Poll: Who are you using in Dead Isand?

Synyster

Madman with a laptop
Jul 20, 2011
Logan is my fave, it's so satisfying to throw an electrified scythe into a zombie's head

Dark1Elder

May 16, 2011
I chose Sam B because he's the Blunt Weapon expert, and also with the tackle ability, and regeneration, he becomes the teams wanna be Ram.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
VsFighter said:
Sam B

I played Resident Evil 5 and said "This game needs more zombie face punchin'" Dead Island's Sam B scratches that itch.
Wow, even when you were playing as Chris Boulderpuch Redfield, you felt it needed more face punching? That sounds like a high Face Punching Quota.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Simple question really?

Are you using the disgraced ex-american football player Logan, the disgraced aussie ex-cop Purna, the one-hit wonder Sam B, the umm... dishonorable spy/cop Xian Mei.

I'm noting a pattern here....

After futzing around with the prologue with each character I settled into using Logan. There is something insanely satisfying about hucking things at zombies. From what I hear (i'm only like level 7) later in the game throwing things doesn't work out so well, so i'm also beefing up his blunt weapons a bit.
Actually that is the exact opposite of what you want to do (imo), you want to put points into exclusively throwing benefits, they getting pretty insane once you pick up most of the stuff in the combat tree and then getting boomerang in the survival. The bottom of the combo tree giving you an area of effect throw + increased throw criticals is insane, especially with modified weapons since the aoe bonus allows the weapon modification to proc on any of the zombies. I've had like 6 zombies in front of them and kill them all in one shot because my high voltage weapon mod manage to proc on one and thus proc on all of them.
You will be perpetually ineffectual in close range combat compared to the blunt and sharp weapons expert, and you just don't have enough stamina to take down any zombie with a straight up melee attack.

Logan is actually one of the weakest character up to like level 35, after that he bolts to the top of the group (assuming he is spec'd and played right), eventually as Logan you'll be dropping most of the zombies, including the specials without them ever coming near you. He does struggle a bit with humans since it is hard to get in throwing distance, but even then you can just kill a guy, grab his assault rifle and casually walk down the path headshotting everyone and instakilling them.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I went with Logan, I wasn't really wanting to go with two chicks with annoying voices, and I didn't like that Sam B had the least stamina I think it was.

So yeah, I chose Logan and when I got to do the fury ability, I knew I made the right choice.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
TheSaw said:
I went with Logan, I wasn't really wanting to go with two chicks with annoying voices, and I didn't like that Sam B had the least stamina I think it was.

So yeah, I chose Logan and when I got to do the fury ability, I knew I made the right choice.
Actually I think that Sam B has the most stam and Logan the least since the heavy 2h which Sam is supposed to use eat the most stam.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
Sam B. For one thing because I like to bust limbs and break heads rather than hope and pray to cut them off. Mostly though, it was because his story was the only one I could stand to listen to. We have stereotypical white douche-bag American, stereotypical Japanese Ninja/Samurai/Yakuza woman, stereotypical (BLACK) strong-willed woman trying to make it in a "man's world," and finally stereotypical washed up black American rapper who wants to get famous again to get "bitchez" and money.

I'm actually surprised Purna is tied with Logan, I cannot stand her accent, it sounds so forced I think that my head would explode if I found out it was a real Aussie accent.

OctoH

Feb 14, 2011
I chose Sam because I could actually relate to his story the best - I am also an aspiring rapper that likes to punch things and wear bandanas in a ridiculous fashion.

Seriously though, I picked Sam.

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
ace_of_something said:
Ghengis John said:
ace_of_something said:
.. dishonorable spy Xian Mei?
She's a Hong Kong cop. And probably the person of the four with the best moral compass. If anything I'd say she's a reluctant spy. But she seems pretty honorable.
She specifically says in her little bio that she's dishonorable, shaming the memory of her father is why i said that.
She does seem the least like a crazy person though.
It doesn't say she's dishonourable, it says she has dishonoured her father by being relegated to desk work when she learned that all the training was just a sham and that there was no all-female assassin squad. They were quite literally just there to look pretty.

You can't be dishonourable if you are dishonoured by external actions and forces. One is first person and one is second person.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Xian Mei. I chose her because she is a bladed person and plus it's the second or third time there has been an actual Asian who is "main" character in a video game. Who cares if she is the most stereotypical Asian women ever (yeah, she is the assassin character...I see what you did there)? Not I!

Actually...now that I think about it...every character in there is stereotypical. Not just the main characters either...

I'm probably going to play as the feminist whore Purma next and than Sam B...

I'll never play as Logan.

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
Started with Purna. Got to level 32. Got bored when the game started putting me in gunfights against humans.

Started over with Xian. Got discouraged when I realised how hard it is to find decent people for co-op.

Overall, I'd say Sam B is the best character. Blunt weapons are nice and he can take a beating. But he's just such a complete dick that I never want to play as him.

Logan is bloody useless.
If you are on the PS3 I would play with you... :D Problem is I can't ever seem to connect to people even when my settings are clearly Co-Op, PSN.

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Gralian said:
I'm currently using Xian; in part because i know everyone will be picking "that one white 'normal' dude" (Logan is the Francis of Dead Island, ain't he?) but also because her specialty are things that go slice. I like to slice.

No, but i generally find bladed weapons infinitely more satisfying than blunt weapons, but that may just be the sadist in me talking...

Well, that and i actually connected with her backstory a bit. Chinese female assassin squad falsely trained under the assumption they would be employed in real field work and were merely window dressing relegated to desk jobs? Yeah, considering China's human rights track record i have to say that isn't entirely unbelievable - they're not exactly the pinnacle of equality.

And besides, she's an Asian chick. Asian chicks are hot stuff.

And she has high heels. That makes those kicks super satisfying in a strange sort of way.
This, this, and this.

I have literally nothing to contribute after reading your post, so I can only offer my full support of it.

Although you did miss the key word, "Curb-stomp;" having 120 pounds of girl coming down on your face isn't half so scary til you know it's at the tip of a stiletto.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
I'm using Purna for my first play through; I'll likely go with Sam B. next.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
When I finished my first playthrough the game solo I used Sam B(I finished with lvl 38).

I started playing co-op with my friends and chose Xian now,but we haven't played much(got 'till lvl 11).

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
I picked Sam B first simply because no one in my group of friends wanted to use him. He seems to me like he may be the best person to use in a solo run though.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
I considered Xian Mei given that ammo and guns are almost certainly going to be rare and restricted and sharp weapons are reliably effective against zombies, but in the end I went with Purna, pulling out a sidearm as a fury technique is pretty usefull in tough spots, and devastating.