Poll: What's a reasonable percentage to play a game till?

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
If I don't like a game, I'm not going to play it. I remember after I complained about the recent Final Fantasy game, someone said to me "You can't judge it though, you haven't finished it. It gets better at the 15 hour mark."

That's ridiculous. If a game doesn't make me want to finish it, that's its fault and not mine.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I try for 100% but most of the time get to about 70%. Depends on the person I suppose.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Well so me it's more a matter of time then percentage, if you're unsure as to whether you like a game or not, play it for at least 3 hours total. By then you should have a good idea of what to expect and if you want to play on. There are exceptions but That's the general rule I go by.

Drtfgf5

May 24, 2011
I don't understand this thread that much...
But It totally depends on the game.
For example i almost have EVERY single item in Fallout 3.
GTA IV is another great game to 100 it swell.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
MaxPowers666 said:
I play games until I beat them or they are nolonger fun. There is no reasonable percentage involved, I dont play and then go oh look I hit 80% time to quit now, that would just be stupid.

Besides that how do you tell what percentage you are at in a game anyways? Very few games have a completion percentage and if you go by trophies/achieves those are no where near 100% of a game.

Saelune said:
You should atleast try every mode. I am currently playing alot of MW2 online, and the nosey person I am, I often check out people's profiles. Know how many 10th Prestiges have 0 Gamerscore? Just do one Spec Op mission or the first story mission and bam, achievements. To play online for that long and not even TRY story once!? Its...beyond me.
I have absolutely no desire at all to ever play the campaign for black ops. I did the first two missions and regret wasting my time on them. I would rather do something I enjoy them play a shitty single player campaign.
I am not talking about you. YOu played the first two missions and decided you dont like that mode. Thats fine. Infact, thats all Im asking! But not everyone even does as much as you did.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Rabish Bini said:
Until you stop having fun.

Be it 10% or 100% twice.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what is known as an /thread.

There is no set "reasonable percentage" to play until. You play until you stop enjoying yourself. This isn't homework or something, it's entertainment.

Unless you're a reviewer, and then you should play as much as possible, and inform your readers/viewers if you didn't finish and explain why not. And especially unless you're writing a guide of some kind for the game, which in most cases means that you had damn well better have gotten 100% completion first. You can't really write an accurate guide on how to get through Ocarina of Time if you stopped playing at the Forest Temple, can you?

But if it's just for your own enjoyment, no, there is no such thing as a reasonable percentage you need to play until.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
Besides that how do you tell what percentage you are at in a game anyways? Very few games have a completion percentage and if you go by trophies/achieves those are no where near 100% of a game.
That's not always true. It depends on the achievements the game has. For example, I recently just finished getting 1,000/1,000 in both You Don't Know Jack and LA Noire, and you can bet your ass that myself any anyone else who has 1,000/1,000 or the platinum trophy in those games has absolutely seen and played 100% of those games. Sure, there are things like Avatar: The Burning Earth where people probably only had to play for 5 minutes too. Point is, you can't just look at anyone who got 100% of the available achievements* and say "Oh, they didn't play all of the game yet" based just on that.

*Key word being available, before anyone wants to get smart and point out that I only have 1,200/1,400 in LA Noire and 1,375/1,500 in You Don't Know Jack. Unreleased DLC is not playable, so of course I didn't play that yet.

EDIT: Oops, I did not mean to hit post. Sorry about the double post. >_<

rmb1983

I am the storm.
Mar 29, 2011
Moromillas said:
MaxPowers666 said:
Moromillas said:
Maybe you should expand your poll a little. 8% is barely enough to see what the game is.
Mabey you should try reading his post before you make stupid comments like this.
Mbeya we need less trolls on Escapist. /sigh
Whether his comment was snarky or not, he's still right. The OP was not specifying 1-8% game completion with the 8 options for his poll. Reading his post would have amply clarified that.
mjc0961 said:
MaxPowers666 said:
That's not always true. It depends on the achievements the game has.
QFT. As I mentioned before, the Achievements/Trophies for some games over-extend the game itself to the point that you actually have to do horrid grinding and/or pointless busy-work to 100%/Platinum them. Others...that 100%/Platinum represents only a marginal portion of the game's content.
Which is precisely why I think it's a flawed measure for determining "completion" of a game.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
a lot of games nowadays have the percentage meter inside. and its usually no need for it either since i play it 100%. thats the only way to go for me. if i start a game i must finish it 100%. even for one as crappy as far cry 2. and i dont go for badges/trophys since there are none on pc.