Poll: Which console "won" this generation?

bioject

Aug 12, 2010
deathbyoatmeal said:
As this generation winds to a close, it comes time to look back on this past generation. Having been, in my opinion, the best generation thus far, which console really stood out? In my opinion the ps3 is easily the winner. The xbox beats it in user interface and online accessibility, and the wii wins in term of innovative design, but the ps3 wins where it counts the most, games. Uncharted, Infamous, Resistance, the ps3 started the most franchises this generation and all of them were huge successes and innovated in unique ways. In addition they continued great franchises like killzone and ratchet and clank and took them to new heights. Add to that great downloadable games like journey and pixeljunk, and the ps3 had the best lineup i've ever seen. What do you think?
I would say during the first half it was the Xbox 360 as the PS3 at the time was still difficult to program for and was expensive. For the last couple of years though, I would say the PS3 wins. The Xbox 360 is severely behind these days and most of the games I want to play on it also come out on PC. The Xbox is sort of like the ***** console now because all developers have changed their focus onto the PS3 and PC market since the Xbox can no longer push games graphically anymore. In addition my Xbox got the red ring of death and I refuse to buy another console. In fact I don't think I will ever buy another Xbox again as I imagine the next one will break too and I can just play the same games with an Xbox controller on PC.

As for the Wii, I used to think it was going to be amazing, but I personally think it failed. It never really had any interesting games and the core franchises all sucked this time. I hate both Zelda games, Mario was bleh, and Metroid is dead.

On a surprising note, I think the PC is right up there with the PS3. Virtually every console game now comes out on PC and developers are getting really good at optimizing them for PC so that they run smooth even on an older PC. My last PC lasted five years running all games on virtually max settings. With Steam and all the great deals it offers, I think the PC is now a viable option especially now that consoles are starting to cost a lot of money. I wouldn't be surprised if the next console costs over $600. For a $1000 you could easily build a really good PC.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
connall said:
Blargh McBlargh said:
connall said:
[snip] The thing with it is, it's not really one to be affected by console generations [...] [snip]
We are, actually. Because consoles are where the money is, many developers prefer to make games for 360/PS3 instead and then porting it to PC. Thing is, the consoles are almost 7-8 year old hardware, so the best we usually get are shitty ports with an upscaled 720p, making the games look absolutely atrocious due to blurry textures and what not. :(

I honestly wish they'd just develop for PC first and then 'dumb it down' for consoles. That way everyone would get the highest quality they can manage.
Well developing for the PC first would probably cost more money than to just scale it, the cheap bastards.
It's actually quite the opposite. You don't have to pay a licensing fee to develop on the PC, since it's an open platform. The only thing keeping devs from developing for PC is the massively over-sensationalized threat of piracy.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Probably the Wii (assuming by 'win' we mean 'made the most money'), simply because of how little it cost to make.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Personally or literally?

If both... yeah, it's still the Xbox 360.
It was the first console of this generation that I got my hands on (not my first EVER), and as an owner of multiple 360's, two PS3's, and a Wii, by far I'd give my vote to the 360.

It dominated sales and still continues to stand head-and-shoulders over its competition to this day.
The exclusives, when compared to PS3, are of course less in number, but I believe they make up for in value of their space. Uncharted you say? Well I have enough Action/Adventure with just Assassin's Creed alone... "but that's not an exclusive!!"... well, exactly, I don't need the exclusive, I've already got multi-platforms that are better than Uncharted, I don't NEED to a buy a PS3 just for it.
You see, on the other hand, the 360's exclusive have their own monumental place in the genre's and niche's they encompass.
Halo is the watermark first-person shooter for consoles, it essentially mainstreamed the genre into the platform. Killzone didn't exactly innovate or change that much in the FPS genre. Sure it was fun but not anything I haven't seen/played before.
Gears of War changed the way we see modern day 3rd person shooters, with chest-high walls and generic cover based shooting mechanics that round out most 3rd person shooters today.

And to be honest, I despise the whole "Well PSN is free! hah!"

