Poll: What's Your Deal With Easy Mode

skurz

Mar 16, 2013
Xcell935 said:
skurz said:
I think the Devil May Cry reboot tackled alternative difficulties decently, though it still had the annoying Easy, Normal, Hard modes.

After beating the game once, another mode called Son of Sparda was unlocked- the only difference is that "big" enemies show up earlier and all enemies are stronger.

After beating the game on that mode, two more are unlocked: Dante Must Die! and Heaven or Hell.
Dante Must Die! mode is an extreme version of Son of Sparda that upon completion gives you a great upgrade.
Heaven or Hell mode allows you to kill anything in one hit, but you also die in one hit. Very fast paced and fun!

Then, possibly taking it too far, after beating it on Heaven or Hell, Hell or Hell is unlocked, where all enemies are upgraded..... and you die in one hit.

While I enjoy a good challenge, after beating DmC on its "hard" difficulty, I was a bit too drained to want to play harder and harder levels, and Heaven or Hell was only obtainable after beating the damn game twice already.
Thats actually where the old DMC's shine the most compared to the new DmC. Where as normal *surprise motherf***er its hard" mode in DMC3 was challenging, and DMC4's normal was just as challenging, DmC is unfortunately dumbed down and easily breakable (fully upgraded Drive.... *facepalm*). As soon as I beat Son of Sparda I went into Dante Must Die and 2 hours in was bored to tears... then it froze. I know, I know, I grew up with the old DMC's where I'd play DMD till my heart stopped functioning from the 60fps but talk about inconsistency... you'd think if you were using an IP that had difficulty modes that were strangely hard yet still fun and provided a challenge it wouldn't be so watered down in a reboot. But hey... not even Ninja Theory can defend what they did.

OT: I don't easy mode. Its not fun.
Remember God Hand's "easy" mode? That was the last game I played on easy, after that experience I want THAT easy mode in every game pls.

Its also why I like Dark Souls. Here are the difficulty settings in case anyone is curious:
-New Game
-Load Game
I never played the original games, but they sound much better than the reboot. The reboot made me feel so frustrated at how ridiculous and broken the combat system felt, and replaying the same game over and over with different enemies was so dreadfully boring. I'm glad to know that the reboot isn't too much like the series!

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I don't really mind the inclusion of an Easy Mode in games and I can see why it would exist in the first place.

For many people, they are new or unfamiliar with a genre/game series. So rather than die or lose the game due to its normal or hard difficulty, they want to get the basics right and probably switch to a harder difficulty once they've done so.

As for me, if I'm unfamiliar with the game series, I usually start at the normal difficulty, so that I can get the hang of the gameplay. If it's a series that I'm familiar with, I'll choose between Normal and Hard (Normal because I know that it would be more enjoyable this way, or Hard in order to provide more of a challenge).

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
I'm all for different difficulty settings in games and don't understand why so many people are offended by the idea of them. Personally it makes no difference to me (I generally play on the "normal" setting for games with 3 levels of difficulty (or on the 4th for the ones with 5), so it actually makes no difference to me - my experience would be the same regardless. But I understand that some people want certain elements to be more challenging, while others are playing for the atmosphere or the story, so I think it's a good feature in general.

kickyourass said:
Well the way I see it, easy difficulties aren't for you or me, they're meant as a way to give gamers who are new, less experienced or just not very skilled, a way into the game so they can enjoy it as well.
I think that's a bit dismissive of the people who play for the atmosphere/story elements (although I agree that it's just a way to let other people enjoy the game). I was just commenting in another thread about people I know who are not new to games or inexperienced, but they're just not interested in the combat elements of certain games, so they appreciate being able to have an easy way to get to the next environment or plot point.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Raikas said:
I'm all for different difficulty settings in games and don't understand why so many people are offended by the idea of them. Personally it makes no difference to me (I generally play on the "normal" setting for games with 3 levels of difficulty (or on the 4th for the ones with 5), so it actually makes no difference to me - my experience would be the same regardless. But I understand that some people want certain elements to be more challenging, while others are playing for the atmosphere or the story, so I think it's a good feature in general.

kickyourass said:
Well the way I see it, easy difficulties aren't for you or me, they're meant as a way to give gamers who are new, less experienced or just not very skilled, a way into the game so they can enjoy it as well.
I think that's a bit dismissive of the people who play for the atmosphere/story elements (although I agree that it's just a way to let other people enjoy the game). I was just commenting in another thread about people I know who are not new to games or inexperienced, but they're just not interested in the combat elements of certain games, so they appreciate being able to have an easy way to get to the next environment or plot point.
I can understand that, perhaps I should have phrased it, "Primarily meant as a way to give less skilled games an in." Because there's nothing wrong with people who want to play on easy for the atmosphere or the writing, and I think developers should be mindful of that fact, but at the moment the thinking to making lower difficulty is USUALLY "This is for people who aren't as good." Maybe not exclusively, but usually.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Depends on the game, if it´s bloody annoying to play (Not all games have gameplay and controls that are suited for very high difficulties), i´m going to go with easy mode but eles i prefer a challenge.

