Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
They all did, because at some point, with some game, each one of them made someone happy, and was worth the money spent.

They all won because they all did their job. The console wars are pointless, and have nothing to offer us aside from flames if we ask this question.

hutchy27

Jan 7, 2011
w9496 said:
Xbox.

1.Interface is easy to manage and displays everything perfectly.
2.Controller has set the standards for other controllers in terms of use and general comfort.
3.Xbox Live be paid for means that the service provided is better than the competition.
4.Party chat is great for cenversing with friends without having to be playing the same game.
5.The overall cost of the console was/is less than the PS3, so more people could/can afford it.

Not mention the games like the entire Halo series, Gears of War, along with tons of arcade games.

DLC almost always launches on Xbox first, with Dawnguard being a perfect example.
This is pretty much my opinion on the topic as well.

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
lemby117 said:
There were awful shooters on PC before Xbox it is not just the Xbox's fault. If anybody is to blame for awful shooters it is the consumers who made COD into a billion dollar franchise.
Yes. Exactly.

Jdorty

Apr 3, 2010
I'm not really sure how anyone can be a fan of PS3. They've been using the exact same controller since PS1, and its still worse than an N64 controller. It doesn't matter how good your games are, if I have to control the game with a breadbox, it isn't any good or worth it.

I enjoyed both the 360 and Wii for completely different experiences.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
There is no clear winner. The Wii got the most sales and was popular for new gamers and (I hate this word) "casuals". The 360 won by being the most popular but is starting to fizzle out while the PS3 has been going slow but steady and will last a lot longer.

However since all games are multiplatform now so I don't see how it matters, no matter what console you get (except maybe the Wii) will get you to the same end. It's not like you have to choose between Sonic and Mario anymore.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Game Gadget ofc I mean who the hell hasnt got one? except you ofc and you are alone in this case.

I dont think there was a winner this gen each did ok and crap in different areas you didnt see a domination like with PS2 or NES or even PSX things are different this gen hopefully things will remain about even next gen as well. If you include handhelds then the DS won by a mile but I dont so I didnt.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
IBM is the clear winner of this console generation.

360 has triple core PowerPC
PS3 has Cell processor
Wii has Broadway cpu

Big blue controls all the games in town.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
Overall I'd give it to the Xbox. Though the last few years have been close thanks to the PS3 finally getting some good games with lots of them being exclusives.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
The Wii had the most sales. It also defined the E3 this years and it defined the last 3 years of the generation with Microsoft and Sony competing with each other for their wii also controller.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Overall I say this generation has been the weakest one since Generation 1; so I don't really think there is a winner, just a whole bunch of losers.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
ToastiestZombie said:
Unless you're talking about who won in terms of sales and overall impact, this thread is just a "What was your favourite console" thread.

So yeah, seeing as the Wii got so many new gamers into the industry and sold more consoles than anyone else it wins.
That was going to be my answer. The Wii wins with sales but personally, I think all three were failures.
The 360 had that rrod issue and online you have to pay for.
The ps3 has decent hardware but Sony gave it nothing but crap firmware.
The wii sold a lot of units but not a lot of software.

Overusedname

Emcee: the videogame video guy
Jun 26, 2012
Speaking as someone who wasn't personally impressed with this generation as a whole...I guess the Wii for me (we're not talking about this objectively, but I guess the Wii won with sales and expanding the market anyway).

But I don't regard that as much of an accomplishment. PC is a close second determined solely by personal preference. I just like the Wii Games more.

I can appreciate the simplicity, but the 360 and PS3 truly are 'limited PC's' in a lot of ways. The Wii ruled in terms of high-quality exclusive games you couldn't play elsewhere. I acknowledge most people never gave half of the unique titles on Wii a chance (No More Heroes 1+2, Epic Mickey, Radiant Dawn, etc.), but I don't think that discredits them. Certainly didn't effect my enjoyment of them.

Also, never been a fan of online gaming on consoles. Much less sociable and less community driven. And I hate DRM and all the Installation crap involved in the the other 2 consoles, and then there is the RROD. Yes, I know it's a stale punchline but it really is pretty shameless how high the fail rate got.

