Poll: Which is more comfortable? The Xbox 360 Controller or the PS3 Controller

Merobots

Aug 21, 2012
I do not mean to spark any form of skirmish between Xbox fans and PS3 Fans. As far as I'm concerning, I like both. Both have good games except I, personally (Not speaking on behalf of the internet), find the PS3 Controller uncomfortable.

Why not share your thoughts?

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
In general I prefer the 360 controller, but the PS3 has the superior dpad.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I like the PS3 controller more because it's pretty much been the same since the PS1.
Familiarity and all that.

The 360 controller used to feel clunky,
but after spending a decent amount of time with it, it doesn't bother me anymore.

Really I don't care about the controller or the system, just the game.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Face buttons: 360
D-Pad: PS3 by a large margin
Shoulder buttons: 360
Analog sticks: 360
Controller shape: dependent on hand size (for me 360)

Overall a slight edge IMO for the 360. That said I play a lot of fighting games and the PS3 (and Sony systems in general, i.e. PS1/2) have vastly superior 3rd party support for fighting game geared controllers. Furthermore as somewhat of a hobbyist with regards to controller modification the PS3 is much easier to work with (no security BS) than the 360.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I've always liked the PS controllers more. The 360 D-pad is terrible and I don't know why they insist on having the secondary shoulder buttons as these huge triggers when the primary ones are just little clicky things. The flat L1 L2/ R1 R2 buttons feel much more responsive overall. I like the feel of the PS' main buttons more, too.

I will say that I prefer the 360 pad's analog sticks though. The concave tops mean thumbs don't slip off of them like they can do with the PS controller's sticks.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Xbox Controller.

The 360's D-pad is bad, yes but for everything else, it's meant to age for the future.

rhyno435

Apr 24, 2009
I prefer the PS3 controller, although that may just be because I've gotten used to it. I like the L1/R1 buttons better than the LB/RB buttons (although the triggers on the 360 controller may be better than the L2/R2 buttons).

Also, the biggest thing for me is that the analog sticks on the 360 controller seem too stiff to me, compared to the PS3 analog sticks. I don't know why, but I feel like I can't aim as precise while playing the 360 as I can while playing the PS3.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
It's entirely a matter of preference, I like the PlayStation controller because I've used it since the days of the PlayStation 1 and the Xbox controller feels awkward and alien to me.

yuval152

Jul 6, 2011
I like the xbox 360 controller more, it feels more comfortable and although the d-pad sucks i like it more than the PS controller.

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
I prefer the Xbox controller. It's nice, and big and chunky and it feels good in my hands and this sounds a lot dirtier than I'd intended.

Also, I recently started using my PS3 again and after a short session with that controller, my hand cramped so...

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Don't have a ps3 but..

The 360 analogs have a good feel to them but I wouldn't say they were high quality. I've 2 360 slim pads and 2 of the sticks don't show up on Xpadder as dead center, they are just inside standard deadzone settings, which sucks for me as I tend to reduce my deadzones for some PC games.

Edit those face buttons are sweat magnets aswell, im forever having to clean the sides of the buttons to stop them from sticking.

Also those triggers could do with been more sensitive, there's too much play between off and on. (ie deadzone)

Like the megadrive pad, the 360 is great to hold though.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
The 360 controller. It was designed with ergonomics as the main priority, and it shows. It feels perfect in my hands. The Playstation controller has an iconic design and it has a lot of nostalgia connected to it, but that also works against it. The design has barely advanced at all since it was first introduced 18 years ago.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
The 360 is great for racing games and shooters, but I vastly prefer M+K for shooters so that's not a huge point in it's favour to me. Playing fighting games on the 360 pad is a horrible chore and the PS3 pad is far superior in this respect. I also find the PS3 pad a lot better for 2D platformers.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I much prefer the 360 controller overall in terms of both form and function.. except for the dpad. The dpad on the 360 controller is garbage.

Nietz

Dec 1, 2009
I prefer the Xbox 360 controller, simply because playing for an extended time with a Ps3(or similarly designed controller) makes my fingers cramp up. I'm a sufferer of OA(Osteoarthritis), and the smaller frame of the Ps3 controller and my generally strong grip causes my ring and little-fingers to lock and cramp up. The Xbox controller fits my hands better and relieves more tension from my hands. It's unfortunate that the D-pad isn't up to par with the Ps3 one though.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I like the PS3 controller better, holding-it-wise. It just works better for me.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Ultimately, it depends on what kind of game I'm playing. If it's a game where my thumbs are mostly on the left anolog stick and the face buttons, then 360 controller. If both my thumbs spend most of the time on anolog sticks, or if I have to use the d-pad any significant amount, then PS3.

That said, I don't have a huge preference, and I find the Gamecube controller better than either of them, despite it having fewer inputs. It's the only controller I've seen where the face button layout makes sense and where the shoulder buttons (aside from the z button) are something I would consider good.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I mean the PS1 controller was designed for good comfort, but the L2 and R2 buttons on the PS3 piss me off, they keep slipping and whipping back into place, the XBox 360 controller is comfy though the D-Pad is a pain in the arse (I want to use it for Street Fighter for the directions to be more discrete but it just feels non-responsive).

Either way XBox is more comfortable.