Poll: Which Video Game Series Do You Want To See Have Movies Based On Them?

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Johnny Reb said:
Did you read The Infernal City? that was TES based but was a totally different story then the whole "Uriel Septem" thing. like that.
Oh right, the books. I could never find them so I had forgotten.
Are they any good?

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I'm not a fan of making games into movies, but I suppose it's theoretically possible to make a Silent Hill adaptation that doesn't suck.

Antidrall said:
I want Final Fantasy to be made into a movie, preferably the incredibly bad ones (7-13). That way when all the characters are given voices and everything, fans will sit back and think "Wow...these guys are effin' emo."
That's already done. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385700/] And I have to say the fight scenes (which, in my memory, make up most of the film) are ridiculously awesome.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
azure-gaia said:
I think a Fallout Movie could be quite good if it was done in a similar style to the fan film which was featured a while back. Wish I remembered the name of it.

I'm not the biggest fan of the Fallout series but I think a movie would be awesome.
Nuka Break.

Me I'd go for "Little Big Planet: The Movie."

HusaneFatal

Mar 19, 2008
Honestly, not making Bioshock because the director wanted to make it R?! The game is rated M why the fuck would you tone things down for the movie? Movie Executives need to get a clue the people who would be going to see a Bioshock movie are the same ones that bought the M rated game in the first place. Who the hell was their planned audience little kids?

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Resident Evil.

And before anyone says anything, I know there are movies "based" on the series, but I want REAL RE movies. As in, Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy and Jill Valentine being premier characters, Wesker being the badass he is, no new characters that have no right being in my RE films (fuck you Alice. Fuck you).

That's what I want. A real RE film.

plugav said:
I'm not a fan of making games into movies, but I suppose it's theoretically possible to make a Silent Hill adaptation that doesn't suck.
Honestly, I quite enjoyed the Silent Hill film.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd like to see a live-action adaptation of both the Assassin's Creed and Fallout games. Though to do those franchises justice, it would have to be either an HBO style series ( fewer episodes with higher production values per season) or a five+ part mini-series, like Roots, North and South or Band of Brothers.
There's just too much story, or story potential, to make a decent single movie, even if it did end up a three+ hour film.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
Other: Red Dead Redemption

Simple put: I love westerns. Deadwood is gone, and serious westerns have become scarce or taken a backseat to films like Cowboys and Aliens (which does look cool). I loved the story of John Marston and would like to see it realized in the more literal sense. Casting would be interesting to see, and I hope John Hillcoat would come in to direct it like he did the short film for Rockstar. Hell, get Nick Cave to do the screenplay like he did for The Proposition (also directed by Hillcoat).

I'd be first in line opening day.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Keava said:
None. I really don't see the fun factor in movies based on games. You take something interactive and strip it form interactivity, leaving just well, cutscenes. In that case i'd rather watch original IP movie since at least it can bring something new.

Plus so far pretty much every movie based on game was terrible. It doesn't transfer well.

agreed. Interactivity is essential to what games are. When specific games are translated to films, they lose half of the experience.
[hr]
Now, if they were to write a new plot with different characters & set it in a universe established in a game, I would prefer it in the Warcraft universe. There's a lot of room for growth in that universe.

Mettking

Mar 17, 2011
Let's see...L4D would work if you kept the characters, Tales of has it's moments but don't think it would work overall, Metal Gear is practically that, some others as well, but next to nothing on that list.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Assassin's Creed.

That way I won't care as much when they inevitably fuck it up.

Chalacachaca

May 15, 2011
None of them. Personally, the best way to present a videogame, it's in a videogame, not on the big screen or any other media.

Apr 5, 2008
Not a single one on the poll, but...

Another Hitman movie would be fantastic!
So would one based on the X universe, centering on Julian Brennan (circa X2 Threat - X3 Reunion) :-D
Or Jade Empire with Jet Li as the student as Ziyi Zhang as Silk Fox.
The Moment of Silence would make an incredible sci fi thriller.
Not sure what the current state of a Bioshock movie is but there was one the cards. I'd pay to see that.
And a new Tron movie based entirely on Tron 2.0 without ANY execs trying to make it appeal to the mass-market, unlike the Legacy garbage Disney foisted on the fans. Olivia Wilde is allowed to play Mercury however!

Or of course....the epic Bhaalspawn Saga. Done by Peter Jackson please!

Wasn't there talk of a Halo movie? And how on Earth do you make a film based on CoD? Wouldn't that just be a generic war movie with throwaway plot and characters noone cares about?
Also, there is already a film based on Fallout 3 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9UwlAAnlmg]...and it rocks!

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
There is already a film about Final Fantasy.
Anyhow, assuming you're talking about the post-apocalyptic FPSRPG, I'd prefer a Fallout-movie. But please don't make one.

Nick_Snyder

May 20, 2011
The new "My Little Pony" TV show. I'm sure that they will eventually make a game of it. Imagine the live action implications!!!

playinthedark

Feb 15, 2010
I'd watch an AC movie.

But to me it seems as if Hollywood just can't pull of the game/film crossover. Just look at this list...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games#International

None of those are making it to my movie shelf...(Ok maybe Tomb Raider but only for Angelina)

Aeroastrix

May 2, 2011
Kapol said:
Really, I'd prefer none. But I'd go with Halo from the choices open. It seems like it's the best one on the list. Most of those games are open-world, and trying to get a movie of an open-world game with a good story while keeping the 'game' feel to it would likely trip most of them up. Also 'Final Fantasy' isn't a good poll option in my opinion, as it's a series that, unlike the others, doesn't actually have much continuity between games, so a movie based on the general FF series is impossible since it's a constantly changing series. That said, that does have two movies out, so it also shouldn't really be on there. Just saying. ^^;

Going off from the choices, I'd like to see a movie based off Mass Effect, set in the same universe but not following Shephard. A gears movie could be good for a just a action movie that doesn't try too hard to be serious. L4D could also be interesting if done correctly. I would love to see a live-action pokemon movie just for the hell of it, because I think getting good CGI pokemon would make it worth seeing. I suppose a Zelda movie could work, as it is generally linear in nature. And then there's MGS, which is basically just a movie with some game parts thrown in already.

But really, I'm just waiting for a Firefly game.
Dude, funny stroy about a halo movie.well, more cruel and ironic than funny but anyway...

there once was a man named Peter Jackson, a great movie director of our time. He once signed on with bungie to produce a multi-million dollar film called HALO, it would have been a box office hit and Peter Jackson knew he could pull through and make a video game movie that didn't suck. Unfortunately Bungie decided to start doubting themselves and thought the budget was too high and they pulled out.

after the death of the HALO movie P Jackson went on to help make Distric 9, which turned out to be very successful, which made bungie go...
/facepalm