I guess I just wanted a console that let me play several good games with no hassle or constant breakdown. Wii provided that for dirt-cheap. And besides Lost Odyssey, no other console exclusive came out this whole gen that interested me. Some of the PS2 exclusives looked fine, but nothing that made me really desperate to try. I was perfectly content with Steam and Nintendo for the whole duration.

It's odd. I was a 'Sony Kid' in the nineties. Now I look at them, wondering why they're still here when all other platforms have kicked them to the curb.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Marketing standpoint the Wii was the winner, while 360 won with more traditional gamers the west and the PS3 won with them in Japan.

Perhaps I'm wrong on the PS3's performance in Japan but that's the impression I had at least.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
connall said:
Blargh McBlargh said:
connall said:
[snip] The thing with it is, it's not really one to be affected by console generations [...] [snip]
We are, actually. Because consoles are where the money is, many developers prefer to make games for 360/PS3 instead and then porting it to PC. Thing is, the consoles are almost 7-8 year old hardware, so the best we usually get are shitty ports with an upscaled 720p, making the games look absolutely atrocious due to blurry textures and what not. :(

I honestly wish they'd just develop for PC first and then 'dumb it down' for consoles. That way everyone would get the highest quality they can manage.
Well developing for the PC first would probably cost more money than to just scale it, the cheap bastards.
Actually a lot of companies do in fact develop it for the PC and it is cheaper to port down to consoles than vice versa. We just don't see PC version ever released...god knows why. And the reason that developing for PC first and porting down to consoles is that it is much easier to knock things down, resolution, textures etc than to build up.

OT: I honestly want a vote for none of them, because at the end of the day they all have a couple of huge flaws and the "winner" for most people depends on which flaw they have an easier time ignoring.

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Rednog said:
connall said:
Blargh McBlargh said:
connall said:
[snip] The thing with it is, it's not really one to be affected by console generations [...] [snip]
We are, actually. Because consoles are where the money is, many developers prefer to make games for 360/PS3 instead and then porting it to PC. Thing is, the consoles are almost 7-8 year old hardware, so the best we usually get are shitty ports with an upscaled 720p, making the games look absolutely atrocious due to blurry textures and what not. :(

I honestly wish they'd just develop for PC first and then 'dumb it down' for consoles. That way everyone would get the highest quality they can manage.
Well developing for the PC first would probably cost more money than to just scale it, the cheap bastards.
Actually a lot of companies do in fact develop it for the PC and it is cheaper to port down to consoles than vice versa. We just don't see PC version ever released...god knows why. And the reason that developing for PC first and porting down to consoles is that it is much easier to knock things down, resolution, textures etc than to build up.

OT: I honestly want a vote for none of them, because at the end of the day they all have a couple of huge flaws and the "winner" for most people depends on which flaw they have an easier time ignoring.
Just strange.

Also on the second point about voting, he's right. You can't really vote because everybody is tinged by their bias. So really there is no way to actually judge who one. Even trying to look at it objectively, it all comes down to preference of the individual.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
As far as the console wars go, at best it would be a winner-by-decision. The only clear loser this generation is the game industry itself. As far as exclusives go, Zelda: Twilight Princess was also available on the CG. Gears of War and Halo? Please. . . I will replay Half-Life 2 for the 20th time rather than play those a second time. And the only PS3 exclusive that I really cared for was MGS 4, in fact, I mostly use my PS3 to play PSone classics, and HD remakes of Resident Evil 4 and Shadow of the Colossus.

So, yeah, This generation, while having some great games like Portal and Rayman Origins, is mostly just a wash of generic shooters with unoriginal plots, pumped out so that industry executives can have golden parachutes when their company goes under.

wookiee777

Mar 5, 2012
In terms of making money probably the Wii or the 360. Though, outside of money, I'm not so sure how you could declare an objective winner of this generation's war.

Personally I prefer the PlayStation 3 out of the whopping three consoles to choose from this gen.