Poll: Who Do You Think is Best RPGs Between Bioware, Square Enix, and Bethesda?

prince_xedar

Aug 25, 2010
Defense said:
prince_xedar said:
Defense said:
Seanfall said:
Defense said:
Seanfall said:
Square Enix against Bioware and Bethesda? *bursts out laughing* Oh wait you were serious..i'll laugh even harder. *BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!*

That's just going by their latest 'masterpeices'. If we're going by body of work then yeah...it's more of a fair fight...kinda.

Edit: Incase I wasn't being clear the upper comments are both directed at Square.
Boring empty monotone open world-but-still-linear game versus mediocre "nonlinear" space opera third person shooter/mediocre "nonlinear" grimdark hack and slash?

Shit, Square Enix has some serious competition.
At least the Main character isn't a copy pasted self doubting emo git.
At least Square Enix games manage to be
fun.
But that's just my opinion.
mashing X(Or A for Xbox) is your idea of fun?
FFXIII was horrible
Make poor argument
Give opinion

Congratulations, you're a quality poster. No, I actually didn't use Auto-Battle because I wasn't a lazy bastard, and I had much more fun with it because I was pressured to choose my choices quickly and manage my team.

In any case, my experience was certainly more engaging than holding down RT.
it isnt just the combat system that makes FFXIII a terrible RPG. Its over halfway through the game before you are given any sort of freedom, you cant even choose your combat team until chapter 9, that isnt very RPGish is it? Also the characters arent very engaging, You have Captain Douchebag, Stone Lady, Cry Baby, and the Australians. Oh and Sazh, but ill exclude him from this, because he atleast has some personality

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Bioware.

Bethesda makes good sandboxes but fail at npc interactions and storytelling.

Square Enix can write decent stories and characters (but have been steadily going downhill imo), but the games themselves become more and more boring and linear (story may be nice, but playing the game in order to get to it is a chore instead of fun).

Bioware however, does awesome characters (altough they have their misses as well), interesting worlds, good storylines and have decent playability on top of it.
Altough i admit that with the total disaster of DA2, and slight dissapointment of MA2 i have worries about them as well, hopefully SW:TOR and ME3 will blow me away and restore my confidence in my favorite game developer.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
prince_xedar said:
Defense said:
prince_xedar said:
Defense said:
Seanfall said:
Defense said:
Seanfall said:
Square Enix against Bioware and Bethesda? *bursts out laughing* Oh wait you were serious..i'll laugh even harder. *BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!*

That's just going by their latest 'masterpeices'. If we're going by body of work then yeah...it's more of a fair fight...kinda.

Edit: Incase I wasn't being clear the upper comments are both directed at Square.
Boring empty monotone open world-but-still-linear game versus mediocre "nonlinear" space opera third person shooter/mediocre "nonlinear" grimdark hack and slash?

Shit, Square Enix has some serious competition.
At least the Main character isn't a copy pasted self doubting emo git.
At least Square Enix games manage to be
fun.
But that's just my opinion.
mashing X(Or A for Xbox) is your idea of fun?
FFXIII was horrible
Make poor argument
Give opinion

Congratulations, you're a quality poster. No, I actually didn't use Auto-Battle because I wasn't a lazy bastard, and I had much more fun with it because I was pressured to choose my choices quickly and manage my team.

In any case, my experience was certainly more engaging than holding down RT.
it isnt just the combat system that makes FFXIII a terrible RPG. Its over halfway through the game before you are given any sort of freedom, you cant even choose your combat team until chapter 9, that isnt very RPGish is it? Also the characters arent very engaging, You have Captain Douchebag, Stone Lady, Cry Baby, and the Australians. Oh and Sazh, but ill exclude him from this, because he atleast has some personality
I never mentioned anything about it being an RPG. Stop spouting that linearity bullshit please, because it actually works considering the narrative of the game. You're not supposed to take your time on Cocoon considering you're hated and hunted by everyone. Bethesda games and recent Bioware games are just as linear, the only difference being that they give you a choice that doesn't have any impact.

Also, that's your opinion. I didn't care for any character in any Bethesda or Bioware game(except Garrus), but I liked the cast of FFXIII overall despite the archetype being done before.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
for sheer enjoyment, i would go with bioware as i have re-played their titles far more than i have bethesdas.

but for sheer freedom, bethesda takes the cake.