cridia

Aug 2, 2009
Generally I tend to play it on normal, but these days I gravitate towards easy modes as well. Especially now that games have become part of my research and more than enjoyment, time has become of the essence. I also don't have many qualms with cheat codes or abusing glitches anymore either, especially when the game contains excessive grinding if you want to complete it legit. Often nowadays, I just need to understand what a certain challenge is like, rather than experience it in all of its difficulty. Or if I have to analyze the atmosphere or things like narrative elements, in which case I have no use for challenge at all anymore.

thebakedpotato

Jun 18, 2012
I love easy mode. All of the fun from a game, none of the strangling yourself with a controller cord in frustration.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I don't usually get a lot of time to play, so while I default to normal mode I'll happily kick it down to Easy if it's getting too long-winded. I don't really see the point of Hard modes -- usually it's not really harder, it's just more frustrating and grindy (because usually it just ends up being a health tweak of some kind). And that's something I don't ever want in a game. Games are supposed to be fun, not annoying.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I never play games on their very easiest or their very hardest, exceptions obviously made for the few games that only have two difficulty settings or arcade-y games like Pac-Man DX CE or the Bit.Trip series.
But I do play easy when I play co-op. I just find it more fun than dying a whole bunch. That said, I have some good memories of going through Legendary runs through the Halo games co-op.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Broderick said:
(Just saying now, I would not mind the addition of an optional easy mode to dark souls). Mechanically, the game would definitely still be good, but I think the experience as a whole would be hurt if the game was easier. One of the main themes of the game is the inevitability of death, and the struggle against it; by making the game easier, this theme becomes less prevalent, and the world much less threatening. This would hurt the entire premise the game is based on, and I think it would not only hurt the game, but do a disservice the players as well.
Well that's the point of a difficulty level though. It's so everyone can find their level of challenging. What's a rewarding grind for some may simply be an impossible wall for others.
Everything in Dark Souls is intertwined, the difficulty is wrapped up in the world and in the exploration. The whole package would suffer if (in Dark Souls) there was an easy mode implemented. I say in Dark Souls because we know what that game is, we know its length, Dark Souls 2 could be longer. But Dark Souls is not a big game, if there was an easy mode people would clear it so fast they probably wouldn't feel they got their moneys worth. Heck, some people are able to clear half the game in just thirty minutes. There aren't any huge cutscenes, no big Mass Effect style conversations, no characters to romance.

I think Dark Souls is like the old Zelda games that reward exploration. Exploring and paying attention make the game so much easier. Paying attention to stats like how fast your stamina regenerates compared to other games. It allows for the game being easier. It's also an RPG so leveling makes the game easier. There is an "easy mode" already built into the game, and I'm not even talking about playing a caster hur hur*.

Strictly in terms of gameplay, do you think it detracts from a game (whose selling point is gameplay,) that has a difficulty slider outside the game in a menu? It rarely changes anything but HP. Think Capra Demon, everyone's favorite early game boss. Will it make his dogs disappear? Will it make him swing and slower? Will it change his attacks and patterns at all? If not, then someone not learning from the fight will still likely die due to getting staggered or attacking when they should be rolling away. It just might take longer due to the boss's damage either being decreased or the players health being buffed.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ishal said:
Everything in Dark Souls is intertwined, the difficulty is wrapped up in the world and in the exploration. The whole package would suffer if (in Dark Souls) there was an easy mode implemented. I say in Dark Souls because we know what that game is, we know its length, Dark Souls 2 could be longer. But Dark Souls is not a big game, if there was an easy mode people would clear it so fast they probably wouldn't feel they got their moneys worth. Heck, some people are able to clear half the game in just thirty minutes. There aren't any huge cutscenes, no big Mass Effect style conversations, no characters to romance.

I think Dark Souls is like the old Zelda games that reward exploration. Exploring and paying attention make the game so much easier. Paying attention to stats like how fast your stamina regenerates compared to other games. It allows for the game being easier. It's also an RPG so leveling makes the game easier. There is an "easy mode" already built into the game, and I'm not even talking about playing a caster hur hur*.

