Poll: Which do you prefer: Minecraft or Terraria?

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Minecraft because of it's endless insperation.
darksideslayer13 said:
minecraft is a creative game with an action adventure aspect
Terraria is a action adventure game with a creative aspect
ooh nice one!

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
I like Minecraft better. Too many hilarious moments in my server with my friends. Terraria just cannot compete with that.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
Davey Woo said:
I've played Minecraft and I haven't played Terraria, I'm aware that they are supposedly quite different, but to me Terraria simply looks like a 2D minecraft, and I'm not paying twice for effectively the same game.
i would prepare for a lot of shit from that comment

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Minecraft, because it's unique in the current market. I can get a 2D action adventure game anywhere, but the shit Minecraft does doesn't exist anywhere else. And by the shit it does, I don't really mean the specific mechanics, just how everything feels with the awesome soundtrack, the clean graphics (especially with a good texture pack, but the default is still good), the wonder of finding a massive cave, the feeling of finishing your giant underground canal so you can get across your island to your giant quarry of stone and iron so you can build your giant fortress with a lava moat and a minecart station that reaches across multiple islands.

And then there's co-op. Damn, is there co-op.

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
I don't think the two can be so readily compared. Comparing Fortresscraft and Minecraft makes more sense, in my opinion, because they're so similar. But to me, Terraria and Minecraft are too different.

That said, I prefer Minecraft. It's my cup o' tea: Exploring a near-endless world with the ability to build up your own living arrangements.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Have not played Terraria so Minecraft. The building aspect seems redundant since its only in 2-d.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Minecraft, easily.

I played 3 hours of Terraria and it was just awkward to play. 2D combat has never been good in my opinion, and the way you can get raped by monsters (or the fucking guide opening the doors and letting them in) from the very start is just unpleasant.

Also, the UI is pretty horrible and the graphics don't really work. Low-resolution sprites rendered in high resolution and full rotation look horrible.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
I picked "other" because I've never played Terraria. It looks great, and it would be unfair to say I prefer Minecraft to Terraria when I've never tried the latter.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
I've played both, but I prefer the creation factor in Minecraft. My 5 story castle is coming along nicely, while the 2-D grid of Terraria makes the buildings seem less of a creation, and more of a background factor with some walls, hoping for the shopkeepers to stop wandering through the diseased part of the world and dying. (Plus, my friends always find the material and kill the bosses without me)

While I have spent countless hours on both, the factor of Terraria being more of a combat-based RPG with Minecraft-like building/creation aspects probably favor those who are uninterested with construction (Like many friends I have), while in my personal opinion, I appreciate the grand scale of simplicity of building gigantic fortresses for the general "I built that." achievement.

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Davey Woo said:
I've played Minecraft and I haven't played Terraria, I'm aware that they are supposedly quite different, but to me Terraria simply looks like a 2D minecraft, and I'm not paying twice for effectively the same game.
You surely must never buy a sequel to anything then, or in fact anything from the same genre as a game you already own. Because Terraria is more removed Minecraft than Team Fortress 2 is removed from Halo or more than Command and Conquer is from Starcraft.

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
I have both and when I played Terraria I burned out after like 45 hours whereas I've played literally hundreds of hours of Minecraft.That said Terraria is a much better adventuring game and they do update a lot Minecraft is a much better building game So I like different aspects of them but I have definitely sunk more time into Minecraft.

Alberio

Jun 10, 2009
Minecraft, I tried Terraria but it just didn't seem to flow as well Minecraft does and it seemed a little restrictive for an open world, build what you like type game with it being 2D.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
They're both good. That's it.

They're different games, so you can't compare them. Each game has to be reviewed on it's own merits.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Terraria is more a real adventure game imho. Rpg-style items, random events, bosses, many different enemies, npcs and so forth

to me, minecraft just feels like an advanced lego sim. build and then build some more.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
I voted MineCraft because Terraria has got a bit of an unappealing arcade-feeling to me, and because it is really gear focused.

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
I prefer both of them for different things:

Minecraft has far better building(most likely due to being in 3D), has easy to use texture packs to make the game look how you want it to look(Terraria may have texture packs, but I'd imagine they're harder to use than Minecraft ones as there is no texture pack option on the Terraria menu) and has creepers, which are a brilliant mix of terrifying and hilarious.

Terraria has more varied environments that reward exploration with unique items and blocks, an easier and more fun to explore underground, better combat with a larger, more interesting variety of weaponry and unlike Minecraft has (in my opinion) nice looking default textures, I absolutely despise the default Minecraft textures. I don't mind 16x16 texture packs however, so it's probably just the style of them that I don't like.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
Both are excellent, and I am having fun with both, but more so with terraria at the moment.