Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
For me -
PS3-
+ Free internet service
- Poorly designed controllers
- Exclusive games dont interest me
+ Blu-ray discs
- No backwards compatibility (later consoles)

Xbox 360-
+ Well designed controller
+ Best line up of exclusive games
- Premium online service
- Too focused on Kinect and everything that isnt games
+ Xbox LIVE party system
- DVDs used for games
+ Backwards compatibility
- Prone to breaking

Wii
+ Most innovative
- Motion controls
- Nintendo exclusives
- Enjoyment burnt out quickly
- Difficult to play online
- SD quality
+ BAckwards compatibility

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I can't really put a tuppence in for who won... but the 360 definitely gets 'Most Improved'! After starting a lot later as a company it has managed to branch out to new regions, with new genres (vs original xbox generation) and a new fan base... I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that at one point there were more 360's being sold in Japan than PS3's!

Fair play to the Yanks for that!

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
PS3 had better exclusives but was undercut in price so the masses who buy into multiplatform yearly release shovelware (the biggest moneymakers) went for the 360. Wii, however sold the most as in appealed to both consumers buying something "for the family" and the nostalgic Nintendo fans that are now older with more money. Casuals too I guess. Also it was cheap as hell.

PS3 won on quality, Wii on commercial success, 360 sat in the middle.

PC is still the better platform. Deal with it.

Floppertje said:
Intel won. they make the chips for all 3.
Nope. IBM did. Although Sony, SCE and Toshiba helped with the Cell.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
Consoles? I don't know but PC is still the king compared to consoles.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Best generation? really? I've been gaming for a long time and I have to say I feel like this has possibly been the worst generation in a long time. Especially for memorable, re-playable games.

In the past I have always bought a slim version of a console, or a limited edition, or kept an original (from way back to pre-NES days) just so I can eventually relive the memories. I'll probably keep my Wii and Xbox 360 (I have a lot of DLC that I can't resell) and there's still a chance I might buy a super slim PS3 (if they release them). But the big leaps forward this generation were online gaming; which has been at times great, but mainly a look at the abusive, cheating, ugly side of gaming. Motion controls. Which have been 10% hit, 90% miss. And 3D. Headache. The last great console has been the Nintendo DS. The PS3 still has some life left in it but as it stands it still has some work to do (like maybe releasing The Last Guardian).

Now that I think about it there were some really great games this generation but I really had to think about it before they came to me. So a lot of really good games but not instant classics like previous generations. Bah... maybe I'm just old.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
PC > Wii > PS3 > DS > toenail clippings > 1980's PC > standing in freezing rain > XBox360

ffs people, everything everyone always bemoans about today's terrible state of gaming is 90% the XBox' fault and yet "everybody loves it" apparently. Jesus Christ.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
The obvious winner by some margin was the one you forgot to include in this poll. I am of course talking about the DS, since it was not only the most convenient system to use, but developers actually came up with good ideas of how to make use of it.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
Xbox.

1.Interface is easy to manage and displays everything perfectly.
2.Controller has set the standards for other controllers in terms of use and general comfort.
3.Xbox Live be paid for means that the service provided is better than the competition.
4.Party chat is great for cenversing with friends without having to be playing the same game.
5.The overall cost of the console was/is less than the PS3, so more people could/can afford it.

Not mention the games like the entire Halo series, Gears of War, along with tons of arcade games.

DLC almost always launches on Xbox first, with Dawnguard being a perfect example.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
For me it is the XBox 360.
I simply played more games on it than on my PS3.

The PS3 was there for some exclusives and the very rare case of it getting the ?superior? version of a multi-platform game. In the end I bought 15 games for the PS3.

The XBox 360 was my main choice of platform this console generation. It usually featured the ?superior? version of multi-platform games which in the end turned out to be the most games I played. It also featured some nice exclusives or time-exclusives I picked up.
Overall I bought 37 games for it.

I do not own a Wii but I recognise that the Wii sold more hardware units than the PS3 or Xbox 360. But I have no interest in the Wii so it matters little to me.

Nowadays I try to avoid the consoles and pick if possible the PC version simply for it's superior visual qualities and lower prices.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
CleverNickname said:
PC > Wii > PS3 > DS > toenail clippings > 1980's PC > standing in freezing rain > XBox360

ffs people, everything everyone always bemoans about today's terrible state of gaming is 90% the XBox' fault and yet "everybody loves it" apparently. Jesus Christ.
Ok how the f*ck is a Wii above a DS? Also what has Xbox done to offend you, cut of your dogs head and sold it back for 800 MSP?

Captcha "Not yet" jesus captcha your scaring me

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
INB4 PC wins all(it doesnt)
It totally does, maaaaan. Join the daaaaark siiiiide... we have pretty things!

OT: I was under the impression that Wii sold the most consoles, Xbox sold the most games, and PS3 had the most solid lineup. Sounds like a three way win to me.

Sadly, I have none of them, so I cannot compare. So I'll take the fact that people have finally stopped saying "PC gaming is dying", and declare PCs the winner because of that.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
lemby117 said:
CleverNickname said:

Ok how the f*ck is a Wii above a DS? Also what has Xbox done to offend you, cut of your dogs head and sold it back for 800 MSP?
The Wii is amazing, the DS is only a hand-held, and the XBox is solely responsible for awful console shooters?

... I'd actually rank the XBox higher if it killed a couple of dogs each year. Hate dogs. Almost as much as I hate the XBox. Xboxes. First one started it.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Coming from someone with both a PS3 and 360, I'd say 360. The 360 had a rough start with rampant RRODs and such, but since then, it's gained a lot of great exclusives and the best online even if you do have to pay for it.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
No one the Wii and 360 had huge early success while the PS3 just floated around in the backround.Then the PS3 started regaining ground by slowly building a decent libary.Then we had the hacked sony online account problem.

Now the war has got kinda pointless and all sides have grinded into a stalemate.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Xbox has better exclusives and PS3 has Bluray.

I'd say Xbawks though, still.
Nothing that came close the the PS2 or the almighty PC =P

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
CleverNickname said:
lemby117 said:
CleverNickname said:

The Wii is amazing, the DS is only a hand-held, and the XBox is solely responsible for awful console shooters?

... I'd actually rank the XBox higher if it killed a couple of dogs each year. Hate dogs. Almost as much as I hate the XBox. Xboxes. First one started it.
There were awful shooters on PC before Xbox it is not just the Xbox's fault. If anybody is to blame for awful shooters it is the consumers who made COD into a billion dollar franchise.