I wasn't aware that $5 a month was so horrible, but I guess you just can't go without $5. Hey don't get me wrong, I love a good pie from Little Caesar's but it's not worth a 3 week-long shutdown and the following months having to worry about my personal identity but whatever. And also, it seems the short end is always being slammed in the PS3's face when it comes to 3rd party DLC, and even just 3rd party in general.
So yeah, in regards to DLC, 3rd party support, and anything non-exclusive, I guess all I can say is:

Sorry to be rude(ish), especially to my fellow PS3 players, but really, in the end, the whole thing is kinda pointless. Nintendo fans are Nintendo fans, Xbox fans are Xbox fans, and PS fans are PS fans.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Elementary - Dear Watson said:
I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that at one point there were more 360's being sold in Japan than PS3's!

Fair play to the Yanks for that!
The 360 sold so poorly in Japan that it's practically been pulled. [http://uk.ign.com/articles/2011/08/18/xbox-360-being-phased-out-of-japanese-shops]

Trippy Turtle said:
I think Xbox won mainly for Xbox Live. The controller and Xbox Live is why I am not a PC gamer.
That's a strange pair of reasons... most PC games support the 360 controller and I can't think of anything you can do on XBL that you can't on PC for free (sans the cost of your ISP). I mean, I can understand if you don't want the hassle of DRM, the cost of a PC compared to a console or like how it's a little easier to set up a console in a living room... but what does XBL do that a PC can't? What's different about using a 360 controller for a PC game over a 360 game?

I'm not trying to 'convert' you or anything, I'm just genuinely curious.

OT: Of the 3 consoles, I preferred the Wii, just because it had more exclusives that I liked. Brawl, Xenoblade, Mario Galaxy, Zelda, Metroid Prime 3, Madworld, etc. The PS3 comes in at a close second, largely because of Infamous and Demon Souls, but I can't really think of any 360 exclusives that I really liked. I saw someone earlier listing L4D and Mass Effect as exclusives but I have those on PC. The only noteworthy 360 exclusives I can think of are Gears and Halo and I'm not very fond of either of them. Apparently there are some good XBLA games, but I've not found that many (and many of the ones I've had recommended to me were available on PC, when they said 'exclusive', they really meant 'not on PS3') and there were a ton of JRPGs early in it's life but most of them were dire. If you don't have a PC, though, it normally has the best version of multiformat games (in some cases, it even has a better version than the PC does, eg. Saint's Row 2) and it gets all those timed exclusive DLCs (although I almost never buy DLC), so even the 360 has it's advantages. Plus, it's clearly the iconic console of this generation. Just as many refer to the last couple of generations as the "PS1" and "PS2" generations, respectively, this will be remembered as the "Xbox generation" (because no-one ever remembers the '360' bit for some reason.)

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Depends on what type of games you want to play. Since I'm more of a WRPG/FPS player, xbox 360 by far.

Promethax

Dec 7, 2010
Looking at the big picture, I'd say the Xbox 360 won, with the Wii in a close second. In the end, I thought the Xbox's proving that games can rival blockbuster films as entertainment was a more important contribution than the Wii's expanding of the market.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
malestrithe said:
The Wii had the most sales. It also defined the E3 this years and it defined the last 3 years of the generation with Microsoft and Sony competing with each other for their wii also controller.
There's so many odd things about that statement.
I think most people would agree that Nintenedo by FAR had the most disappointing show at E3 this year, and even then, E3 conventions shoulnd't dictate a consoles place in the whole "console-war."

What do you mean it defind the last 3 years of the generation? I can't think of anything titanic that came from the Wii that blasted it's way through the genre.

And the controller? Are you kidding? The clumsy nunchuck? The 360 controller by far, and this is agreed vastly so by the community, the best handling controller of the generation, possibly ever.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
This is dumb, people actually trying to argue that systems that sold less than the Wii are some how the dominating force in the console industry? do any of you actually question why it is that both Microsoft and Sony attempted to accessorize motion controls? It's because Nintendo dominated in console sales.

