Poll: What's your Operating System?

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Windows 7 64 bit after many years of contentment with XP I decided to upgrade because its essentially a sleeker version of XP seriously screw vista.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
I stayed with Windows XP on my gaming machines as long as possible, but I got to admit Windows 7 (64 bit) is really good. Windows starts feeling like a real OS now.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
W7 Ultimate 64 bit on desktop, W7 Professional 64 bit on laptop.

luke10123 said:
Just bought a new gaming PC which came with XP. runs beautifully, was just wondering if anyone else is still lingering around this pre-user account control paradise? anyone think there's any point in upgrading to Win 7 anytime soon?
Pre-user account control paradise? Wut?

Yeah, stability, security, functions and the fact it's slowly gonna stop being supported by various products. Don't get me wrong, XP was a great system, but 7's just better.

HyRock

Jun 14, 2010
For My Laptop I had XP for the last for years but since I bought a new one It came With 7 64-bit (Do I remember correctly that XP only suports up to 4gb of ram)
But the old laptop went to my stepson and XP is still alive and kickin'

Also partner has Vista and this OS sucks ass.. bigtime

But Seven is rather good.. I'd reccomend it but only for a real powerful rig.. Otherwise I'd go with XP anytime..

DeleteThisAcc

Nov 19, 2009
main - Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 32bit (that's Linux)
secondary - W7 32bit (not so useful)
experimental - anything (mostly for testing new Linux releases/distros)

the.gill123

Jun 12, 2011
I'm running windows 7, 32 bit, on one laptop, its a crappy laptop that's 5 years old, but it runs better than my new laptop thats 64 bit and only 6 months old, the only thing i want windows to adopt, is an Expose style windows switcher.

Mar 9, 2010
Windows 7 64-bit with a Ubuntu (11 I think) dual boot. I usually use Windows 7 but I like playing around with Ubuntu, especially now that they have a bay at the side for programs. I know that Windows 7 has that, but it's just not as good.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I run 64-bit Windows 7 on my gaming rig, 32-bit Windows XP on my netbook, and I'm setting a dual boot of Ubuntu and XP 32-bit on my backup desktop.

As for upgrading to 7, do it, 7's UAC is easy to turn off, so that's a non-issue. I loved XP, and was wary about swapping to 7, but once you get settled in on 7 you'll wonder why it took you so long to change over.
Z of the Na said:
OSX Lion Version 10.7.1

[sub]...I'll just show myself out, then.[/sub]
Bummer for having a Mac, and isn't Lion getting on in age now?

And for the love of all that's holy, let's not start this into a Mac/PC thread, just gonna preempt that.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
Fayathon said:
Bummer for having a Mac, and isn't Lion getting on in age now?

And for the love of all that's holy, let's not start this into a Mac/PC thread, just gonna preempt that.
The PC/Mac argument is stupid and flawed, anyway.

You must have the Lion I am talking about confused with something else. This is the latest version of OSX, released back in July of this year, making Snow Leopard obsolete. Go figure.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
devotedsniper said:
Danceofmasks said:
devotedsniper said:
My gaming rig uses both win7 pro 64bit and xp pro 64bit, i uses win7 for gaming, and general work where xp gets used for older programs which don't work on vista up os's (e.g. SSADM). I must say my machine is notably faster on 7 which is surprising considering xp uses less resources, but then again it was never designed for multi-core processor's (i did run vista on this for a period of 2 days and went back to xp, that thing was lag fest and will never touch a computer i own again).
Nah, Win7 seems faster 'cos it "cheats."
Simplistic version:

There's this preload folder that tells it which programs you like using, and instead of loading hundreds of files every time you run something, you're loading one giant file.

It's much faster, but you will notice that stuff isn't as fast the first time you run it, or after recovering from some crashes, 'cos it loses the preloaded file.
I am indeed aware of the superfetch system and while it may cheat, it works well doesn't it so need to bash it really and when you think about it a cpu basically does the same thing with it's cache only it's (regularly used) instructions rather than files.

Either way i cant complain when it comes down to doing what i designed it for gaming and coding, even with 1gb ram down at the moment it still manages to max all modern games @ 1680*1050 (was 4gb but 1 stick blew).
Nah, I like prefetch.
Just that knowing how it works explains a lot, rather than getting worried wondering "why's my computer taking so long to load up, after the power out?"

