Poll: Who are the most important members of society?

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
TJWhoopy said:
None of the above, the most important are those who "do stuff."

farmers, technicians, laborers. those who keep us fed, keep the lights on and our toilets flushing.
Damn, that's a very good answer. There are societies that don't have any or many of the things listed above but are fine because they can get good. A society is worth jack if it can't feed itself.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Story said:
TJWhoopy said:

farmers, technicians, laborers. those who keep us fed, keep the lights on and our toilets flushing.
Damn, that's a very good answer. There are societies that don't have any or many of the things listed above but are fine because they can get good. A society is worth jack if it can't feed itself.
I gotta disagree, that's all stuff that EVERYONE ought to be able to do. It commands no respect.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Where do Firemen and Rescue officials(EMTs and the like) fall on the poll? People who selflessly put themselves in harms way to help their fellow man, those types.

When it comes to saluting, whenever I see an emergency vehicle drive by, I wave and pound my chest in respect to those individuals.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Dimitriov said:
Story said:
TJWhoopy said:

I gotta disagree, that's all stuff that EVERYONE ought to be able to do. It commands no respect.
I don't know, not everyone has the know how to do these things. At least, I know I don't know how to get my own food for me and my family outside of the grocery store.

And consider that if we were unable to gather/make enough food for others, I don't think we would have the large grouping societies we have now. We would live nomadicly.

*Also, food not good. Oops.

TJWhoopy also mentioned technicians, which was also a good point and I'm sure not everyone can be that.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I am more incline to vote for "The scientists. Doctors, engineers, researchers" but I voted for "The educators. Teachers, university professors, counselors, tutors", after all who do you think taught the scientists about science in the first place unless that scientist self taught with books/ videos?

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
A combination of the science professionals, the educators and business men. I'm going for a computer science degree so I have absolutely no love for business types (in my field, most don't know the difference between QWERTY and DVORAK) so that's not something I say lightly. Management can help organize everyone else. The educators are important to teach the future generations and the researchers to help advance us as a civilization.

And quick heads up, university professors don't require any teaching credentials. It's almost like a punishment for them. "You want to do research? Teach these kids first." That's not to say none of them can teach, but a good chunk of them are crap at their jobs.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
Teachers. Without teachers, our society collapses. Teachers provide an education, which is the most absolutely critical thing in the modern world for all but the very, very few. Without teachers, most of the scientists and artists and such wouldn't be around. Without teachers, we'd have a gap between the top and bottom of society the likes of which we haven't seen in the modern age (in itself, that's saying something). Without teachers, there is no transmission of knowledge and thus our collective knowledge stagnates.

LTlewis

Jun 26, 2011
A sell sword stands before three men. A king, a rich man and a priest. Each bids him kill the other two. Who dose he kill.
The power lies with the sell sword. It is the soldiers that keep the peace ad protect all the others. This allows all others to flourish and create a better society. In a perfect world this leads to a world without soldiers but the world is not yet perfect.

Yes I did get the riddle from game of thrones but the point still stands.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
And science wins by an extraordinary margin (i lump the university professors in with the scientists!)

Horay for me, 75% of the escapist agree that I'm among the most important members of society.

NOW SHINE MY SHOES

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
SimpleThunda said:
The workers. You know... The people that made EVERYTHING. Rather shameful that it isn't in your list of options.
I was going to say this myself, as we tend to forget that a leader is nothing without his or her followers. Not everyone can be a leader, but everyone can contribute; it's just a matter of knowing your own set of skills and using that to help society as a whole.

Personally, I voted teachers. Cause I am one.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I'm going to go with none of the above and instead say nice people. All of those categories have more or less the same effect to change society. Leaders make decisions, the wealthy can use their money, artists can sway popular opinion, etc, but each and every one can also ruin society through the same methods. So I'd say nice people who want to improve things, no matter how, are the real important ones.

stormgsk

Aug 2, 2012
Who are the most important members of society? The answer, forever, and always will be, the children.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
martin luther king jr said:
I have a dream where man is judged solely on the content of his character
We can sit here all day and say "X group of people is more important because of Y" or we can accept the fact that each group has is full of individuals. There are good people and bad people in every walk of life and there are people who excel at what they do and those that dont. Its time we move away from this social hierarchy and learn to act like adults and treat everyone as an individual and not just assume someone is "more important" than someone else before meeting them

Heres a good fictional yet highly plausible example: we have scientist A and scientist B. Both scientist discover a cure for all forms of cancer in one pill with no side-effects. Scientist A decided to market his idea and he is now a multi-billionaire however only the select few that can afford his pill are able to be cured. Scientist B however decides to make his treatment available to everyone. He is probably still going to earn a decent living however his treatment will be available to everyone. Both discoveries are equally as important but one of the guys is obviously more selfless than the other

P.s. how do we define importance?

