Poll: Where do you prefer to buy your games? And why?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
So yeah, simple question.

Where do my fellow Escapists like to buy their games? And if you like, please give your reasons.

As for myself, I vastly prefer small, independent specialty stores. There's a lot of places I go to for games, but if given a choice, I'd go mom 'n pop store.

- I'm pretty into retro stuff, which pretty much forces me into buying secondhand. Most major chains & larger specialty game stores don't sell secondhand and if they do, their selection is mostly poor, prices are equally poor and they usually don't go further back than 6th gen. The whole secondhand thing also means digital distribution is out, since it is almost nonexistent there. There aren't really any pawn shops or charity shops to go to either. I could go online onto ebay and such, and I do, but not often for the next reason.

- I like some uncertainty when walking into a store. Not really knowing what I'm going to find. I love perusing the racks, rifling through stacks of games and stumbling across that one game I've been looking for. Or sometimes I do an unexpected discovery and at a cheap price too. And that feels great. Sure, not finding anything can be a bummer, but that thrill of discovery is something I don't really get from buying online.

- As much as I acknowledge and like the benefits of digital distribution, I still prefer a physical product, even if it's just a box with a download code inside. Really, it's the cases I care most about. I like looking at all those cases neatly ordered onto the cupboard. I still have the few big-ass pc games boxes from before the dvd-case era I was so wise to keep. Awesome box-art deserves to be seen, dammit!

- The people working at the kind of specialty mom 'n pop store I like to frequent are generally very knowledgeable and willing to talk. None of the them are close to my home, so I feel like I got more out of the trip if I also had a nice chat to go along with my purchases.

PS: I suck at making polls, so any feedback is welcome.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I generally go to Best Buy. Call it loyalty, but I've traditionally had better experiences there, and I prefer physical copies over digital. Granted, I'm starting to go away from it more and more as all the Best Buys I go to are getting worse and worse game selections on Nintendo and PC games. However, if I'm going with an Xbox or Playstation game, I'm certainly going to Best Buy, as they still are keeping those games in good stock.

Otherwise, I'll probably go to Gamestop or find a local store. I've never had the bad experiences from Gamestop that people claim to get from them, and the only semi-bad one I had was entirely understandable given the circumstances. As a result, I still go there to see, but their selections are still about as lopsided as Best Buy's selection is. Local stores are also easy to support provided they actually know how to run a business.

I only go digital distribution if it is significantly cheaper and/or if a physical copy is hard to find.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I go where I get the best deal, I don't have a particular preference, be it physical store or online distribution.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I'll go to where I can find new physical copies for the lowest price, which usually means Amazon, although I've found a few good deals at Gamestop/Best Buy, but generally Amazon's price drops faster. My last experience with Gamestop makes me never want to buy from them again, but then, I haven't found any killer deals with them since then either (I bought a PS3 and 2 new games, which I was then asked repeatedly by the cashier if I'd want the used versions for $2 off - fucking know your customers... if someone comes in and knows exactly what they want and specifies new, shut up and get it before I go to Best Buy).

I've also occasionally had good experience with new copies on ebay, I got MK9 new for $30 when they were still going for $50-60. I also tend to use ebay for anything not in print anymore, as independent retailers rarely have the rarity I'm looking for and they check prices so they are rarely cheaper than ebay.

For PC games, steam 95% of the time, with the rest being GOG or retail boxes (I'm a sucker for Starcraft/Diablo - helps that their prices stay high for a long time).

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
I go to Gamestop for my games that aren't eshop or PSN only, mainly because its a minute away from me, the service is consistently great, the atmosphere is friendly, and its right next to places I go to eat.

gamernerdtg2

Jan 2, 2013
I have been known to frequent Gamestop and look through the pre owned sections...but there are stores in the city that offer games for a few dollars less, so I will go there.

I got Dragon's Dogma online because the price was right. I prefer going in to actually look though...just like I miss CD and record stores where you could browse and discover on your own. Sometimes you meet people who are more knowledgeable than you.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Independent, physical retailers and GoG.com, mainly.
It's cheaper and it's DRM-free.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Often either digital distribution (usually Steam), or, quite often, second-hand shops like CEX.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Digital distribution (steam or GOG mainly) because it usually cheaper, I know when a sale is on, they have games that don't appear in the stores and I don't have to get it shipped to me. I'm not initially ok with not having an actual disk for security's sake but given how cheaply I buy most of the games it's a fair enough trade off.

Sep 14, 2009
i go to where it is cheaper almost always

thus

it is usually digital distribution (steam/GoG/green man gaming/etc...) or amazon/newegg/etc...

there has been MAYBE one time that it is ever cheaper locally, and yes i do check prices alot of times.

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
Digital distribution. Because it's easier to buy this way, and usually cheaper as well.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
If it's a PC game, I'll usually go through Steam. If it's a console game, I'll go to a specialty retailer like GameStop if one is available. If not, I'll go to a major retailer like Best Buy or Toys R Us.

EDIT: Oops. I forgot the why. My choices are based on convenience. I prefer downloading PC games since it's just easier for me to deal since I can purchase and play it from the comfort of my computer desk. I don't give the same treatment to my consoles since I do not hook them up to an internet connection. Also, I feel more comfortable when I have a physical box and CD for my console games. The store I buy them from depends on which is more likely to have it available and which is easier for me to get to.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I usually get my games from Gamestop because major retailers have only a tiny selection of only the most recent releases and it's not like there are any other choices for games stores around where I live.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Amazon does it right by me. They tend to have cheaper games that's been out for few months. Also, they have free day 1 shipping for pre-orders.

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I typically get my games from Steam.

Because the ridiculous steam sales are the only time I can afford to buy games...

Though, for console games (I rarely get these) I typically go to either Game or Blockbuster (I got GTA V from Blockbuster the day it came out, no waiting in lines all morning, just walked in that afternoon when coming home from college and picked it up with the strategy guide)

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Steam and GOG.com usually give me the best deals. If anyone knows of any other similar sites with good sales, do drop me a line, because I hardly ever bother with GAME (UK game shop) establishments now - there are almost no games released nowadays that I'd consider buying at full price.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Bought most of my huge PS3 library from an online store in the UK since their prices are waaaay below those in Sweden. Free shipping too so it was both a blessing and a curse... Got at least 110 games from there.

The past year I've bought my games through Steam or bundles though. Gotta say I prefer that because I don't have to wait two weeks to a month for my game and since it's even cheaper. Gotten 120 games through bundles and Steam this year and I can't have spent more than £200 on it(bought a few more expensive ones I really wanted). Used to be very anti digital distribution because the price was usually the same as in a store and I prefered a physical copy, but fuck me it's awesome.
Well, until Steam dies or I get banned for whatever reason.

Barbas said:
Steam and GOG.com usually give me the best deals. If anyone knows of any other similar sites with good sales, do drop me a line, because I hardly ever bother with GAME (UK game shop) establishments now - there are almost no games released nowadays that I'd consider buying at full price.
http://www.indiekings.com/p/bundle-tracker.html is a great site I use to find cheap and awesome bundles. They often link to GOG. Might be of some use to you unless you already know of it. There's also a group on Steam called Indie Bundle Tracker that's really great at finding and posting new deals.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
For console games, it's about 75% EBGames, 20% Amazon/eBay and 5% PSN.
For PC games, it's GOG, Steam and directly thorugh indie devs' websites.
For 3DS/Vita games, it's almost only through eShop and PSN.