square enix sucks imo.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
ChupathingyX said:
Rooster Cogburn said:
ChupathingyX said:
Please point out the choice in Oblivion's main quest, because I didn't see it. Also pease show me the choice in the main guilds in Oblivion too
You don't even have to play that shit. At all. You're thinking too small. This is lost somewhat in Oblivion, but Elder Scrolls games give you a shit ton of content so you can play different characters and tackle different challenges. In Morrowind, for example, you couldn't even complete the guild quests at all unless you were actually strong in the appropriate areas. You arrive in a big world with lots to do. GO. That's actual meaningful choice. Not just swapping out cut scenes. And because your choice of character actually changes the game play, you can experience the same main quest many different ways.
Well you pretty much just avoided my question there, however, I never said the guilds in Morrowind were bad, I was only talking about Oblivion. Once again you avoided my question and tried to chnage the subject.
Your question could easily have been interpreted as rhetorical, as there is only one obvious answer. There is no story-line choice in the main quest in Oblivion. I chose to address the issue I thought you were driving at rather than answer your apparently rhetorical question. I brought up Morrowind because I thought doing so helped explain what I was trying to say about making choices in Oblivion
Outside of being convenient at the moment for anyone who doesn't like Bethesda, that doesn't make sense. It sounds insecure, actually. We can make inferences based on what we know of unfinished projects to rate a developer. If I thought Bethesda was doing something absolutely pig-headed with Skyrim, it would obviously influence my opinion of them as RPG developers. If that were the case, I doubt people who don't like Bethesda would be saying "unreleased projects don't count". They have announced a lot of very well thought out and positive changes to their Elder Scrolls formula, so they're getting good marks from me. >dealwithit.jpeg
It makes perfect sense: Skyrim has not been released so we don't know if it will be good or bad, whether it will have a lot of choice or not, whether the writing will be good or the story.

And no it isn't being insecure, I'm hoping that Skyrim will be good, I really want it to be. However, it hasn't been released yet so I can't judge t and I'm not the kind to blindly follow hype.
It's true we don't know if it will be good or bad, but that doesn't mean we cannot approve or disapprove of the direction they seem to be taking the series. If they told me Skyrim was going to be an Asteroid clone with a fantasy theme, I personally wouldn't be saying "well, let's just wait and see". I'd be calling them completely batshit bonkers.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Bioware gets my vote.

Bethesda releases games that are good, but they are buggy as all hell, and they never get fixed until the community does it.

Square Enix used to make good games back when I was in grade school. That was some 15 years ago. Almost every RPG they produce any more is nothing but shit.

Bioware although they have slipped into their games as of late, at least they still their game world insane amount of character and depth. That and their games don't crash when I enter combat, enter a room, run too fast between cells .. you get the point.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Depends.. BioWare used to make A-M-A-Z-I-N-G RPGs, but lately, I'm not so sure. No doubt Mass Effect is good, but as an RPG, I wouldn't say so, not compared to Fallout and Oblivion. Voted Bethesda.

Ventilator89

Jun 25, 2011
I'll vote for bioware. oblivion and morrowind I never really enjoyed, their story lines are pretty meh, and the combat wasn't my thing. doesn't mean I wont try skyrim thought =)

Captcha- in the box

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Bioware and Bethesda are pretty much tied in my book. Bioware games have better stories and writing, and Bethesda games have better immersion.

But I'll say Bioware because the gameplay of their games is generally more enjoyable on a minute-to-minute basis. And the storylines have more emotional impact.

I absolutely love Bethesda too, though. And I like Square in general, but they're really not what they used to be. Final Fantasy XIII and XIV sucked. Unless you count Deus Ex 3 as a Square Enix game (and I don't), they're not even in the race anymore.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
Defense said:
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Dragon Age - One of the worst games I've ever played.
Mass Effect - Too boring to get into.
Oblivion - Too boring to get into.
Fallout 3 - Amazing.
Star Ocean - Too boring/bad to get into.
Final Fantasy 7, 10, 12 - Great.
Final Fantasy 1, 13 - Decent.
Final Fantasy 8 - Too boring.

I guess I'll go with Square Enix since I can actually play their games without falling asleep. Well, Final Fantasy at least...

GSC Game World is by far the best.
You consider Mass Effect and Dragon Age bad, while you consider Final Fantasy great/decent...
wow, i need to lay down.
JamesStone said:
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Fallout 3 - Amazing.

I guess I'll go with Square Enix since I can actually play their games without falling asleep. Well, Final Fantasy at least...

You consider Mass Effect and Dragon Age bad, while you consider Final Fantasy great/decent...
wow, i need to lay down.
Lay down? Dude, this guy needs to go to the hospital. I think is brain is starting to rot.
There's nothing wrong with the list, Square games were always much more fun than Bioware games, even if they weren't as deep.

Soooooo, you think that Final Fantasy can´t put someone to sleep? Even 7 had the falling asleep label, and seriously 13, decent? That wasn´t a game that was a interactive film.

quoting someone that everyone on the Escapist know:"Someone told me that FF13 get´s good about 20 hours in, but that´s not really a point on it´s favor. Put your hand on a oven for 20 hours and you´re probably stop feeling the pain but you´ve done serious damage to yourself"

Sm0gg

Aug 20, 2009
Well, I loved Just Cause 2, Mass Effect 2, DAO, Fallout3 & NV (although the bugs are maddening & ruin immersion) So I gotta say all three have made games i love.
ME2 is probably my favorite RPG of all time tho.

