Poll: What's your favourite Fallout game?

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
I just finished playing through the original Fallout for the first time and I must say I was very impressed. The fact that a game this good was made in 1997 is pretty amazing. There's a lot of reward for exploration which I always like to see, and the weapons were extremely satisfying to use. It was one of those games where I felt it was getting better all the time, right up until the end (a steady stream of more powerful weapons obviously helps here) and I've had a hard time doing anything else the last few days.

Anyway, I plan on playing through the whole series and I'm going to do it in the following order:
1. Fallout
2. Fallout 3
3. Fallout 2
4. Fallout: New Vegas
Mainly because 1 and 2 are very similar as are 3 and NV. I don't have tactics but I don't know much about it other than it's more RTS-style. Is it worth getting? What would you compare its gameplay to?

I think I actually enjoyed Fallout more than my first play through of Fallout 3. But we'll see what happens when I revisit it.

Which game is your favourite? How would you rank them? Would you rather see the series go back to its roots or do you like the new direction its taken?

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
It's a though choice between 1 and 2. The first one had better main story, but 2 had more things to do. Especially after you add the restoration project. I think I might have to go with 2.
I haven't played New Vegas, but I enjoyed 3. It's just so different from the previous ones.
I also have tactics, but I haven't yet played it.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
Fallout 3. And you know what? I don't care what people say about it. In my mind, it's the best game in the series. As a wise meme once said:

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
It's between Fallout 2 and Vegas I think. I really love the humour of Fallout 2 and Fallout Vegas has Old World Blues and Dead Money which are awesome.

Fallout 3 is good but it's played too straight for my liking.

Matt East

Apr 4, 2011
I like where it's heading, I have all of the games in the poll, but New Vegas is my favorite.
At times it almost feels like a backwards step from 3, but it makes up for it with the new features.

Just throwing this out there, but I'd like to see the next game set in Baltimore, you could have an achievement/trophy called "It Takes Two" for when you get your first companion, congrats to anyone who gets my train of thought on that one.

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Super Toast said:
Fallout 3. And you know what? I don't care what people say about it. In my mind, it's the best game in the series. As a wise meme once said:

You should calm down, Fallout 3 has a shitload of fans.

I voted for New Vegas myself. I liked it just a little bit more than Fallout 3 . Also, I'm sure 1,2 and Tactics are fantastic games, but to have enjoyed them properly I should've probably played them when they came out. Now, to me they seem good, but not fantastic (this applies to many old games) .

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Fallout 3.
I really liked all the extra features they threw in for New Vegas and the karma system is way better but the world didn't feel as memorable as the Capital Wasteland and it didn't help that the world was smaller to.
And I haven't found any way to play Fallout: Tactics on Vista outside of just pirating the thing, the game just flat out uses to work (Yes, I'm using the Fallout Collection if you're interested in helping me......Please?) and as for Fallout 1/2, I REALLY hate the combat in those games.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Fallout 3, by quite a margin.

It's all about the atmosphere and exploration for me, that makes up for all the flaws it has. I like all the fallout games but yeah, 3 will probably always be my fave.

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
silasbufu said:
Also, I'm sure 1,2 and Tactics are fantastic games, but to have enjoyed them properly I should've probably played them when they came out. Now, to me they seem good, but not fantastic (this applies to many old games) .
I don't really understand this thinking. I know it's probably just me, because I've never had that problem with old games. I'm not old enough to have played many of the classics when they came out (my family got a computer pretty late), but I still enjoyed them later.
It's just very strange. Is it like watching black and white, or even silent films, in that you have very different expectations than what you actually get?

Xealeon

Feb 9, 2009
Fallout 3, something about a giant world full of ruined urban areas to explore in first person just makes all the other faults of that game melt away in my eyes.

And yes, Fallout: Tactics is worth it but remember this mantra that the brotherhood teaches to all their initiates: "This is my quick-save key, there are many like it but this is mine, without my quick-save key I am nothing, without me my quick-save key is nothing."

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
I'd have to say number two with number 1 coming in close second. 3 is nice, but it's just fails at the setting and atmosphere that's important too Fallout, F:NV picks up the pace though.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Glad to see the love for FO3. I'm always told I ought to love FO2 instead, but I've played all the FO games besides BoS and Tactics, and while I loved FO2, FO3's environments are tons better, and the gameplay is a slight improvement too (yeah, only slightly, at least for me, because I had a lot of fun with FO2's isometric team-based combat for some reason >_>).

So, FO3 for me. New Vegas was ok, I guess, but the environments/atmosphere sucked compared to Bethseda's game. No urban wasteland, room to room fighting against supermutant hordes...just a blank desert and a legion of sword-wielding idiots.

Llil said:
silasbufu said:
Also, I'm sure 1,2 and Tactics are fantastic games, but to have enjoyed them properly I should've probably played them when they came out. Now, to me they seem good, but not fantastic (this applies to many old games) .
I don't really understand this thinking. I know it's probably just me, because I've never had that problem with old games. I'm not old enough to have played many of the classics when they came out (my family got a computer pretty late), but I still enjoyed them later.
It's just very strange. Is it like watching black and white, or even silent films, in that you have very different expectations than what you actually get?
It's not a problem for me either, but I'm sure they enjoyed it even more when it was considered state of the art graphics/gameplay :p

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
New Vegas (the only one I've enjoyed getting to the end of, most I feel like the last act is an up hill struggle)

"Hail Caesar"

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i liked the side quest stories more in Fallout 3 and the main game story

but i just can't say no to a Grenade Machinegun. But i rekon Fallout 3 and New vegas are Equal

silasbufu

Aug 5, 2009
Llil said:
silasbufu said:
It's not a way of thinking, it's something that happens to some people involuntarily. I wish I could enjoy older games more, I really do, but some of them I just can't .
Let's take Baldur's Gate for example. I have played it a few weeks ago, it was an ok experience, but it left a huge hole inside my mind leaving me wondering "How much more would I have enjoyed this game when it came out? When everyone went bonkers over it"

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
silasbufu said:
It's not a way of thinking, it's something that happens to some people involuntarily. I wish I could enjoy older games more, I really do, but some of them I just can't .
Let's take Baldur's Gate for example. I have played it a few weeks ago, it was an ok experience, but it left a huge hole inside my mind leaving me wondering "How much more would I have enjoyed this game when it came out? When everyone went bonkers over it"
I guess I can see where you're coming from. However, that has never happened to me, so I still don't get it. It's a good thing, I suppose, being able to take old games at face value without feeling there's something missing.

Zeitgeist1983

Jul 20, 2011
Fallout 2 totally blew my mind when I first (and second and third) played it. It was totally underrated in the magazines I read at that time.

I tried Tactics and was totally bored by the game. They took away the great RPG-stuff and left only the fighting-system in.

Fallout 3 I found good, but not as epic as part 2. The world is too small compared to FA2. But it was cool to walk around in 3D the first time.

I never tried FA1 because of the time limit. I will probably try out New Vegas one day...

CaptainTrilby

Jun 3, 2011
I would have to say New Vegas in my opinion. I just preferred the sense of making an actual impact on the world as I went round murdering and pillaging. Plus, I thought the writing was better than Fallout 3 and Old World Blues just made me laugh my head off.