Poll: What weapons will you use in a zombie apocalypse?

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Pistol tucked into my trousers along with a small hammer, a bow slung around my torso, knife in my sock, machete dangling from a piece of rope tied to a belt loop on my trousers, shotgun and baseball bat stuffed into a backpack, knuckle dusters (or possibly a chain of some sort) in a large pocket, a small weapon taped to an area near my left shoulder for quick use and a large(ish) piece of wood/metal masking taped to the backpack.

If I could find a handbag/small satchel I would store surplus ammunition and possibly a second small handgun and I would also keep enough rope/string/thread to hand other things from different belt loops such as diving knives/grenades/syringes.

On top of all this I would tear and sow back together the straps of the backpack so much that it sits comfortably on my shoulders but I could break out of it with minimal effort if it was grabbed by a walker.

And finally, as the icing on the cake, I would try and get steel toe cap boots and bond some metal studs/scrap metal/knife to the end.

Am I putting to much thought into this?

Attercap

Irascible Webmaster
Jun 22, 2012
Surviving a zombie apocalypse seems like a zero-sum game, so I'd choose a gun. I'd only need one bullet, too!

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
4 foot katana for up close, handgun, shogun would be my load outs of choice, handgun and shotgun ammo should be pretty plentiful. katana i just need some oil and a cloth, and we know from dead island that there is nothing quite so satisfying as taking the head clean off a zombie while it charges you, and then you got legs and arms that are nice targets also.

bow and arrows are nice and all that, but the amount of skill it takes to use a bow and arrow, is a pretty large hurtle for most people and depending on if we got the classic zombies or the 28 days later zombies hitting a fast moving target with a bow and arrow is a rather larger degree of difficulty. fatigue is also a concern when firing heavy bows or lots of arrows.

all the reasons why we left bows for guns a few hundred years back. any idiot can fire a gun, but a bow users takes training.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Any melee weapons will do for me (hammer, sword or even an shield) considering the fact I never used a gun before and throwing me into the deep well feeding frenzy size will NOT make me a quick learner. Beside a gun is only good if there are ammunition around. Even then if the zombies are attracted to sounds then the gun is only a double edged weapon. Yes I know both weapons need some time to reload/ wipe the blood off so it's no longer blunt.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I have all of the above within arm's reach. So... all [http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/loc978/Photos/DSC02954.jpg] of [http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/loc978/Photos/DSC01162.jpg] the [http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/loc978/Photos/0603081544.jpg] above [http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/loc978/Photos/DSC01160.jpg].

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Guns. I have plenty of 'em(10) and around over a 1000 assorted rounds for them.

A .22 isn't too loud and still can penetrate the skull of a shuffler and is very easy to find.

Of course I'd keep some sort of melee weapon as a back up.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
erttheking said:
- Much longer range Duh.
- A single heatshot is fatalThere are a lot of places in the brain that are not required for immediate survival - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
- larger guns can be used as makeshift clubs sure, if you want to get them dirty and obstructed

Cons
- It is easy to miss without training or when you panic If you're not trained you shouldn't be holding a gun anyway
- Ammunition will most likely be limited that's why you stockpile it beforehand
- A gun can jam at a crucial moment AHAHAHAHAHAH OH WOW. So can any mechanical component, the difference is that if you maintain your weapon (much easier than say, a car) it won't malfunction
- Zombies feel no pain, so a shot to anywhere but the head will be a waste of ammoBull. Any shot can destroy muscle and tendons, which will hinder the movement and attacking abilities of any zombie

Melee weapons

Pros
- Can be used more often will also get you severely tired
- The blunt force is usually strong enough to break limbs, which can hamper a zombie's effectiveness and a single swing to the neck will most likely be fatalSo a gunshot can't cause that kind of damage?
- Are fairly easy to findSpeak for yourself. I can think of two places near me to break in if I want a gun. Can't think of any that sells anything beyond chainsaws and bats

Cons
-Require you to be close to the zombie to use
- Bladed weapons (such as an axe) can get stuck
- It is possible to break them

So, what will you do in the zombie apocalypse? Melee weapon or gun? Or do you have another plan that doesn't involve either? Personally I'd rather carry around a sledge hammer. I've never used a gun before in my life and I'd probably use half a clip IT'S CALLED MAGAZINE just to take down one zombie.
Thanks for your try but please try to inform you about what the hell you are talking about.

5.56x45 is small but deadly. Heck, I would post actual pictures of what happens when you get shot, but they are quite graphic.

This little guy is almost capable of ripping a whole leg off, and breaking bones without even touching them - trough the means of hydrostatic shock.

This thing is plentiful for "zombies". And the most common hunting calibers are a lot more powerful than 5.56.

