Poll: Which generations of Pokemon do you "recognize"?

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
I've personally enjoyed every Generation of Pokèmon that has been released. Each gen has had their share of not-so-great Pokèmon designs.

Even Gen 1 had Mr. Mime.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
The only ones I know are the first two generations. I've played the later generations, but I don't know, I just never really knew the Pokemon that well. Maybe it's because I stopped watching the show after the first two generations.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
I don't really know too much about Pokemon. I played the gameboy game when I was a kid. Red and yellow. I stopped after that. So first I guess?

All I know is I loved my Charizard and every time I see one on the web I give a little nostalgic smile. Those were simpler times. :)

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Where is the option for 1, 2, 4? =P
I lost interest in gen 3, played the hell out of 4, and really liked the changes in 5.
So Pokemon never really "ended" for me.
I said Pokemon 5 was going to be the last one I played (especially after guessing it'd be called black/white back in 2008), but I will still probably play the next gen. I doubt they can run out of ideas anytime soon.
I just hope they don't do that retarded contest shit again. The pokelympics were fun, but dances and singing? Blahhhhh

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Well, I certainly only recognise the first gen. I have no idea what most are past that. But Pokemon was never my thing anyway.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
The sixth gen is in the works? Already? That can't be right, where did you hear that?

As for your question I count all of them, though the first generation is the only one where I can name all of them (not in order though).

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Once they ran out of creative names for the pokemon, I was out. I have played up to third generation, but I was really disappointed with the NAMES.

They seemed to stop using a lot of creative names like pikachu and had things like mixing two obvious english names (I suppose most of them are just mixed japanese words though, but STILL)

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
I like all of them, but I think Gold/Silver/Crystal was the sweet spot of pokemon generations.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Terminate421 said:
All of them. Fuck haters, true fans like all generations.

There are ugly Pokemon in every generation. I've been playing since red and blue hit US shores.
Actually a true fan will be open for new ones, but not necessarily like all. A fanboy will either hate all new ones and love only the classics.

Honestly all Pokemon are legit,though the newest generation seems a tad uninspired. However Black and White makes up lacking design with the best story in the series.

Ekit

Oct 19, 2009
Only 1st and 2nd gen. The 3rd generation only have retarded pokékomn, besides from Aron and Mudkip.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Other for me, 1st and second because I'm old and went off it around 3rd, then when HeartGold came out I jumped back in and got diamond too, so I recognise 1, 2 and 4. 3 still seems weird and I've not picked up black or white.

Rosalia Nightsong

Nov 10, 2011
Just the first and the second generations, here. Back when I was a little child and there were only 151 Pokémon I could list every single one of them, in numerical order, from memory. When they put out the second generation, I thought "Okay, I guess I can live with some more Pokémon". I mean, Silver was my second favourite GB game, and Lugia was just awesome. But when they put out the third generation I said "Forget this" and gave up on the entire series.

I still love my Pokémon Yellow game.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Yopaz said:
Terminate421 said:
All of them. Fuck haters, true fans like all generations.

There are ugly Pokemon in every generation. I've been playing since red and blue hit US shores.
Actually a true fan will be open for new ones, but not necessarily like all. A fanboy will either hate all new ones and love only the classics.

Honestly all Pokemon are legit,though the newest generation seems a tad uninspired. However Black and White makes up lacking design with the best story in the series.
In design for black & white, game freak seems to have gone for pure nostalgia. Granted, in combat these pokemon are far superior to their gen 1 counterparts (e.g. the rattata/raticate expy has hypnosis and crunch before lv 20 & gets super fang soon after)

darkdoom227 said:
Just the first and the second generations, here. Back when I was a little child and there were only 151 Pokémon I could list every single one of them, in numerical order, from memory. When they put out the second generation, I thought "Okay, I guess I can live with some more Pokémon". I mean, Silver was my second favourite GB game, and Lugia was just awesome. But when they put out the third generation I said "Forget this" and gave up on the entire series.

I still love my Pokémon Yellow game.
I think this what most people hate about the new ones; at 5 gens,we've got 649 pokemon. Hell, even I'm starting to forget what pokemon are what. only having 5th gen pokemon in Black and white until Post-game helps, but the main problem is that someday, game freak will have to reset all of them some day in order to keep the franchise alive.

jetricx

Aug 29, 2011
I stopped caring after 251.
Granted that may just be nostalgia, but they started reusing a lot more ideas in the later series.
Example off the top of my head being Magikarp vs. Feebas. Functionally the same pokemon with a slightly different evolution.

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
I grew up with the 1st generation of Pokemon, I fell out of the loop after that. Nowadays I have no clue what Pokemon there are. That makes me feel old...

TheLoveableMuffin

Jun 11, 2011
Just the original generation for me. I remember some second gen Pokemon but I lost interest in the games after that really. (My Gameboy broke and was replaced by a PS1...)

jumjalalabash

Jan 25, 2010
1-4. 5th generation just started looking waaaay too stupid. And thats saying something considering the games and geared toward children.

Seriin

Jun 4, 2009
Most of my favourites come from Gen 3. Gen 1 and 2 are my nostalgia fix. However, I recognize them all because regardless of the stubborn people they are all here and are all a part of the game. Same with anything that comes out with stuff people don't like, really. The SW prequels are still Star Wars, Robin is an important part of the Batman series, etc. They are a part of their universe and lying about it doesn't make it any more pure, it just shuts you off from something you may enjoy even if just a teeny tiny piece.

Back to Pokemon however, there are 649 of the things now, and while they come out in chunks it is hard to categorize them as such when saying what you like and don't like. There are pokes from all gens I don't care for, and ones from each gen I like a lot.

EDIT:

As for them running out of ideas, that is a statement I can't really get behind. Sure you've got similar things like two weakling fish that evolves into power and beauty respectively, or a worm that evolves into two similar looking cocoons because those splitting into a butterfly or a moth. And a lot of gen 5 things are almost direct counterparts to old guys, sure. But they aren't the same, and they are a lot different than a lot of other games would even try to do. I mean, I love my Final Fantasy, but in many of those games you're not going through two dungeons without running into direct pallet swaps. Not different attacks, stats (save for higher level) or strategies. And that's fine, it works there. Hell look at a book of real world animals and tell me that you don't start seeing things that are basics copies or super similar. The biggest problem I think is that Gamefreak isn't changing up really how/where you find your little rat guy or your bird friend, which is more of a problem with pacing design than monster creation.

It is perfectly fine to like old Pokemon over the new guys, don't get me wrong here. I don't think it is right to really hate anything though. No need to hate the new ones for being new, or for being (possibly) better, or out of fear that no one will remember your old buddy with the new shiny toys to play with. It's Pokemon, all of them are around and all of them have memories for someone, somewhere. None of them are going anywhere.

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
As a side note, isn't it about time they jsut made "sound" a type and be done with it. They could mix up the metagame a little and use it to even out the typings a little.