp weapons is zombie blood. It's probably toxic and your skin absorbs liquids easily. If you're not careful the blood splatter could end up infecting you.
ill just wear long clothes and a gasmask with gloves