Eduku

Sep 11, 2010
JamesStone said:
Defense said:
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Fallout 3 - Amazing.

wow, i need to lay down.
JamesStone said:
Guillermo Gonzalez said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Lets see here...
Fallout 3 - Amazing.

wow, i need to lay down.
Lay down? Dude, this guy needs to go to the hospital. I think is brain is starting to rot.
There's nothing wrong with the list, Square games were always much more fun than Bioware games, even if they weren't as deep.

Soooooo, you think that Final Fantasy can´t put someone to sleep? Even 7 had the falling asleep label, and seriously 13, decent? That wasn´t a game that was a interactive film.

quoting someone that everyone on the Escapist know:"Someone told me that FF13 get´s good about 20 hours in, but that´s not really a point on it´s favor. Put your hand on a oven for 20 hours and you´re probably stop feeling the pain but you´ve done serious damage to yourself"
Well god forbid if someone has a different opinion than you. Seriously, if people are intelligent enough to post on a forum, they should be intelligent enough to understand what an opinion is.

OT: I like all of them, JRPGs and WRPGs both. I have phases, so sometimes I'll want to play JRPGs for ages at a time and sometimes WRPGs. At the moment I tend towards Bioware more since I have a backlog of DA and ME to complete, but I suspect that will change when Skyrim comes out.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
JamesStone said:
I never said that, but most WRPGs I played have boring combat. It's either D&D hacky slashy team based combat or a crappy cover based third person shooter.

And yes, 13 was decent as a game. It's just slightly more linear than Mass Effect 2, if only because about 5% of choices in Mass Effect 2 actually matter. The only difference is that it makes sense in Final Fantasy 13. Mass Effect 2 is corridor TPS with chest high walls everywhere, by coincidence.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Had to be Bethesda.

As much as I enjoyed Bioware games the sheer amount of modding an extra content you can make for Bethesda games is unreal.

I get far more hours out of those than Bioware games.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I love the Elder Scrolls universe. Morrowind was my first high fantasy RPG and I've been a huge fan ever since. My vote is for Bethesda.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
holy crap, is this some thread necro or what? Anyway, I think I voted for BioWare, despite DA2 disappointing, though Bethesda was very close. Square however is still on a personal embargo, after killing JRPGs for me with The Last Remnant and FF13. That being said, I do think I'll have to buy Deus Ex, though I think I can wait a week or so and get it used, just because I am that petty.

Also, wow, I stand by a statement I said a while ago, RPG fans really are the worst fanbase there is. Say what you will about CoD fans, atleast they just shut up and enjoy their games. You guys are all fans of the same genre and you can't agree on shit.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Wow that was a tough one. Answer at the bottom for the tl;dr.

All three of those companies have great things about their own ways of doing RPGs.

Bethesda - What I love about these guys is they make very big worlds to explore with lots of side quests. Most of them implement a "karma" system of some kind: The Elder Scrolls has the Fame/Infamy thing going on for it that has effects on what side quests you can do and how different people will react to you. Fallout pretty much has the same thing with "karma" but mostly affects your ending if anything. But Bethesda has the problem for me that the story isn't very engaging. I can spend hours just traversing the dungeons, caves and forests of Cyrodiil and forget I'm suppose to be stopping the world from ending.

Square Enix - These guys are pretty much the biggest reason that the JRPG exists in the West and they rightly earn bragging rights to say they have one of the best known gaming series in the world, never mind just among RPG fans. What these guys do and do well is stories. Their games always remind you there is a reason you're fighting and throw in some pretty memorable characters. In later years, they've shown that they are among the masters of cinematography in gaming to the point they released a sequel to Final Fantasy VII as a movie. A pretty damn confusing movie if you don't own a Blu-Ray player but still a very pretty one. But they lack in one area. Side quests are very fun but they really put much of an emphasis on them. They're really only there for the people who look for them. Except in Dragon Quest... definitely there they're not. But even then, they don't have that appeal that Bethesda have. They don't really have much of a impact on anything. Whilst Fallout has side quests that a very engaging and lets you meet new people who will give you a helping hand, Final Fantasy and the like really only just have enough that make you want to play them and it's usually just "Go here, kill 10 of that and come back and I'll give you money".

Bioware - I think these guys have got the mid ground between these. Great stories with some great optional quests on the side. But they still feel some how as important as the story missions and quite often as fun. There are usually optional endings and now we have started seeing that these endings aren't just for the sake of seeing how things will play out. Transferring your save from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2 would really show just how much your actions matter by opening up new quests and dialogue options. It's a truly fun game to play through twice just to see how different you can make things.

tl;dr I chose Bioware because of how much you can experiment with the story.

Stalydan

Mar 18, 2011
Wayneguard said:
I love the Elder Scrolls universe. Morrowind was my first high fantasy RPG and I've been a huge fan ever since. My vote is for Bethesda.
Quick question, will you be buying the Skyrim Collector's Edition? Or do you think the price is too high?

caviar1

Sep 23, 2010
i think what he means is that there's not much dialogue variety/choice. i would still disagree though, bethesda makes games of the year every time they step on the field