Poll: When your hopes and dreams hit the fan...

tanithwolf

For The Epic Tanith Wolf
Mar 26, 2009
JimmehC said:
Ok so I am doing my AS level exams this week and well I haven't written down anything all year... and I need a backup plan for when it all goes wrong! Suggestions? Or is it not too late to become a phenomenal success and get straight A's. Anyone else out there fearing utter complete failure at AS or is it just me?
I'm in the same boat for my exams. My suggestion is to just go for it. Pass or fail at leat you tried rather then run away from it.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
Drink the old world away.

Most times wish I could, but I don't ever want to forget my children, even if I don't know them anymore.

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
IamSARAhearMYgrr said:
That's kind of your own fault buddy... Wish I could help but knowing your situation I probably wouldn't anyways. Learn this lesson and better luck next time: or sacrifice your conscience and pride and cheat... your choice!
Ssssssshhhhhhhhh Its not my fault don't say that! I am letting so many people down. Arg slow ice burn there :D It isn't as bad as I make out though, just sleepy from being over-worked.

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
errorfied said:
Revise your ass off. I thought I was going to screw up my AS exams, but I sat down and revised my arse off and did very well. I did the same for my A levels, and now I'm at the university of my choice, doing the subject I love. Your poll reeks of you having given up. Don't be foolish. Even if you do badly, blaming it on the fact you didn't try doesn't make it any better; you're setting yourself up for defeat.
I would Mr but my first exam is Tuesday and one of my teachers wants an essay from me still not even Coursework, she just wants a timed essay for the sake of it I hate revising that way, might try negotiating.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
If it is that important than just take it as many times as it takes until you do well enough. I had to devout a year to studying for the SAT but I did get scores that I think will be good enough, it was 1990 out of 2400.

IamSARAhearMYgrr

Apr 24, 2009
JimmehC said:
IamSARAhearMYgrr said:
That's kind of your own fault buddy... Wish I could help but knowing your situation I probably wouldn't anyways. Learn this lesson and better luck next time: or sacrifice your conscience and pride and cheat... your choice!
Ssssssshhhhhhhhh Its not my fault don't say that! I am letting so many people down. Arg slow ice burn there :D It isn't as bad as I make out though, just sleepy from being over-worked.
Well maybe you should have thought about the people your letting down before you didn't do ANYTHING? Sorry hun, but unless you have a friend that has all the notes I think you're screwed! (really not trying to be mean or anything!)

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
Chipperz said:
OK, I'm gonna take the hugely irresponsible option;

Do your best in the exams, seriously, do it (I did bugger all revision and ended up with a B and 2 C's 6 years ago. If the papers are to be believed, it's even easier now!). Then if you fail, step back, re-evaluate where your life is going and take a year out.

I'll come clean and say I did bugger all revision for my GCSEs, AS's, A Levels AND a year of Uni. Now I'm a trainee games designer, so miracles CAN happen :)
Lucky you, gz mate, "Getting easier"? Can you really say that... Sounds impossible back in the day :D

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
IamSARAhearMYgrr said:
JimmehC said:
IamSARAhearMYgrr said:
Ye I got the mates with the notes, but I got pretty awesome textbooks and I am a dullard who enjoys reading it straight from the horse's mouth, anyway the books are written by the examiners *ahem* CORRUPTION*!

IamSARAhearMYgrr

Apr 24, 2009
wow yeah talk about corrupt! That's pretty messed up, they could write anything they wanted to in there and you would have to agree or fail. Talk about lame! But good luck to you all the same!

