Poll: Which generations of Pokemon do you "recognize"?

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I accept all of them because each generation has pokemon that I love and hate. Granted though, my least favorite so far has to be the fifth gen.

Bakuryukun

Jul 12, 2010
I think nostalgia blinds people to the fact that even some of the original 151 were pretty stupid. That being said, every gen has had a good dose of good pokemon as well, and I still have fun with even the latest entries of the series.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Shanicus said:
I recognize all of them - anyway, the 5th generation isn't that bad. While we do have to put up with an Icecream cone and a bag of rubbish (Though the icecream is surprisingly powerful...) It did give us such greats as Chandelure, Serperior and Braviary.
Though whoever balanced the Legendaries needs to go back and do it again - Reshiram and Zekrom are some of the most over-powered things in the entire game. Seriously, they're worse then 4th generation Garchomp.
I think this is partially due to the usual power creep, but also due to the fact that gamefreak wants to make all pokemon at least somewhat useful. Common mons like patrat/watchog in 5th gen are way more useful then ones like sentret were in second gen because patrat gets better overall type coverage, superfang, and hypnosis.

But it's mostly due to powercreep. Even garchomp lasted longer in 4th gen OU than Excadrill did in 5th.

Bakuryukun said:
I think nostalgia blinds people to the fact that even some of the original 151 were pretty stupid. That being said, every gen has had a good dose of good pokemon as well, and I still have fun with even the latest entries of the series.
Seel and Beedrill, anyone? Some of the laziest designs in pokemon.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I recognize all of them because I am not a pretentious bastard who believes that all the first 151 are the only real Pokemon just because I grew up with them and that there can only be a set number of legendaries because apparently, we now get to decide for ourselves against what the fucking CREATORS OF THE SERIES claim about which Pokemon are and are not legendary because apparently, the number of legendaries cannot exceed 10 lest they no longer be legendary. -_-

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
people always complain about how dumb some new pokemon are, but first gen had a sludge pile and a mime.
A mime for Christ sakes.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I stopped playing them after Silver, at which point I think I got more into the heavy plots of other JRPGs that were a bit more mature.

I did go back and play the Colosseum games (as it seemed a happy marriage of my childhood favorite with console JRPGs), and they were actually pretty good, and made me like a few of the designs from the GBA generation, but after those I stopped paying attention again.

Oddly enough if they made another 3d console affair and I had a Wii/Wii U at the time I'd probably give it a go even though my love of Pokemon has long since passed.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
I really liked the 1st 3 (and consider 2nd generation the best one), and felt 4 would have been a pretty good stopping point, but wasn't too bad. 5 was where they pretty much killed it for me. Not only were the new pokemon really, really dumb (A trash bag, Treeko with a pointy nose, and a poofier version of Seel, to name a few), but I think what really ruined it for me was that you couldn't even run into any of the other 450ish pokemon until you beat the game.

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
I never played Gen3, so I don't recognize a lot of those Pokemon. I think a lot of those who don't think any Pokemon past a certain generation are legitimate are either bitter about the passing of time or haven't actually played the games past that generation yet. Because there are just as many stupid Pokemon in Gen 1 as there are in any other generation, etc; and just as many cool Pokemon in Gen 5 as in Gen 1, etc.

Magnikai

Oct 29, 2008
I like all of them...mostly. I actually hated the 2nd gen for the longest time until Soul Silver came out. Now I just mostly tolerate it really.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
I "recognise" all of them. I prefer the pokemon from gen 1/2 but the other generations introduced a lot of interesting pokemon and mechanics, as well.

Veldt Falsetto

Dec 26, 2009
Smertnik said:
Wait, there're more Pokemons beside Pikachu, the fire lizard and the water turtle?
Yeah there is also that plant dinosaur with a bulb on it's back.

That is all.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
Honestly, a better answer for me would be first and third generations. I never really got into Gold/Silver but loved the hell out of Ruby/Sapphire and Red/Blue

DoctorSun

Dec 11, 2011
I guess I could only recognize GenI and GenII fully. I could nitpick out of the other gens though.

JustOrdinary

Mar 13, 2011
Eh, so long as they don't looking like Babos or Osoe, I'm perfectly fine with it.

(obscure reference ftw)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It's not my place to say what is and is not "legitimate," but I stopped following it after the 4th generation as I felt it was just getting ridiculous. Playing through Soul Silver, I just got to thinking that a lot of the new moves for the Pokemon were batshit insane and a much of the time the type alignments were rendered null and void what with Pokemon of one type whipping out moves of another type.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i know every first gen pokemon by heart, and much of the second... some of the third, but that was the final generation for me. i stopped playing the games at that point. pokemon has just gotten too ridiculous. i mean, they have ice cream pokemon now, ffs.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
While most of the 2nd generation and onward where complete shit, I'll go with 1 and 2. Gen 1 only had 1 Pokemon I hated (Porygon) and although I loathed most of generation 2 the legendary Pokemon where pretty nice and there where a few regular ones that I probably liked that I could come up with if you gave me about 5 minutes to think of one. Bottom line, Pokemon was best in the first generation, and the best Pokemon are all in gen 1 being

1. Mew
2. Mewtwo
3. Charizard
4. Lickitung (can learn Thunder, Fireblast AND Blizzard so he was basically unstoppable)
5. Scyther

Of course this is all a matter of opinion and other people will disagree with me. And that just shows that opinions can be wrong!

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
Caramel Frappe said:
I stopped with the first generation really. It's realistic that way (yeah, it's a fictional world and a cartoon but please hear me out) because there's no way that suddenly 250 more pokemon can be suddenly discovered. In the world of Pokemon, they would of came across the breeds altogether. It would be like if I had a show and everyone being in a civilized society soon discovered what 'birds' were all of a sudden in some other country. It doesn't make sense.. in fact what I said doesn't make as much sense as it should.

Point is, the first generation is the golden era, the classic. After that it was all because the demand for Pokemon was high, and they couldn't keep people amused with the 150 Pokemon they already got to know by heart. Yet, doing this often with 150 Pokemon breeds each time will put a huge strain on them. I mean, they already ran out of ideas due to making this a Pokemon:

.. Looks like, a duck that's blue. Not saying the games aren't enjoyable, but I fear Pokemon cannot last forever and might end soon. Maybe.
So Ducklett is unoriginal, but the ones in the original 151 are not? Have you looked at them? Pidgey is just a bird, Seel is just a seal with a small horn, Mr. Mime (god I hate him) is just a pedophile, Growlithe is just an orange dog...I could go on and on. If anything, the designs have been getting more original as it goes. Sure, you have your duds, but I don't understand how people can complain about them running out of ideas and are just copying animals while also complaining about some of the weirder ones (like the ice cream one or the garbage bag).

Anyway, as for Pokemon in other regions, it's just that. Pokemon in other regions. They didn't live in the areas you were visiting, so you didn't see them. It's the same reason I don't see wild lions when driving to work. Anything that ends up in old areas I chalk up to migration or a simple retcon. They didn't magic themselves into existence. It's just geography and habitats. Kinda like real life.