Poll: When Gender Is A Choice, Which Do You Choose?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Maxtro said:
Most of the time my first character in a game is a male unless I know that female characters have revealing outfits, then I will make a female.
You know, I really appreciate your honest in that matter. I won't deny the fact that that's part of the reason I prefer to play as females as well. But in all honest, it really is because I really enjoy the thought of a female hero...the fact that the fate of the world (as is usually the case in games) rides on the shoulders of a powerful woman is appealing to me. Nothing wrong with it if they happened to look attractive while saving the world though. :3

The one exception is Mass Effect where I played a FemShep because Jennifer Hale did such an amazing job and I felt it was miles better than ManShep.
And again I agree with you here in the sense that I thought that Jennifer did a fantastic job as FemShep. If you ask me there's more emotion in her portrayal of Shepard than the guy who did MaleShep. I just find her a lot more "believable" as Shepard than MaleShep.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Depends on the game. I chose the female option in M&B because it was more "challenging" and female in Mass Effect because Jennifer Hale doesn't sound like a robot. While I do like to think of my different RP characters as virtual personas, they're still fictional entities.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
I can't vote because I alternate. Call me a misogynist, but when I play a male character I tend to pick the goofiest options available, but with a woman I tend to leave the options default or pretty.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Male/Male. Pretty much all the time. When I used to play MMOs I'd generally make my healer alts female. And I usually plan on doing playthroughs of RPGs as women, but never get around to it. Never even played as Femshep.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
When it's a case of gender choice, your character is usually supposed to be a representation of yourself or at least, someone you're putting your own shoes in, usually. Because of that, I pick a male. If it's a case of actual characters though, as in ones that have back stories and personalities, then I have no preference for any gender, just the character that's the most interesting to me.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
If the gender is little more than an incidental detail, I suppose I gravitate more towards female than male for my characters. If subsequent media shows a canon portrayal, then I tend to try to fit the canon as best I can (Case in point: My first playthrough of KoTOR used a female protagonist. The revelation of that character's true gender by the time of TOR made me go back and do a 'canon run' with the male variation). Romance options can also sway me. I started off Mass Effect using FemShep as my main, then went back and switched to MaleShep after I learned about the love interests available in Mass Effect 2. Similarly, Dragon Age had me use a Male Warden because I felt that it made a more interesting subplot with Morrigan, whereas I went with a Female Hawke in Dragon Age 2 because I felt it played off of my Warden nicely and the romance and subplots were such that I felt nothing really pulling me to Male Hawke. Still, female does seem to be my effective default.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
For a first play through I almost always choose male. I want to play through the world as my own person, or as my equivalent within the game's world. When I start getting involved in more serious role playing as characters other than myself, then it depends on who I'm trying to role play as. Normally, though, I almost always have a female character going once I get past my first play through.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Female 90% of the time. Occasionally I'll get a whim to play a male character, especially if it suits my concept, but most of the time I'll lean female. No real reason. If you require a reason, feel free to pick one from the list below that best suits your own suspicions.

1. I prefer the female aesthetic
2. If I have to look at a butt it might as well be a girl butt hurr hurr hurr
3. I like to trick lonely men into giving me treasure in MMOs
4. I have severe gender dysphoria and I can only express it through computer games
5. I'm a guy in real life and this is supposed to be escapism
6. I do it to impress women because I'm a White Knight hurr hurr hurr
7. Female characters universally voiced by Jennifer Hale

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
With Bioware games, I tend to do at least one playthrough as male and female, the first being a combat-oriented male and the second being a stealth or magic oriented female. Don't know why; that's just how I roll.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
Male here. I usually play as a male the first time and then create a female later. On FFXIV though, the male models look flamboyant as hell so I play as a human female as they're the only one that look halfway decent.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Male playing female. Yes, I'll be honest and admit it's because if I'm going to be looking at a character for an extended period of time, I'd like it to be something I'm attracted to. From there it becomes a bit of a habit. I just never really project myself into a character.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
I'm a guy who always chooses a guy, except in Mount and Blade: Warband. Never played as a male in that game, always female.

I like being the character who gets dumped on all the time but then turns around and pushes peoples shit in, and since it's a medieval society in Mount and Blade, that's what a tough lady does.

So if any other game makes society like that, I'll play a female there too, no question. But mostly I like to make myself, and since I'm a guy, seems pretty simple.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Female playing as female most of the time. (Although in Saints Row 2-4 character my Boss is a silver skinned face tattooed, blue haired hermaphrodite alien)

For Bioware games the first is a rogue female and a blind play-through picking the options I like to think I would choose. Then a warrior jerk male. then a super good magic user who's gender depends on what I liked most from the previous plays, and if I have the will for a 4th or more plays it's based on whatever story I want to see.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Zero preference but similar to Easton Dark
Easton Dark said:
except in Mount and Blade: Warband. Never played as a male in that game, always female.

I like being the character who gets dumped on all the time but then turns around and pushes peoples shit in, and since it's a medieval society in Mount and Blade, that's what a tough lady does.

So if any other game makes society like that, I'll play a female there too, no question. But mostly I like to make myself, and since I'm a guy, seems pretty simple.
I will always do a playthrough as a downtrodden character rising above it all.

On the flip side I will also try and play a character who would be the most stereotypically suited to that role and situation.

If gender happens to be a deciding factor in that I'll play whatever gender works in that way.

If gender isn't a deciding factor I'll flip a coin.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
I usually do a male character for my original run because of roleplaying reasons and then when i do a replay i'll usually go for a female one. For Dragon Age i did each gender alternately until i had played all the origin stories, and in Mass Effect i'm only on my second playthrough. One male paragon, the other a female renegade.

Both are soldiers though, i can't say i'm too fond of the idea of biotic class because it seems like you'd have to break flow a lot in order to fiddle around with your power selections. Or am i wrong about that? Was wondering about playing vanguard for my next playthrough...

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
I tend to prefer playing female characters. I sometimes play a male character on a second playthrough, or if I dislike the design of the females.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Oh, forgot the one exception. In MMOs I will only play males as I sometimes roleplay in those games and I despise males who try to pretend to be women outside of the game.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Male that likes to play as female character's, simply for obvious shallow reason's, but also because I find female characters easier to sympathies with (white knight comlpex?).

Also it adds some variety to the usual staple of brunette/bald white guys.

I don't really 'roleplay' so I wouldn't say I'm motivated to play as a faux simile to myself, if its something like Saints Row however then I'll give it a go.
More character creators need to have the option to change stuff down the line, even if it's just haircuts.