Strictly in terms of gameplay, do you think it detracts from a game (whose selling point is gameplay,) that has a difficulty slider outside the game in a menu? It rarely changes anything but HP. Think Capra Demon, everyone's favorite early game boss. Will it make his dogs disappear? Will it make him swing and slower? Will it change his attacks and patterns at all? If not, then someone not learning from the fight will still likely die due to getting staggered or attacking when they should be rolling away. It just might take longer due to the boss's damage either being decreased or the players health being buffed.
WUGH. I don't want to revisit those tiresome old "Dark Souls II potential easy mode the world is ending" threads, so I'll just say this once more so we don't go round and round. The point of an "easy mode" is not so people who would've been happy playing on normal or hard can ruin their good time. It's so people who couldn't manage those difficulties can actually experience the game. Not people who just needed to "stick with it" a bit. People who just can't handle it, period. Believe me, they exist.

"BUT AN EASY MODE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO IMPLEMENT"

No, it isn't. Buff up the player's hit points, and implement a more generous and forgiving save/reload feature...perhaps by allowing players to set up portable fires close to difficult sections.

"BUT THAT WOULD MAKE IT TOO EASY AND THUS POINTLESS"

For YOU, yes. Not for the hypothetical easy mode needer, who would probably find such a mode just as terrifying and relentless a slog as most people found normal.

"BUT THEN NORMAL PEOPLE WOULD CHOOSE THAT MODE BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE WEAK/PATH OF LEAST RESISTANCE"

And yet people willingly choose hard modes in games with scaling difficulty all the time, because they find challenge rewarding.

"BUT THE GAME WOULD LOSE ITS SPECIAL 'LEET GAMERS ONLY' PANACHE"

Yeah, well...it might. I'm personally not terribly concerned about it. From would have to weigh the potential loss of X try-hards who need to have a barred club house against X casual gamers who like the look and feel of the world but cannot handle the difficulty (or find the repetition intolerable).

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree with some of those points.

Generally, I hate the whole tryhard hyper competitive attitude. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but some games aren't meant for some gamers. I don't particularly get feelings of satisfaction knowing I can do something (in a video game no less) that others can't. I'm not that type of person. Dark Souls is a very niche title not just in regards to the difficulty, but in its content. I seriously doubt the content gated by the difficulty would appeal to that many people. They won't find characters like Alistair from Dragon Age or any other stuff like that behind that one boss they just couldn't clear. It's niche.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Ishal said:
Generally, I hate the whole tryhard hyper competitive attitude. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but some games aren't meant for some gamers. I don't particularly get feelings of satisfaction knowing I can do something (in a video game no less) that others can't. I'm not that type of person. Dark Souls is a very niche title not just in regards to the difficulty, but in its content. I seriously doubt the content gated by the difficulty would appeal to that many people. They won't find characters like Alistair from Dragon Age or any other stuff like that behind that one boss they just couldn't clear. It's niche.
You know, I think maybe the worst thing to ever happen to Dark Souls was that it got this reputation for being a hard game for hard men and there was literally nothing else to like about it.

While there's definitely some janky elements there that would need polishing if you wanted to claw in a broader audience, I'm actually going to disagree that there's nothing there to appeal beyond the difficulty. If anything, the difficulty occasionally obscures the experience as much as it occasionally improves it. Dark Souls is one of a handful of games I would praise effusively for success at indirect storytelling. The world is incredibly evocative, and sometimes quite emotional. Yes, one of those emotions is fear/dread, which is imposed by the difficulty. But there's also a tremendous melancholy that permeates everything. Stories like Sif and Artorias, or the sad fate of New Londo...memorable locations like Anor Londo or the Tomb of the Giants...there's a lot here for a fantasy buff to enjoy. It's a beautiful, haunting world, and I think there's a LOT of potential in that series that is currently locked up behind "Well we need a bunch of shit-hard bosses that require a lot of twitch and enthusiasm for tedious repetition to get past, and then we can call it a day". I happen to have both (MMO veteran...woot!) so it doesn't really annoy me that Dark Souls II looks like MOTS, but I can't help but feel a little sad, too. I feel like there's a lot of potential getting squandered there.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I'm currently playing throu Bioshock Infinite on easy mode, it's my third play through and after playing both medium and hard it's quite nice to get through enemies easily and always have plenty of cash on hand for upgrades.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
It really depends. I played only one game in recent history on easy. Can't remember which, but it was some tower defense game that I was killing time in my work with while monster set of installations went on. Usually, if I care about a game I just keep on going until I beat it. If I see it only as time killer, and it stresses me out, I just drop it.

On the other hand, not all people have same set of skills and not all people want same thing from games. Unless creator had really something to say with that exact design and difficulty, why would anyone care if someone just plays on easy?

In the end, it?s up to creator will he put it in the game, and the games will he select it.