The Wii won, every one knows it. However certain fanboys don't want to admit that their favorite shitbox didn't do well. Sony hardly profited at all from the PS3 and Microsoft had tremendous problems with their Xbox system, they had to deal with thousands of hardware failure reports and warranty claims however at least Microsoft made a good deal of profit in the end. Still the Wii dominated the market and due to their success they're going to be the first ones to push us into the next generation.

Don't misinterpret my standing though, i'm not a Nintendo fanboy - i'm far from it. I thought almost all of the first-party games were re-packaged retro shit and it almost has no games at all to my liking and the console itself can't really compare in terms of hardware. It looks like shit on my HDTV as well.

If i'm going to throw a vote out to any console for quality, it'll be the PS3. I own all consoles but the PS3 seems the most solid to me. However i have way more games on the 360. I just don't like playing on the 360 because of how obnoxiously loud it is and how it occasionally overheats and freezes up on me. (also i can't stand Microsoft's greedy accessorizing. They want you to pay extra for wifi and online service - when both of the other consoles come with this for free)

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Depends on how you look at it. Wii shifted the most units. 360 sold the most software, made the most money and is arguably the best multimedia system. PS3 has the most high-quality exclusives.

For me, it's a tough call between the 360 and the PS3. I want to say PS3, because I enjoy its exclusive titles more than the 360's and, as a gamer & consumer, good games are most important to me.

Overall, however, I'd have to say the 360 won. It made the most money and all that jazz, but it effectively ended Sony's PS1 & 2-led dominance, jamming itself into the Western market as a front-line contender despite the original Xbox's bronze-medal performance. It's also worth noting that it sold both more console units and more software units than the PS3. People will often point out, to counter this, that the 360 had a year-long head start on the PS3, but that really doesn't do much to diminish the accomplishment when you consider that the 360 sold around five units in Japan. That the PS3 - with its PS1/2 legacy and dominance over one of the world's biggest videogaming markets - couldn't overtake the 360 is a true testament to the latter's popularity in the West.

I think, when looking at it objectively - or at least as objectively as possible - it's pretty clear that the 360 won.

But personally, the PS3 won it for me. Yeah, its control pad is a floaty-light mess with squishy triggers and moronic analogue sticks. PSN really isn't as good as XBL, and I'd rather pay for a good service than get a mediocre service for free. The whole console doesn't seem aware that high-speed internet exists, firmware updates are balls, and the interface is, without exaggeration, one of the worst I've ever seen.

And yet, it's the only place I can play Infamous 2, Ratchet & Clank, Resistance 3, the Uncharted series, and so on. So for all its flaws, the PS3 won this gen for me, though I can't deny the 360 took the gold overall.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Xbox 360 won. This is from a sales standpoint, though. Games-wise, I don't know for sure. But sales-wise, Microsoft won. The Wii isn't counted in my figuring since it wasn't in direct competition with the others; the fight was between Microsoft and Sony, and the Xbox won, mostly by starting firt, costing less, and seizing the teen market.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Well I think Xbox gained the most ground this generation, which is a great thing because the PS2 dominated so much last gen and I want both Sony and Microsoft to be vying for my attention.

PS3 had the best AAA exclusives but the 360 had the best Arcade exclusives.

In terms of sales, the Wii shat all over everything. Although the Wii occupied a strange place in the console market, never really directly competing with the other two consoles.

Personally, I've enjoyed my 360 far more than my PS3. I just enjoyed the overall presentation and social side of XBL more than PSN. Also the way my PS3 likes to spend a good hour updating a new game before I can play it is fucking ludicrous. No such issues with my 360. I also just much prefer the 360 controller and actually find the positioning of the joysticks on the PS3 controller quite uncomfortable.

My PS3 is solely for exclusives and nothing else. My 360 and PC cater for the rest of my needs.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Lear said:
Xbox 360 won. This is from a sales standpoint, though. Games-wise, I don't know for sure. But sales-wise, Microsoft won. The Wii isn't counted in my figuring since it wasn't in direct competition with the others; the fight was between Microsoft and Sony, and the Xbox won, mostly by starting firt, costing less, and seizing the teen market.
Lol that's just ignoring the Wii and the fact it has by far the most sales. And tbh the Wii has great exclusives 1st and 3rd party, it's just a stupid shame it's not a HD machine and most of us have moved onto LCDs.

