Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Blargh McBlargh said:
connall said:
[snip] The thing with it is, it's not really one to be affected by console generations [...] [snip]
We are, actually. Because consoles are where the money is, many developers prefer to make games for 360/PS3 instead and then porting it to PC. Thing is, the consoles are almost 7-8 year old hardware, so the best we usually get are shitty ports with an upscaled 720p, making the games look absolutely atrocious due to blurry textures and what not. :(

I honestly wish they'd just develop for PC first and then 'dumb it down' for consoles. That way everyone would get the highest quality they can manage.
Well developing for the PC first would probably cost more money than to just scale it, the cheap bastards.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
Hmm, well personally I think I played the Wii more out of any of this gen.
It had some very large/fun releases like SSB Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy (2), DK Returns, Kirby's Adventure and Metroid Prime, but had pretty much no third party support and a lot of games suffered the "Ok, we MUST add something motion controlled!" thing devs had going.

The P3S got it's fair share of use from me too, Little Big Planet, Dragons Dogma, Batman AA and Dark/Demon Souls are games that buying a PS3 was worth it for (Let not forget Portal 2 and Skyrim... but those are better on PC anyway).
The controller was solid, and the whole 'corded and wireless in one' design was extremely nice.

The 360 has XBLA going for it, the Wii and PS3 don't have the online component down quite as well as the 360.
None of it's games really struck me as 'must have' that weren't on PC or PS3 anyway and it was the most prone to breaking (though not too much more then the PS3).
I guess you can disregard my opinion here if you wish, as I don't actually own a 360.

Who won the generation though? the DS.
There are more great quality DS games then there are quality Wii/PS3/360 games combined and though most devs felt like they 'had' to make use of the touchscreen it was usually only in good ways, like easier menu navigation and such.
Not to mention it sold a whopping 150 million units; the Wii, PS3 and 360 only managed 100m, 70m and 60m respectively.
These figures don't include 3DS sales btw, I consider the 3DS a completely seperate console.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
If you mean won as in most sold consoles, and made the most money? The Wii.

Aside from monetary value, everything else simply comes down to personal opinion and preference.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
PS3.
It has better interface(in my opinion), a damn lot better and more exclusives, blu-ray player/discs and free online play. The only thing I prefer with my 360 is the controller. Have hardly touched the 360 since I got my PS3 over three years ago.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
I guess that PS3 wins by the gaming library but when taking into account the profit it made for the company, Wii is the winner.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I think they've been even and happy to be even for the past few years. Each system has it's own pro's and cons but they're even enough and happy to stay that way

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
PS3 for me. It have many exclusive games that i actually want to play, i really like interface, blu-ray player.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
The Wii obviously wins because almost everyone i know with a 360 (including myself) have had multiple broken systems. The PS3 breaks just as frequently but a lot of the multiple platform games don't work properly.

1st Wii
2nd 360
3rd PS3

Really though this generation has been little more than innovation of graphics and a massive drop in game difficulty and length.

Vhite

Aug 17, 2009
I own none of them but I I had to buy one It would PS3.
For such a terrible start, the library of games has grown nicely.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The Nintendo DS. It has the best exclusives with the least gimmicky new controls when compared to the big boys doing motion controls. The Xbox360 and PS3 were really interchangeable when you get right down to it. The big choice you have to make is Nathan Drake vs Master Chief. PS3 did have a few more exclusives but the BIG exclusives it was supposed to have ended up going multiplatform like Final Fantasy XIII. The Wii had the best exclusives out of the big three in my opinion and even though the later games eschewed motion controls for the most part (except for Skyward Sword). I ended up choosing the DS because even though the Wii has a great virtual console, the DS had somewhat upgraded versions of classics instead of outright repackaging classics such as Chrono Trigger, Contra and, several Castlevania titles that didn't have anything to do with Shadow Lords.

edit: I forgot the most important factor! The DS is extremely affordable at the moment and has been very affordable for a few years now. Honestly now, how many of you haven't owned a DS at one point in the past few years, eh?