TWRule

Dec 3, 2010
None of the above. Society, as a constellation of social systems, doesn't hold any 'members' in esteem - in most areas it doesn't even recognize such things as members.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
The wealthy. Millionaires, billlionaires, people with vast material riches.
useless, just people who use up too many resources for their own selfish gain
The entrepreneurs. CEO's, businessmen, self-made tycoons.
useful because they employ people
The scientists. Doctors, engineers, researchers.
don't even need to say why these people are vital
The world leaders. Presidents, royalty, dictators.
to quote Jim Sterling "bunch o fuckas"
The artists. Writers, musicians, directors, actors.
useless, don't contribute much for how much in the way of resources they use
The soldiers. Infantry, officers, generals, in service to their native country.
Correction, they don't serve their country, they serve their government and if humans could figure out how to get along after all the thousands of years of our existence they wouldn't be needed
The humanitarians. Peace activists, charity organizers, spiritual leaders, enviromentalists.
I think this basically covers good people and there's not enough of them
The educators. Teachers, university professors, counselors, tutors.
vital

Need to add the workers, they do everything and thus are extremely vital

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Let me tell you a story:

The parts of the body were arguing with each other. They wanted to determine which part of the body was the most important.

"I control all of you, therefore I'm the most important" said the Brain.
"I support you all, therefore I'm the most important" said the Skeleton.
"I make sure nobody starves to death, therefore I'm the most important" said the Stomach.
While they were arguing, the Anus piped up, "All of you are stupid, I'm the most important member of the body!".

All the other parts of the body laughed. The anus didn't control anybody, didn't support anybody or feed anyone. He just cleaned up after everybody else. How can he be the most important?

Now the Anus was so indignant at the thought that he may not be the most important part of the body, he decided if he wasn't the best, nobody else will be. The Anus decided to stop doing his job. All the parts of the body were poisoned by the builtup shit, and the Stomach, Skeleton and Brain couldn't do their jobs under so much pain. After many weeks, the parts of the body voted unanimously that the Anus was the most important part of the body, and the Anus, content, went back to doing his job cleaning up after the others. And all was well again.

The point being, of course, that there is no prioritizing one member of society over another as they all do a necessary job. Also that you don't fuck with the Janitor.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
What an incredibly unsurprising result from the Escapist.

I chose the Entrepreneurs, as they're the ones that actually drive progress, create jobs, and give me mah precious vidya gaems.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Phrozenflame500 said:
Let me tell you a story:

The parts of the body were arguing with each other. They wanted to determine which part of the body was the most important.

"I control all of you, therefore I'm the most important" said the Brain.
"I support you all, therefore I'm the most important" said the Skeleton.
"I make sure nobody starves to death, therefore I'm the most important" said the Stomach.
While they were arguing, the Anus piped up, "All of you are stupid, I'm the most important member of the body!".

All the other parts of the body laughed. The anus didn't control anybody, didn't support anybody or feed anyone. He just cleaned up after everybody else. How can he be the most important?

Now the Anus was so indignant at the thought that he may not be the most important part of the body, he decided if he wasn't the best, nobody else will be. The Anus decided to stop doing his job. All the parts of the body were poisoned by the builtup shit, and the Stomach, Skeleton and Brain couldn't do their jobs under so much pain. After many weeks, the parts of the body voted unanimously that the Anus was the most important part of the body, and the Anus, content, went back to doing his job cleaning up after the others. And all was well again.

The point being, of course, that there is no prioritizing one member of society over another as they all do a necessary job. Also that you don't fuck with the Janitor.
QFT. I came in here to say that folks putting one job in keeping society afloat on a pedestal over all others is a problem with said society.

Also, it's usually either self-aggrandized ego-stroking or unwarranted hero-worship.

...so my answer to the poll is none of the above.

Additionally, there are many examples within all of those groups who are downright detrimental to society... some more than others... usually the greedy, the gullible and the bloodthirsty.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
In the grand scheme of things, everyone on the planet is equally important for reasons that vary wildly from person to person. Sometimes it's because of what one is doing and sometimes it's because of what one is capable of, but we all have equally important parts to play regardless of how significant or insignificant we may seem to ourselves and or others.