Heck, get a shotgun and buckshot. If you have enough standoff a single shell will cover a whole human torso.

Asus Quickclaw

Dec 12, 2011
since i'm to much of a wuss to go up close, and a terrible shot, i would just throw random stuff like rocks. and then crap my pants. and then throw my pants, maybe.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I have my sports bow, my golf clubs and my survival plan :D

In an actual situation I would last like 2 months max?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
cerebus23 said:
4 foot katana
Katanas were cheap swords for low ranked soldiers. Not only that, but today it's hard to find a decent katana.

Most likely you will have trouble with blades, steel quality or even the finish.

Even if you actually got your hands in a true katana, you'd have to worry about blade straightness, sharpness and always worrying about the blade coming off the handle. Which is not a good thing to worry about during a apocalypse.

It has no use as a tool. Practically no tree-cutting or brush clearing abilities and won't pry crates open.

Besides, it only has one cutting edge and it was designed for slashing (= blood loss) and not stabbing or actual good ol' bone breaker and limb chopper. Blood loss won't incapacitate a zombie until he is drained, but a weapon capable of reliably cutting limbs, breaking bones and penetrating skulls would be much better.

The Heik said:
Why do people always default to guns when it comes to ranged weaponry? I'd take a composite recurve bow over a gun any day. Need to take out a zombie silently?
If you're able to do that, you're also able to do whatever you have to do without killing him. Besides, we don't know if zombies retain their hearing, or even if they can identify gunshots/direction from where the sound comes from.

How fast can you shoot arrows accurately? Guns are obviously what people will resort to.

Patrick Buck said:
I live in Britain, so getting a firearm would be difficult enough, so melee for me.
It's a zombie apocalypse. Nobody will give a damn about the law unless you're stealing from people.

Just find a gun store or a club. If the gun club is empty you can raid it, in a gun store I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind giving you one.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
My first line of defense would be one of those sets of Kevlar reinforced overalls. Like the ones police wear in raids so they don't risk getting spiked by broken glass or bitten by dogs and things. They are not armour so they wont stop a knife or a gunshot but they should keep zombie teeth out.

After that a sledgehammer will do nicely.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
My weapons of choice? Maggots and decomposition. I know it's a smart-arse answer, but c'mon! You see a zombie coming for you, you throw some maggots in it's face. And, y'know, then get a solid door between me and the zombie...

I just need to find a place that sells fishing lures and I'm all set for the apocalypse.

ElPatron said:
Patrick Buck said:
I live in Britain, so getting a firearm would be difficult enough, so melee for me.
It's a zombie apocalypse. Nobody will give a damn about the law unless you're stealing from people.

Just find a gun store or a club. If the gun club is empty you can raid it, in a gun store I'm sure the owners wouldn't mind giving you one.
Funny thing is it's kinda hard for a gun store to make a profit in a country where the minority of people are allowed to have any kind of gun, so we don't have many gun clubs or gun stores either. Unless you're living in the countryside, in which case everyone and their mums is packing heat.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
ElPatron said:
Patrick Buck said:

Funny thing is it's kinda hard for a gun store to make a profit in a country where the minority of people are allowed to have any kind of gun, so we don't have many gun clubs or gun stores either. Unless you're living in the countryside, in which case everyone and their mums is packing heat.
Nice, Hot Fuzz.

The police needs a reason to deny you the right for a shotgun certificate, though. Does "lives in a city" count? They have passed certificates to 11 year olds before.

Anyway, maybe I was confusing the UK with another country, but I thought you people needed gun clubs so that you could prove you can own anything which is not a shotgun.

Anyway, I don't even need to be near an "actual" gun store. Sporting goods stores for the wealthy have shotguns, rifles and ammunition on display. Easy peasy.

Also, there's also the possibility of using homemade firearms, which only require the ammunition.

J Tyran said:
My first line of defense would be one of those sets of Kevlar reinforced overalls. Like the ones police wear in raids so they don't risk getting spiked by broken glass or bitten by dogs and things. They are not armour so they wont stop a knife or a gunshot but they should keep zombie teeth out.

After that a sledgehammer will do nicely.
Wait. A vest that doesn't stop knifes or gunshots? I know about stab-vests not protecting from gun-shots and bullet-resistant vests not stopping knives, but you have to be really cheap to issue a vest that doesn't protect from either during raids.

FoodMonger said:
Guns are too noisy
Go with a subsonic caliber and a silencer. ~100dB isn't too loud on an open space.

Besides, nobody can say if zombies would be actually smart enough to follow gunshots, or even able to hear at all. I mean, decomposition must have a toll on those eardrums.

