Poll: What's your Operating System?

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
luke10123 said:
Just bought a new gaming PC which came with XP. runs beautifully, was just wondering if anyone else is still lingering around this pre-user account control paradise? anyone think there's any point in upgrading to Win 7 anytime soon?
Mmm, look, only problem is this catch 22.

XP is great, but only great if you have 3 or 4GBs, if you have more ram, that means you'll need to run XP 64, and that is worse than Vista 32, and I'm not joking.

Interetingly enough, I stopped using XP in 2008 when I upgraded to Vista SP1 (which was a flawless operating system, unlike all the media hype attributed to the original, mostly from morotic users :mad:, anyway).

I'm currently using Windows 7 Ultimate on laptop and desktop. Your choice is basically 7 64 or Vista 64 or XP 32 (which you may be running). Oh, for some context, XP 64 has no drivers, but that could've changed up till April 09 when support seised... But I doubt it.

Funkysandwich

Contra Bassoon
Jan 15, 2010
I bought a friend of mine a copy on Windows 7 after his old XP installation was nuked by spyware for the fourth time in a row. He hasn't looked back.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Som_kun said:
why would you willingly play either BF3 or H2???

Pureblood Linux, plays all the games worth talking about (except sims 1... never could quite figure that one out...)
Well I'm not saying those are 'must have' games, only that they require DirectX 10 or higher.
And Linux isn't terrible for games, what with Wine and better community support then most companies paid tech support, but it's not exactly easy. I mean, look at Sims 2! That is still labelled as 'garbage' in terms of runability under AppDB. It would run like a Kenyan on fire on my current machine in Windows, but unplayable in Linux (Despite a million fixes to try).

Not that Sims 2 is a deal breaker, but the point is: It's not as easy as Windows.

That being said, for everything NOT games? Linux. Linux, hands down.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
luke10123 said:
Just bought a new gaming PC which came with XP. runs beautifully, was just wondering if anyone else is still lingering around this pre-user account control paradise? anyone think there's any point in upgrading to Win 7 anytime soon?
Erm, 7 user since release and never once had a UAC pop up, and I've done nothing in the settings :S. You kinda remind me of my dad, he also clings to XP with white knuckles claiming it to be the Messiah build of Windows.

I mean no offense, but that is kinda true when you think about it. As an XP user (and lover), Vista user (and thought it wasn't half as bad as everyone said it was) and 7 user (and lover) I can wholeheartedly recommend upgrading to 7.

Z of the Na said:
OSX Lion Version 10.7.1

[sub]...I'll just show myself out, then.[/sub]
Pretty much. My condolences for your OS.

DelphiSantano

Feb 11, 2009
I've got a Mac running OSX Lion, but I've got Windows 7 Pro running on bootcamp for the few things you can't do on a mac :p
Also, I've used all the Windows versions since 95, upgrading as i went.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Anti Nudist Cupcake said:
Windows 7 is much nicer. Why do you think it absolutely dominates the results in the poll?
It dominates because it is getting more and more difficult to run games on any Windows other than Vista or 7, and let's face it, nobody uses Vista.
But the interface it inherited from Vista is total shit. XP was way better.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Vista but idk which one I'm a computer noob

I go on my brother's Windows 7 and I have to undo all the habits I developed through having to work through lag e.g. trying to double click on all documents I want before the first one opens. Maybe that's cos of the OS or maybe it's because of all the crap I have on the hard drive

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
You can turn off the annoying UAC in 7 and if it's a gaming pc, then you need 7 for the latest DirectX (and thus the best gaming experience). Back when I had Vista it was a constant fight to find reasons not to go back to XP. However 7 is a MUCH better OS and once you have it, there's no reason whatsoever to use XP.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
OSX Snow Leopard 10.6

I tend to buy the even OS's...so I probably won't get Lion...but wait until whatever is after that. Though, who knows?

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
luke10123 said:
I have Windows 7 (64bit) and I grudgingly admit I love it. I have yet to have any Windows hic-ups or incompatibility issues. Heck, I haven't even found any real issues with using a 64bit OS. Well, aside from the occasional website that prefers to be in a 32bit browser, but that can be fixed just by installing a 32bit version of your favorite internet browser.

scoopz

Sep 15, 2011
when i built my new computer (its only 2 months old) i upgraded from xp to 7 32bit.

but people have been telling me i should have done 64bit, seeing as how i have alot of ram and game incessantly.. i honestly don't know the diffrence and never have.

could someone explain to me why i should have done 64bit? or does it matter that im using 32bit.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
I have a Windows 7 64bit with some 2 year old hardware for gaming and a Mac Pro -OSX Lion Version 10.7.1- which was offered at a huge discount through my school and it renders as a BEAST and I do almost everything on it. Except gaming that goes onto the Windows.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I have w7 64 and I very much enjoy it. I love the features and I can play BF3 if I so choose (unlike XP), but I wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't included. I find windows OS really over-priced, but so if you feel it's worth it to upgrade it for you then go for it, I'm certainly happy.

HyRock

Jun 14, 2010
scoopz said:
when i built my new computer (its only 2 months old) i upgraded from xp to 7 32bit.

but people have been telling me i should have done 64bit, seeing as how i have alot of ram and game incessantly.. i honestly don't know the diffrence and never have.

could someone explain to me why i should have done 64bit? or does it matter that im using 32bit.
If You'd had red the whole topic you would probably know already.. But bad HyRock for being such a wiseguy on the topic you're not so home at yourself.. Anyhow I had a similar question earlyer and here is the answer.

Esotera said:
it's a 32-bit OS which means there are only 2^32 possible memory addresses, which equals 4gb of RAM.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
My laptop is Windows 7 64bit. Love it to pieces. It's quite painful to deal with anything else, now.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
On my main PC I have Windows 7 64bit.
The old PC has Windows Vista 32bit.

My mobile uses Android obviously.

I also have an iPad.
It's pretty neat.