Here's a breakdown of the main reason I chose the DS since after all, it's the games that sell a console and thus: make it great! [sub]These are personal opinions based on games I've played by the way[/sub]

Alien: Infestation
Barnyard Blast
Elite Beat...something (can't remember the name...agents?)
Dragon Quest VI
Dragon Quest IX
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Pokemon Black/White
Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold

Animal Crossing: City Folks
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Last Story, the
Mad World
Mario Kart Wii
Red Steel 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Xenoblade Chronicals

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Left 4 Dead
Mass Effect
Viva Pinata

Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia
Final Fantasy Type-Zero (import)
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva (import)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Infamous

Arkham Asylum/City, Devil May Cry, Guitar Hero (insert number), Little Big Planet, Mass Effect 2 & 3, Modern Warfare, New Super Mario Bros...these are games that you can get on multiple consoles thus, it wouldn't really sell you a specific one although I do admit most people bought LBP on the PS3 as opposed to the PSP. I almost put up NSMB-Wii but the main difference between it and the portable version is slight control variance and, specific level layouts...and I just realized God of War is on the PSP as well so away that one goes from the PS3 spoiler bit...

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
IMO the xbox won. I just prefer the whole experience over when I had my ps3. Also, because of deals in the 3 years i've had my xbox live has cost me about 20 quid. It's not exactly a deal breaker. None of either console's exclusives really interested me except I watched a bit of footage of heavy rain.

It sounds stupid, but I also prefer achievements on the xbox. It gives me something to aim for and I enjoy the little bleep when i get one. Essentially i've become conditioned, like a dog or a goldfish.

Athinira

Jan 25, 2010
Wii gets my vote.

Not because it's the best console (i think it's a piece of crap), but because it was the console with the most payoff. People can have their personal favorites all they want, but Nintendo is the company that made the most money (both off the console and from what I've read, also the games). Nintendo has sold 93 million Wii's, while Microsoft and Sony respectively have only sold 67 and 63 million 360's/PS3's each, and both the hardware AND the games were cheaper to make because you didn't have to put all those money on expensive graphics.

So in short, the Wii (and by extension, Nintendo) won this generation.

"In the kingdom of the blind, the quadroupled bollocks man is king."
- Yathzee

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Unless you're talking about who won in terms of sales and overall impact, this thread is just a "What was your favourite console" thread.

So yeah, seeing as the Wii got so many new gamers into the industry and sold more consoles than anyone else it wins.

Skrag The Summoner

Apr 20, 2011
I have to say that my preferred console was the Xbox (and i own many different consoles, hell i think i still have a nintendo 64 plugged in around here somewhere) but nowadays, not to be vulgar, a comparison of any of these consoles to a PC is laughable and the people who defend them are just silly

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
People always complain about the lack of decent 1st party exclusives on Xbox. They're right, but they always forget Forza. That annoys me. It's not just Halo and Gears. Forza is brilliant.

As for who "won", I don't really know. Each console did well in some areas and bad in others. I don't think there's any clear winner, unless you're just talking about sales. But either way it doesn't matter to me. I'm not supporting any console like a sports team. I just want good games. I don't care what platform it's on.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
PS3 wins by virtue of having solid games to play. Its list of exclusives blow the Xbox out the water, who only have Gears and Halo really. The Wii was alright, but you didnt get much outside of first party titles.

Also, fuck having to pay for XBL gold.

INB4 PC wins all(it doesnt)
Well, PC is neither a console, nor does it belong to any generation in the sense that consoles do.

OT: I'd say that the Xbox 360 won in terms of sales and popularity among the various groups. It's weaker than the PS3, but it had advantage with customers because of the price, the online service is OK, with the drawback that it costs money to use it. It had some decent games, a good controller.

I wouldn't go as far to call any console better because there's more than one aspect to consider there, but the PS3 was the best in terms of hardware, though it was a little lacking when it comes to RAM. Which console got the best games is subjective since not everyone loves Super Mario, Uncharted or Gears of War. Success, profits and popularity are the things that I use to declare the 360 as the winner.

As for my favourite console, I can't decide.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
I voted 360. Best exclusives, only broke on me twice and has never let me down. Its trundled along nicely for me and me and my friends had a blast this Gen and will still have fun with Halo 4, Borderlands 2 and Dead Space 3.
Also voting wise the 360 is winning right now.