Poll: Which do you consider worse...

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The idea for this thread comes from the latest Escapist podcast.
Which do you consider worse:
The PSN going down,
Or the red ring of death.

I consider the PSN going down worse, because at least with the 360 my credit card wasn't in danger, and Microsoft is very generous when you report that your 360 has died.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
RRoD. The PSN problem was fixed in 23 days. It's been 4 years and they STILL haven't fixed the RRoD.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Doesn't affect me;I'm a PC gamer,and I always keep backups of my system files on an external solid state hard drive. Blue Screen? If rebooting doesn't work,and a reformatting is required,I re-install the OS,and then dump my latest backup into the system.

Recovery made easy.

Lightning Delight

Apr 21, 2011
Well I personally have never gotten the RRoD, and even if I did my credit card information wouldn't be at risk, so......

Lenin211

Apr 22, 2011
When you RRoD, your credit card info doesn't get hacked. When I got RRoD for the first time, The warranty was still valid so it was easy to fix.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
The PSN problem was much, much worse.

Mr. Omega said:
RRoD. The PSN problem was fixed in 23 days. It's been 4 years and they STILL haven't fixed the RRoD.
But your personal information didn't get stolen with the ring of death. Plus you got a new/free xbox.

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Red Ring of Death,it may not lose your info,but it's better to be able play your games,instead of waiting 2 months to get a new console.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
66% rate of random permanent failure > 3 weeks of no online, slight risk of info loss, followed by 2 free games

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
RRoD because unlike the PSN they never actually fixed it. at least Sony quickly admitted the problem. It took like a year before Microsoft would even fully admit there was a problem.

That being said the RRod is only worse by the slimmest of margins. I had 3 360s fail before I said 'fuck this noise' and got rid of the thing for good.

CondorBob

Jun 8, 2009
PSN went down for about 3 weeks, but during that time I could still play Red Dead Redemption, or Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, or any other game I had. While I did lament the fact I couldn't go online and play, it's still better than having a system that just completely dies. And while Microsoft did ship me a new one within a week, that one ended up with the RRoD a month or two afterwards.

As far as I know all my credit card information is safe, and until I find out otherwise, the RRoD will be the worse of the two for me.

But I still love Microsoft and Sony :3

Matthew McDonald

Feb 21, 2010
Alphakirby said:
Red Ring of Death,it may not lose your info,but it's better to be able play your games,instead of waiting 2 months to get a new console.
2 months? Got mine back in 2 weeks and that was over the Christmas period. I've still been able to use my PS3 offline while the PSN was down which I wasn't able to do when my xbox went off for repair and as I'm predominantly a SP gamer it hasn't really affected me at all. Hopefully it will be working for me by the time L.A. Noire is released so I can get my DLC, but as Australia is seen as third rate place by Sony, I believe we're at the bottom of the fix PSN for these users pile.

In any case both things are so different it's not really a good comparison.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Now, don't take this as some opinion against X-Box, but I think the red ring is worse. See, they had a bunch of those before, and then - and this made me feel bad for those guys - there was a second wave later on of RROD from the next generation of X-Boxes. And I've got to assume that it still happens and that it can still happen in the future. Honestly, I hope Microsoft fixes that up, because the cost of replacing the machines can gulp down their money awfully quick.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Red Ring of Death. I had no problem waiting out the 25 days or so for the PSN to get sorted out. Yes, my personal information was most likely hijacked but I immediately changed all important passwords and I axed my old credit card/got a new one mailed to me.

So, from a laziness perspective (which is always critical to me), I had only to put in 30 minutes of effort from the comfort of my desk chair to sort out any potential PSN outage issues. If I had the RRoD, I'd have to worry about: my HD data being wiped, getting a replacement etc which could take quite a bit of time.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Is this really even comparable? I mean you are comparing a company's hardware problem with another company's software problem. One prevents you from playing ANY of your games. The other prevents you from playing your online games etc. Now if you needed PSN to play your games off line then I can see the similarities and in that case I would say PSN by just a little because your credit card info was at risk. That is the only thing in my opinion that makes it alittle worse because down time it took them about 23 days to fix it. It took microsoft about that long to get me my xbox back if not a little more because of shipping.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
RRoD.

PSN going down was caused by external forces, Sony is not at fault. RRoD is caused by Microsoft's negligence and poor quality control, Microsoft is at fault.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
For the damage it caused some developers and publishers who were unfortunate enough to have launches during the outage, I have to say the PSN down time was worse.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Seeing as one was a failure by the corporation to fix a glaring flaw in their product and the other was an attack by external forces motivated by some bullshit crusade... Yeah. RRoD was worse.