Poll: Who else is a little depressed about the content loss?

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
I think Archon came in and gave something of a state of the mag address a little while ago in the forums, giving a fairly general outline of what was being shot for, but yeah, I think even a twitter or some kind of what's happening temporary sticky in the forums (with a link on the main page) to announce content changes on the site, especially with how much things have been changing so rapidly recently would be good. For example, I only know Archon hired a new woman to take over as gaming editor from a post on the GG thread. So someone who doesn't follow twitter or GG wouldn't have heard.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Let's add Robert Rath, the man behind Critical Intel, to the list.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/RobWritesPulp/status/570034400173252608]

Jesus Christ, the amount of great content this site has lost in the past few years.

TheLastSandwich

They call me Blues
Sep 18, 2014
I see this as an opportunity for more talent. I think other than Yahtzee everyone was becoming kind of stale.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm kinda depressed, seeing as a lot of my favorite shows are gone... but hopefully there's still room for new stuff in the future... right? Right?

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
James Nettum said:
I'm very upset, and I'm not sure what's worse; the lose of content, or the failure of the Escapist to officially address it. They are keeping their readers in the dark while they lose content, which looks very bad (in my opinion).
If you may permit me to be hysterical for a moment.

I think their unwillingness to positively state what's going on besides a bland, general PR statement is pretty good proof they don't have much positive to say. How can one actually dress up the loss of so much content with nothing notable replacing it (apart from somebody the community doesn't want) as anything good? "Restructuring" will only get you so far.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Spentzar said:
Without comparing anybody's struggle to anybody else's, you don't need a degree in social science to figure out that since one of the people in our group is a Jew, six are people of color, two were born handicapped and like someteen are bisexual women it would be shooting ourselves in the foot if we were, hypothetically, to make money for a company that would then give that money to an actively anti-semitic, racist, ableist, sexist or homophobic person.

Those are some pretty hefty accusations to throw around based on one tweet.
They weren't calling him anti-semitic, racist, ableist or sexist. They were stating that since they were a progressive group intent on inclusivity it would be hypocritical of them to contribute to a company that pays someone who displays any of those traits. They are saying he appears to be transphobic and homophobic. Given his blog and tweets, it's not off the mark.

Spentzar

Sep 22, 2014
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
First off I said lets not speak of Mr.Morse in my Original post! Stop trying to get this thread locked.

That said: He did say he believes that homosexuality is a choice, which most homosexuals will say is a homophobic thing to say. Either way he's made consistent statements that verge on the homophobic and transphobic. Now DROP it.

Back on topic: As excited as I am for Lilian K it'll never bring back Uncivil War.
Getting the thread locked is the last thing on my mind actually, I was just voicing my opinion on the discrepancy.

You also can't voice your opinion to dismiss mine and then say I shouldn't respond. That's intellectually dishonest you know ;)

But I'll drop it for the sake of not ruffling feathers, because my opinion is clearly the controversial one. Asking for more than a tweet to crucify a man is heresy, apparently.

Mar 30, 2010
Most of the featured content I came here for is now gone. That's just a fact. However, that's not to say the new content isn't worth the odd look (unless it's one of those completely pointless 'top 10', 'top 8' or 'top 5' lists that have absolutely no discussion value or journalistic insight in them what-so-ever). Has the Escapist changed noticeably over the last six months? Yeah. Has this change been for the better or for the worse? Jury's still out on that one. Like I say, the rise of 'Top #' articles over considered, well thought out discussion pieces is a worrying trend, but I'll reserve judgement for the time being.

Actually that's a lie. I'm pretty much convinced The Escapist is rapidly losing what made it unique and stimulating to visit but am still willing to give the new crew a shot. After all, corporate does always not mean bad. 98% of the time it means bad, but I guess there's always room for that two percent.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
I'm always sad to see staff turnover. However, I'm seeing some of the stuff that could be upcoming. People making pitches. Whispers about new projects. Assuming the new content isn't rubbish, the Escapist become a very unique site. I'm a big fan of these forums, too. Lots of good people. And even if the staff change, you've still got a community of people.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm sad, but still kind of hopeful for the future.

That, and my main draw has been the forums for a very long time. I guess I'm a bit of an odd one.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Spentzar said:
You're being told to drop it because this thread isn't about those discussions. Find or make another thread about the issue if you want to talk about it further.