I wonder which console has the most exclusives? The Wii is certainly in the running in this regard as a good deal as the other 2 had alot of multiplats.

Anyway I don't think any console "won" as it depends on what genres that person likes. For anyone who has no interest in shooters the 360 would seem like the worst out of the lot, even with it's XBLA lineup.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
TrevHead said:
Lear said:
Lol that's just ignoring the Wii and the fact it has by far the most sales. And tbh the Wii has great exclusives 1st and 3rd party, it's just a stupid shame it's not a HD machine and most of us have moved onto LCDs.

I wonder which console has the most exclusives? The Wii is certainly in the running in this regard as a good deal as the other 2 had alot of multiplats.

Anyway I don't think any console "won" as it depends on what genres that person likes. For anyone who has no interest in shooters the 360 would seem like the worst out of the lot, even with it's XBLA lineup.
The Wii exists. It sold the most. I mentioned it, and if I didn't count it out, I would have named it the winner. However, in economic terms, the war was between Sony and Microsoft, for the main market, and Microsoft won. Personal preference? Yours, mate.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I would say it's almost even. Nintendo had some great first party titles, and interesting new concept (never mind it didn't work), Xbox had a shit ton of games for its library, and PS3 had really solid games and exclusives. Although I voted PS3 because Sony has their dick firmly inserted between my buttocks.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Well for me the Xbox won because of it's middle ground stance, with both entertainment and cost. And I prefer Halo, Gears, Trials and Fable to Resistance, Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet and other titles that I don't care to remember right now.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
What do you mean by won? Do you mean sales or accomplishments? Because this looks like a favorite console thread. I would say Wii because it brought in a lot of casual gamers and sold the most.

Opinions shouldn't be on this thread. When you say "Which console won." I'm gonna assume sales so it would have to be a factual response.

CTU_Loscombe

Dec 12, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
PS3 wins by virtue of having solid games to play. Its list of exclusives blow the Xbox out the water, who only have Gears and Halo really. The Wii was alright, but you didnt get much outside of first party titles.

Also, fuck having to pay for XBL gold.

INB4 PC wins all(it doesnt)
Not trying to flamebait with this one but having a free service for PS3 is what has shot its online service to hell. I've owned both a PS3 and a 360 and I can safely say that when playing the same game across the two consoles, the 360 online service wins hands down every time. Take, for instance, Black Ops. I had a terrible problem with lag and dropped connections on the PS3 version.
On Xbox Live you get what you pay for...Support, patches, online safety (account fishers not withstanding...Thats user-end idiocy) and a largely unhackable service. PSNs lackluster security was what caused the big PSN hack a while back. Also, something Ive never understood is why the hell are updates on PSN so damned big and slow???!!! That annoyed me to no end (any info on this would be great)
Also, Blu-Ray as a medium has shot Sony in the foot. Its slow disc speed resulting in mandatory installs for most games to load at a decent speed was terrible. MGS4 had installs for every chapter.
It also gets the short straw on multi-platform games (Silent Hill HD collection for example) in that they look and perform below the Xbox performance

Im not saying that its a terrible console (its not) its just it has too many negative points to claim it as a winner. Its the Sega Saturn of the current generation i.e technically sound and has some great exclusives......just its a little rough around the edges.

Microsoft has issues too before you rage back at me :) RROD, loud as hell fan, overheating, proprietary HDDs, account fishers, complete asshats on Live etc...

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
I'd say the PS3 and the 360 are so similar that they both won. If you had asked me a year ago who won I may have said the Wii. Alas, the monster that was the sales figures king now seems to really struggling. Many people I know show indifference or laugh it off outright. I can see many people playing the XBOX and PS3 10 years from now, and none playing the Wii in 2 years.