Poll: When Gender Is A Choice, Which Do You Choose?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Pretty sure this has been a thread in the past, and I'll just say what I have always said.

As a male, I tend to make my original character a male. It's easier to relate to a fellow male especially going into a new world. It's easier to accept and learn a new world when I see all things the same as my character, including the opposite sex.

However, after the first play through, it's free game. Might be male, might be female on my second game. No later than a third play-through, though. In MMOs I tend to have a mixture. And my female avatars are more likely to be healers or something sneaky like a rogue. This could be because I generally wanna be a warrior or the equivalent on my first play-through, as much as anything else. I did have a female Elf Warrior in Dragon Age, for example.

The Danger

Jun 13, 2013
Male as male. If the character is customizeable at all, it tends to be the kind of game where you're meant to project yourself into the protagonist's shoes. So... yeah.

It is worth mentioning, though, that if it's the kind of game that I end up playing through multiple times, gender is usually the first thing I'll alter in a second character. For example, my first character in Mass Effect ended up being a fairly typical paragon male soldier who mostly just shat generic good-will-to-all. Second playthrough was a renegade female sniper. They both became their own entities over the course of three games, and I regard them both fondly: despite having the same name, they are not only distinct from me, but also two completely different characters from each other in my mind.

BurningWyvern90

May 21, 2013
I generally do one of each for each game, just so I cover all the bases. I dunno, just whatever I'm in the mood for at the time I guess. ;P

Except Fallout; right now for both 3 and NV I only have a male character, but only because I have a very specific character in mind.

Oh, I'm a girl, by the way.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Male as male. Don't really know, I have nothing against playing as a female. If I have the choice however I usually go a male.

BodomBeachChild

Nov 12, 2009
I have two EVE toons that are female that I use for trading but that is about it. My mian looks like me, and in RPGS or games with custom characters I always play as a male. Just habit. In MMOs playing as a woman can get creepy real fast. YOu can get a bunch of free shit though. A guy in my former corp types very polite, almost girlish, so guys always ask him if he's a chick. I told him roll with it and bam, free ships.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Eh I'm the type of person that wants to be part of the story so I'd have a slightly harder time relating to the protagonist if they were of the opposite gender. When it's an MMO, that character represents you so I definitely wouldn't like the other gender to represent me personally. That's just me though.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
I have a dick and some balls and I like people to know it.

If I have to play as a female character though I don't mind.

lauraahhh

Sep 30, 2013
Female playing as female. For the first playthrough, at least. It's nice to connect to, relate to, and play as a character that represents you every now and again. If I'm in for a second (or third or...you know) playthrough, I'll usually go male. Kinda fun to see it from both sides.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'm a man who always goes with male. Prefer making characters that resemble me, but it's not exactly often you get the option for waist long hair in games as a male...
Through all my years of MMO playing I've only played as a female once. Did it because my sister wanted to play togeather as elves and the male ones in LOTRO as even more femenine than the women.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I play most games multiple times. So when there's a choice and it matters I choose male first, then female.

In case you're wondering examples of games where there is a choice of gender that doesn't matter are Pokémon and Halo multiplayer. In those games I just play as a male.

I'm a male by the way.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Where's the Both and Neither option?

As I don't really identify as a guy or a gal. I just do whatever feels comfortable, feminine or masculine, and try not to put a label on it.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Depends on the game actually.

I am playing Tales of Xillia now and I had to pick a character to play as for the first playthrough (the two characters have some differences in story and they have different combat styles) and I picked Milla Maxwell (I intend to play the guy on my second playthrough) because I bought the special edition called Milla Maxwell Edition so it was kinda a flip of the coin thing when I picked.

In games where there's no difference in terms of skill and story I usually just pick default male #2.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
So men like playing as women, but women don't like playing as men. Huh. Interesting.

Anyway, I'm male, and I always play male characters. I usually say I'll do a female playthrough, but then I never get around to it... the only game where I actually got around to doing that was Dragon Age: Origins.

Libra

Feb 4, 2012
Guy here, prefer playing as girls. Mostly because we could use some more girl power, and also because I tend to prefer magic users or nible units like archers, who tend to be female more often than bulky warriors

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Male playing as male.

Generally male is the default in a character creator, and I'm too lazy to bother changing it and it wouldn't matter even if I did.

When it's a choice between two specifically designed characters, I choose whichever I think looks better. For example, I picked Rosa in Pokémon Black/White 2 because I think Nate looks like shit.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
In single player I tend to make one of each, and see which one I enjoy more.

In MP/co-op with my friends, I tend to aim for a character model which is distinct. Sometimes that means the weird alien, or the guy who just doesnt fit in. But because character design is often lazy and the male skins are the same guy with a different texture set, it usually means the female choice.