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Z of the Na said:
The PC/Mac argument is stupid and flawed, anyway.

You must have the Lion I am talking about confused with something else. This is the latest version of OSX, released back in July of this year, making Snow Leopard obsolete. Go figure.
I don't keep up with Mac, as I don't personally care for them, so I'm not sure which distributions are newest, ergo my confusion. I thought they were on OS 11 at this time...

I really should keep abreast of Mac stuff, considering I'm in school to to get my certs to fix computers for a living, even machines I dislike will be part of my job, it wouldn't be a good idea to assume that I can get away with not studying them. Though I do wish they'd use standardize they're parts, the last Mac we had in in class had a 22 pin P1 connector, when 20 or 24 pins are the standard.

I hate proprietary bullshit.... I'll stop ranting now, otherwise I might start complaining about Dell too.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but I'm about to make a flash drive of Puppy Linux, which lets me boot all my user preferences onto most computers in the world. Poll is a bit Windows biased? There are games on linux, despite popular opinion...

HyRock said:
(Do I remember correctly that XP only suports up to 4gb of ram)
Yes, it's a 32-bit OS which means there are only 2^32 possible memory addresses, which equals 4gb of RAM.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I collect e-waste and try to make it run, here's what I have in the house:

Mine is a 2.5GHz Dell Pentium 4. Single core. Runs XP.
Wife has a Core Duo. Also running on XP. Uncertain if it's 32 or 64. Probably 64 bit.
We have a 3GHz IBM Desktop. It runs Ubuntu 9.

There's also:
- an 800MHz Pentium 4 that runs on Vector 6. I found that tower parked on a curb.
- an old 1GHz that runs Vector Light. My wife's old PC.
- a 1.8GHz Celeron with its guts all over the place at the moment, a hand-me-down from a friend who I was helping with it all the time until he broke down and bought a new machine. That one has XP. I plan to run some old games like TIE Fighter with the 40" LCD TV as a monitor.
- a Presario 1200XL-107 laptop that uses Windows 98SE. I wonder if I could get something for that as a collector's item???
- My mother's old k6-2 450 with DOS 6.22 installed. And my original SB-16 card slotted in it. A genuine DOS box.
- And finally, my old K6-2 500 which has been with me forever. Windows 98SE.

EDIT: For those not familiar, Ubuntu and Vector are different builds of Linux which have a GUI interface like Windows and Mac. My wife experimented with Ubuntu because she wanted to try a free operating system, and for free, it's pretty damn good until you need to use DirectX. I used Vector because I was interested in getting some old machines to run Diablo 2, and I'm too old to go chasing after cracks for operating systems. Vector is also free and runs pretty smooth until DirectX is involved.

YawningAngel

Dec 22, 2010
luke10123 said:
Just bought a new gaming PC which came with XP. runs beautifully, was just wondering if anyone else is still lingering around this pre-user account control paradise? anyone think there's any point in upgrading to Win 7 anytime soon?
I heard the last two iterations of DirectX aren't compatible with Windows XP.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Windows 7, for some bizarre reason it keeps asking me for my product key, taken it to various tech shops who all accused me of using a crack till I showed them the receipt.

Vista was a pile of shit but I never had this problem with it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
luke10123 said:
Windows XP is ancient, heck Vista was better than it (I didnt get Vista until the patches fixed the issues and thus had a good experience with it using compatible hardware), 7 tho is definitely the best (especially now that I've gone to 64bit).

Som_kun

Jan 24, 2011
Linoleum Boy said:
Windows 3.11 and DOS
you sir... are a badass

Baby Tea said:
luke10123 said:
Just bought a new gaming PC which came with XP.
A new gaming PC with windows XP?
So no DirectX 10 or 11 support, eh?
Which, at the moment, only means you can't play Battlefield 3 and Halo 2, but that list'll get longer. I'd upgrade. I know it's hard, given that Vista was a steaming pile of ass, but 7 is actually really nice. I picked up an OEM copy for $100, and it's been pretty excellent.

I'm on Windows 7, 32 bit. But if it wasn't for games being all Windows, I'd be 100% Linux.
It's free, it's faster, and it's more secure. Linux is awesome.
Again: Except for games. Then it's a hassle.
why would you willingly play either BF3 or H2???

Pureblood Linux, plays all the games worth talking about (except sims 1... never could quite figure that one out...)