Poll: Who buys the condoms?

Kerboom

May 3, 2012
I'm bored, so I was just wondering, Escapists, (I'm also presuming the people answering this will be in heterosexual, exclusive relationships, because I'm in one, so it pertains to my life, sorry everybody else!)

If you're not in a relationship, but would like to answer anyway, who SHOULD buy them, in your opinion?

Depends on whose house we're in, to be honest.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I have no idea, but I just realised that one day I may have to actually buy condoms. Possibly within the next year.
Oh christ.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Weird suggestion: Buy some each, keep at respective houses, don't need to go shopping every time you feel horny.
Just my crazy branch of lateral thinking.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I think the best way to handle it is to have whoever's penis it's going on buy the condom. Condoms need to fit right to work properly. That or a woman could buy a female condom, but those are usually more expensive and harder to find.

Most of the people I know in exclusive heterosexual relationships don't use condoms, hormonal birth control is far more common.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Dags90 said:
I think the best way to handle it is to have whoever's penis it's going on buy the condom. Condoms need to fit right to work properly. That or a woman could buy a female condom, but those are usually more expensive.

Most of the people I know in exclusive heterosexual relationships don't use condoms, hormonal birth control is far more common.
Condoms are incredibly stretchy and you are unlikely to find them in more than two sizes (with the second size really only there to boost guy's egos. You could put a regular sized condom over your head. Nobody has a penis that large.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
manaman said:
Condoms are incredibly stretchy and you are unlikely to find them in more than two sizes (with the second size really only there to boost guy's egos. You could put a regular sized condom over your head. Nobody has a penis that large.
The length can be problematic for well endowed men. Condoms stretch outward fine, but not downward so much. Comfort is also a factor. A guy might not enjoy a condom with a tight base, but a loose base is no good either.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Condoms can be obtained for free from any GUM clinic, however I would say that everybody who is planning on (or sees the possibility that they may be) having sex, should keep a condom on them.

As for in a relationship... Depends on the couple in question, but I'd say take it in turns or share the expense. Safe sex is everyones responsibility.

The idea that it should be one partner or the others responsibility leads to situations like:

"Do you have any condoms?"
"Nope, you?"
"Nope."
"Risk it?"
"Yeah, risk it"

... Then STDs. Or worse - CSA payments.

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Guys.... since its their dick that needs covering.. but women can carry them too for emergency situations but i think the responsibility mostly falls on the men.

Balvale

Oct 17, 2008
I buy the condoms, she buys birth control. More or less we're each buying the prophylactics that pertain directly to us.

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Neither. Just go down the needle exchange, they're free.

EDIT:

Dags90 said:
A guy might not enjoy a condom with a tight base, but a loose base is no good either.
This is true, tight bases are uncomfortable, the only thing I want squeezing my dick when I'm having sex that isn't a woman...or her panties tied round really tight...*cough*

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Dags90 said:
manaman said:
The length can be problematic for well endowed men. Condoms stretch outward fine, but not downward so much. Comfort is also a factor. A guy might not enjoy a condom with a tight base, but a loose base is no good either.
I didn't say guys that do have problems with regular condoms don't exist, but those are very few and far between and not a normal worry, but a standard condom is between 7 and 8 inches long. I know the internet seems to be full of extremely well endowed young males but I can assure you that's not normal. Average does very by country, but not by much, and the overall average is between 5 and 6 inches. Through to be fair most people are bad at judging the size of a penis. They also haven't been able to consistently tie condom breakage rates with size.

Comfort isn't really a factor either (usually it's more imagined than anything) because of the latex's stretch resistance properties. The stretch resistance slowly ramps up. They can stretch quite a bit before they really start to resist stretching, which is what makes them feel tight. In fact more often that not people get the impression that the condom shouldn't stretch much and buy a larger size which offers no real stretch resistance and slips right off during sex.

.No.

Dec 29, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Dags90 said:
manaman said:
I'm sorry you were saying? I doubt many will be filling that any time soon.
I don't think anyone would WANT to fill that.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Dags90 said:
manaman said:
Yes, they CAN stretch to quite a large extent.

However, in practice, regular-sized condoms do not fit comfortably on larger penises, particularly the girthier ones.

The elastic restoring force increases at the latex is stretched - so the wider the opening is stretched, the stronger it bears down on the underlying tissue. The erect penis holds is shape primarily through hydrostatic pressure, and thus is quite compressible, and compression at any point will tend to increase the circumference through the rest of the length.

The net result is that, with larger-circumference penises, the base ring can significantly constrict the penis, making it quite difficult to unroll the ring beyond a certain point (and putting on a condom via any method other than unrolling the ring down the shaft is DOING IT WRONG, as it not unrolling it down the entire length of the penis). I've seen it happen.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Yeah they stretch lengthwise, the problem is there is getting enough force to get it to stretch lengthwise without using a car or your hands.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
You both go to the doctor, get an STD/I screen done. Then she takes the oral contraceptive pill or gets an implant. Then you bareback.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Who should buy them? I think it would be prudent for both men and women (single or in serious/exclusive relationships) to buy their favored brand of contraception and keep it handy in the bedroom/purse/wallet if something starts to happen. Being prepared can't hurt. Though I think both genders should try to carry condoms if they lean more towards casual coitus - since birth-control pills/lubricants aren't effective against STD's; unless you have 100% trust and confidence that the person you are sleeping with will not pass anything on to you.

As for my husband and I - it just depends on if we need them, and whoever is out and about at the time. He still gets mildly embarrassed for some reason, and I don't give a flying rats ass who sees me buying what.

Daggedawg

Dec 8, 2010
I usually buy them, since my girlfriend is too shy and awkward about it. We do tend to split the cost, however.

sumanoskae

Dec 7, 2007
I'd say, if you're sexually active it'z just a good idea to keep some around, whichever gender you are.