errorfied

May 11, 2008
JimmehC said:
errorfied said:
Revise your ass off. I thought I was going to screw up my AS exams, but I sat down and revised my arse off and did very well. I did the same for my A levels, and now I'm at the university of my choice, doing the subject I love. Your poll reeks of you having given up. Don't be foolish. Even if you do badly, blaming it on the fact you didn't try doesn't make it any better; you're setting yourself up for defeat.
I would Mr but my first exam is Tuesday and one of my teachers wants an essay from me still not even Coursework, she just wants a timed essay for the sake of it I hate revising that way, might try negotiating.
You're full of excuses. The exams are 2 hours, at the most. Any exam which is only 2 hours long can't test you on more material than you can learn in 24 hours. It's currently Wednesday. Just pull your finger out and work your ass off for 2 weeks. It won't be fun, and you'll probably piss off everybody around you, but it has to be done. You shouldn't even be on here right now. Go out and buy CGP revision books on every subject you're taking and just devote every moment of your life to revision. Even this timed essay you have for Tuesday is probably only going to take you 90 minutes at the most.

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
Iggy Rufflebar said:
JimmehC said:
I get to retry tho and I am more confident... although it costs like 15 quid!

My school offered to give the money back if you get higher grades, have a look into whether or not your school does the same.
We got funding like that however it is means tested (your parents have to earn under £25,000 and my parents earn like £25,001 :p nvm cost is nothing really :D

JimmehC

Apr 16, 2009
errorfied said:
JimmehC said:
errorfied said:
You're full of excuses. The exams are 2 hours, at the most. Any exam which is only 2 hours long can't test you on more material than you can learn in 24 hours. It's currently Wednesday. Just pull your finger out and work your ass off for 2 weeks. It won't be fun, and you'll probably piss off everybody around you, but it has to be done. You shouldn't even be on here right now. Go out and buy CGP revision books on every subject you're taking and just devote every moment of your life to revision. Even this timed essay you have for Tuesday is probably only going to take you 90 minutes at the most.
More excuses... My tests are close to a hour hehe cheers for the kick in the a$$ you are right sir.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
I say to try your best. If you fail you can always move into the mountains and become a mountain man.
You should also change your name to fuck so you can say this:

"I am Fuck, Fuck of the Mountain!"

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
JimmehC said:
Chipperz said:
OK, I'm gonna take the hugely irresponsible option;

Do your best in the exams, seriously, do it (I did bugger all revision and ended up with a B and 2 C's 6 years ago. If the papers are to be believed, it's even easier now!). Then if you fail, step back, re-evaluate where your life is going and take a year out.

I'll come clean and say I did bugger all revision for my GCSEs, AS's, A Levels AND a year of Uni. Now I'm a trainee games designer, so miracles CAN happen :)
Lucky you, gz mate, "Getting easier"? Can you really say that... Sounds impossible back in the day :D
Hey, I'm just going on what the paper headlines say every year, completely trashing the accomplishments of yet another year's worth of children who worked their arses off to get a decent grade...

OK, quick exam tips that got me through...

- Actually do some revision for your favourite subject. Nothing hard, just read the books through a few times. DON'T get people to test you. They don't know what they're talking about and if you fuck up you'll get demoralised.
- Think back to see if your tutors have said the same basic sentiments across the year. I passed an English Lit exam without reading any of the books, just by writing, word for word, what our English teacher had said to us about the book.
- Don't panic! The only exams I actually failed were the ones that I went in thinking I knew nothing. You must have learnt SOMETHING in a year. Focus on that when you go in.
- If you don't know the answer, take what you do know and apply it with "creative logic". This has saved my arse several times, especially when combined with the next two tips.
- Show your working. It's not just for maths any more. If an examiner can follow your train of logic back to the question, you might get a few bonus points just for effort.
- In a standard two hour exam, you'll have two questions. Spend 15 minutes just looking at the question and making notes at the top of your answer sheet. Take this time to plan a decent essay of 3-4 paragraphs. When the hour's up, move straight on to the next question. The examiner should give you marks if he can see where you would have gone if you'd had more time.

Lastly, and so important I'm gonna put it on it's own...

- KEEP READING THE QUESTION. Exams have been failed because someone (who may or may not have been me) misread the question and went off on a huge tangent. Keep reading it back to yourself.

I hope this helps as much as it helped me. In a few years when you see something on a gaming forum along these lines, pass them on, as they were passed to me.