FoodMonger

May 4, 2009
Guns are too noisy, and melee weapons mean I need to be standing next to the thing trying to eat my face off.

I'm gonna go with a bow.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I'll use the powerful weapon of them all! THE BRAIN!

I can throw it as a distraction, they won't be expectin' that, see?

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
ElPatron said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
ElPatron said:
Patrick Buck said:

Nice, Hot Fuzz.

The police needs a reason to deny you the right for a shotgun certificate, though. Does "lives in a city" count? They have passed certificates to 11 year olds before.

Anyway, maybe I was confusing the UK with another country, but I thought you people needed gun clubs so that you could prove you can own anything which is not a shotgun.

Anyway, I don't even need to be near an "actual" gun store. Sporting goods stores for the wealthy have shotguns, rifles and ammunition on display. Easy peasy.

Also, there's also the possibility of using homemade firearms, which only require the ammunition.
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like one of these people who are under the impression that there are absolutely no guns in the UK whatsoever. It's jsut a bit trickier than crowbarring open the door to your local gun shop.

And in theory it's just as easy to have a shotgun in an urban area, it's just that there would be virtually no situations where you could legally use it. For the same reason there'd probably be fairly few sporting shops which would sell guns of any kind in the middle of a city.

But yeah, I see your general point. Guns aren't really as impossible to get your hands on in the UK as some people might think.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
ElPatron said:
erttheking said:
- Much longer range Duh.
- A single heatshot is fatalThere are a lot of places in the brain that are not required for immediate survival - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
- larger guns can be used as makeshift clubs sure, if you want to get them dirty and obstructed

Cons
- It is easy to miss without training or when you panic If you're not trained you shouldn't be holding a gun anyway
- Ammunition will most likely be limited that's why you stockpile it beforehand
- A gun can jam at a crucial moment AHAHAHAHAHAH OH WOW. So can any mechanical component, the difference is that if you maintain your weapon (much easier than say, a car) it won't malfunction
- Zombies feel no pain, so a shot to anywhere but the head will be a waste of ammoBull. Any shot can destroy muscle and tendons, which will hinder the movement and attacking abilities of any zombie

Melee weapons

Pros
- Can be used more often will also get you severely tired
- The blunt force is usually strong enough to break limbs, which can hamper a zombie's effectiveness and a single swing to the neck will most likely be fatalSo a gunshot can't cause that kind of damage?
- Are fairly easy to findSpeak for yourself. I can think of two places near me to break in if I want a gun. Can't think of any that sells anything beyond chainsaws and bats

Cons
-Require you to be close to the zombie to use
- Bladed weapons (such as an axe) can get stuck
- It is possible to break them

So, what will you do in the zombie apocalypse? Melee weapon or gun? Or do you have another plan that doesn't involve either? Personally I'd rather carry around a sledge hammer. I've never used a gun before in my life and I'd probably use half a clip IT'S CALLED MAGAZINE just to take down one zombie.
Thanks for your try but please try to inform you about what the hell you are talking about.

5.56x45 is small but deadly. Heck, I would post actual pictures of what happens when you get shot, but they are quite graphic.

This little guy is almost capable of ripping a whole leg off, and breaking bones without even touching them - trough the means of hydrostatic shock.

This thing is plentiful for "zombies". And the most common hunting calibers are a lot more powerful than 5.56.

Heck, get a shotgun and buckshot. If you have enough standoff a single shell will cover a whole human torso.
...Dude, I made this purely for the sake of entertainment. Calm down.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Geo Da Sponge said:
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't want to sound like one of these people who are under the impression that there are absolutely no guns in the UK whatsoever. It's jsut a bit trickier than crowbarring open the door to your local gun shop.
I'm not saying you are one of those.

But sometimes it's not as tricky as you might think. If it's empty and nobody to respond to alarm... Let's just say that I'm not very fond of keeping property on clubs/ranges even during normal times.

Geo Da Sponge said:
And in theory it's just as easy to have a shotgun in an urban area, it's just that there would be virtually no situations where you could legally use it.
Hunting, clay shooting, pest control?

erttheking said:
...Dude, I made this purely for the sake of entertainment. Calm down.
Yeah, how dare someone try to clear up some misconceptions that have no logical backup.

I'd make a witty remark about simply saying incorrect things is not entertainment, but I'm the one who entertains himself correcting silly Hollywood assumptions so I will refrain from that.

Ringo_Plumen

Jul 11, 2012
No choice for me really since it has to be something I'd actually be able to obtain. I live in Denmark and though finding a gun wouldn't be impossible in theory, odds are it would be in actuality (to the best of my knowledge only hunting rifles are legal in any way, unless you're military or police, no one really has firearms).

So melee for me, an axe probably or another kind of tool.