OT:
Yeah, I'm really disappointed at the loss of content. This site feels like it's spiraling the drain and no one in power is in a position to stop the steady decline into entropy.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Depressed? Not really. The thing bothering me about the site now is not really the content loss, it's more what that content loss appears to be emblematic of. If (and, more likely, when) I leave it's really only going to be the forums I miss, and even those are pretty hit or miss.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Kajin said:
Spentzar said:
You're being told to drop it because this thread isn't about those discussions. Find or make another thread about the issue if you want to talk about it further.

OT:
Yeah, I'm really disappointed at the loss of content. This site feels like it's spiraling the drain and no one in power is in a position to stop the steady decline into entropy.
There won't be entropy if Archon continues to hire new people. It's not as though the content stream will dry up. The problem is whether the content will be good. There are some promising indications, but too soon to say for sure.

I'm thinking that Escapist will end up attracting people who were discriminated against in some way. Now this doesn't automatically mean a stream of disgruntled GamerGater writers and creators signing up. But certainly I can see people who've been shut out of the scene due to political disagreements or feuds pitching to Escapist. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Perez, for example, became a freelancer. Oliver B. Campbell has apparently agreed to freelance. I don't want too see him become Escapists' token black guy, but he is someone I'd consider marginalised by the mainstream games journalism scene.

Iklwa

Jan 27, 2010
I used to really love Escape to the Movies/the Big Picture, but to me it seemed as though both shows became not much more than soapboxes for his political views. Take it to twitter or something man, I come to the Escapist for games, movies, and shows.

Moving on, Jim leaving took my completely by surprise. I really liked him. Not his first few episodes, sure, but once he hit his form I liked him. But yes, the Escapist does seem to have a habit of letting good people go for eh reasons:

1. Extra Credits
2. Lisa Foiles
3. Game Dogs (I kid, I kid)

And finally, am I the only one who remembers/misses Rebecca Mayes?

Come back, Rebecca...come back.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
TheLastSandwich said:
I see this as an opportunity for more talent. I think other than Yahtzee everyone was becoming kind of stale.
Oh sweet machine god, SO MUCH THIS.

So much of the featured content of late has felt like 'I'm a featured contributor, worship me!' veiled snipe, veiled snipe, disparage audience. Bob on his soapbox, Jim going off half-cocked and taking it so far OTT that he may as well have just been playing it straight, as much as I wanted to visit more, there was literally nothing apart from ZP and EP which was worth the time.

And it's not like we're witnessing the last of the damn elves leave for the undying lands either. ZP started with nothing but Yahtzee ranting and some paper cut-outs on youtube, after all.

A good idea, a pitch and a sample. That roster could easily be filled with all KINDS of exciting new content within the fortnight. It could be you! It could be me!

In fact fuckit, brb, gonna have a crack at it.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
I would love to write about the N64 and its games. Even if there are only 350 or so of them.

But I'm kind of unreliable and also...

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Ambient_Malice said:
I'm thinking that Escapist will end up attracting people who were discriminated against in some way. Now this doesn't automatically mean a stream of disgruntled GamerGater writers and creators signing up. But certainly I can see people who've been shut out of the scene due to political disagreements or feuds pitching to Escapist. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan Perez, for example, became a freelancer. Oliver B. Campbell has apparently agreed to freelance. I don't want too see him become Escapists' token black guy, but he is someone I'd consider marginalised by the mainstream games journalism scene.
I'm starting to get suspicious of the "shift" in ahem "poltics" 'round here...

like I don't think its conspiracy level stuff but...ehhh

Apr 17, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Let's add Robert Rath, the man behind Critical Intel, to the list.

[Tweet t=https://twitter.com/RobWritesPulp/status/570034400173252608]

Jesus Christ, the amount of great content this site has lost in the past few years.
Aww, what? Critical Intel was one of the few articles I'd consistently click on and read. Even if it was on a subject I didn't care for much they were always interesting and well-written

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Ugh. To be honest, I've been visiting the site a lot less lately, and the loss of a lot of my favorite content creators is not exactly changing that notion. I used to come here a lot and post on a daily basis in some months, and even wanted to write for it eventually, but not like this. The name may be the same and a few fixtures remain, but the site today has a lot less in common with the site that I fell in love with than it did even a few months ago. I'm not getting any good vibes from the recent shifts either.