Poll: Who else is excited for the proposition of new/different Escapist content?

Zahri

Dec 15, 2008
This is in contrast to the topic asking for the opposite, since that one seems to be almost nothing but people doing nothing but waving the "I'm done here" flag.

There have been losses yes, but there are new voices being given a platform here now. What's more, the new EIC has more or less said they're gonna approach Escapist content from a more "about the games, less politics" stance.

I'm cautiously optimistic here, personally. More emphasis on optimistic as things written by Lizzy/Oliver Campbell have been a pleasure for me to read as of late.

Anyways, who else is excited?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Somewhat.

High hopes, low expectations.
But that's just how I roll.

I want all these things to be good, but I'm not really gonna care if they're not.
And though I don't agree with the `less politics` thing, because I don't think it will work at all, I guess it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
The idea of less politics is certainly an interesting one. Political/gender discussion in video game culture is important and worthy of discourse (even though I don't care for it myself), but there is a time and place for it and cramming it into every bloody thread and topic just isn't that. So that could be a good thing.

I wasn't really invested in any of the previous Escapist content, so maybe the new stuff will draw me in where the predecessors failed? So I wouldn't say I'm excited. More curious.

Though if at the end of the day the "no politics" goal is abandoned, then it should prove amusing at least due to that controversial dude they recently hired. If he starts bringing his personal beliefs up, then there ought to be some entertaining shit storms on the horizon, if nothing else.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Though if at the end of the day the "no politics" goal is abandoned, then it should prove amusing at least due to that controversial dude they recently hired. If he starts bringing his personal beliefs up, then there ought to be some entertaining shit storms on the horizon, if nothing else.
Remember when Yahtzee made a transgender joke in one of his videos, and quickly had to edit it out? The comments thread spiralled into a 20 page shitstorm of flaming.

That should give you some idea of how potentially shitstormy this new guy's opinions and beliefs are.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
BathorysGraveland2 said:
The idea of less politics is certainly an interesting one. Political/gender discussion in video game culture is important and worthy of discourse (even though I don't care for it myself), but there is a time and place for it and cramming it into every bloody thread and topic just isn't that. So that could be a good thing.

I wasn't really invested in any of the previous Escapist content, so maybe the new stuff will draw me in where the predecessors failed? So I wouldn't say I'm excited. More curious.

I really don't care at about video game politics but if others want to talk about thats fine. However if it is the only thing talked about than that is annoying. Errr how shall we say, in a previous era the fires of outrage were stoked to often instead of pouring oil on troubled waters.

I think if the new staff are smart they will not use the Escapist as their own personal bully pulpit, it didn't end well for those that did.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
IceForce said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:
Remember when Yahtzee made a transgender joke in one of his videos, and quickly had to edit it out? The comments thread spiralled into a 20 page shitstorm of flaming.

That should give you some idea of how potentially shitstormy this new guy's opinions and beliefs are.
Are you referring to the Papers please vid or was it a different one?

OT: I'm cautiously optimistic, however I don't like how the new fella is driving people away without even having yet set foot in the place.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
I talked to a guy on twitter who does a metal/music show on YT and is gonna pitch something to Escapist along the lines of a gaming music show. Be very interested to see if he gets a gig going.

Also, I heard some whispers about some sort of animated show coming to Escapist? No idea about the specifics, though.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zahri said:
There have been losses yes, but there are new voices being given a platform here now. What's more, the new EIC has more or less said they're gonna approach Escapist content from a more "about the games, less politics" stance.
ed?
yeeeeeep

by recruiting people who are very firmly settled in "one camp", no "politics" my ass

its clear whats happening...Escapist is pandering to GG

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Darks63 said:
IceForce said:
BathorysGraveland2 said:

Are you referring to the Papers please vid or was it a different one?
That's the one. Also had Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons in the same video.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.825922-Zero-Punctuation-Papers-Please-and-Brothers-A-Tale-of-Two-Sons?page=15

And I must correct myself, it was only 15 pages, not the full 20.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Vault101 said:
Zahri said:
ed?
yeeeeeep

by recruiting people who are very firmly settled in "one camp", no "politics" my ass

its clear whats happening...Escapist is pandering to GG
Might I point out that they've got open submissions? Anyone can submit a pitch for consideration. If people are concerned about the site becoming politically unbalanced, why not offer their services?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Unless I'm missing something, the only content I know we're getting is something about cosplay.

I'm hoping it's design and patternmaking stuff. Has there been any news about what is actually being delivered?

(Edit) OT: I put down 'nope' ... not because of Morse (though I am reasonably skeptical about it), but because I hardly know what's coming as there hasn't been the usual hoopla associated with the introduction of new content. It's usually a given that there was the usual song and dance of introductions prior the debut of content in the past.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
PaulH said:
Unless I'm missing something, the only content I know we're getting is something about cosplay.

I'm hoping it's design and patternmaking. Has there been any news about what is actually being delivered?
That's correct. Liana K.'s cosplay thing is the 100% confirmed bit of content. There is other stuff, but it's under wraps. Archon and the gang are also taking submissions and making offers - which ones get the green light remain to be seen.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Ambient_Malice said:
PaulH said:

I'm hoping it's design and patternmaking. Has there been any news about what is actually being delivered?
That's correct. Liana K.'s cosplay thing is the 100% confirmed bit of content. There is other stuff, but it's under wraps. Archon and the gang are also taking submissions and making offers - which ones get the green light remain to be seen.
I'd like to see consumer advocacy stuff, personally. Given the growth of digital distribution and how hard it is to return a DD game, I'd like to see some content that actually talks about games, for potential perusal by gamers of all stripes, so that gamers can be better informed prior their purchase.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
PaulH said:
Ambient_Malice said:
PaulH said:

I'd like to see consumer advocacy stuff, personally. Given the growth of digital distribution and how hard it is to return a DD game, I'd like to see some content that actually talks about games, for potential perusal by gamers of all stripes, so that gamers can be better informed prior their purchase.
I hope Escapist can strike a balance with this new apolitical mentality. I like to think that when they say they intend to avoid politics, they're gonna shy away from "IS TRAYVON MARTIN AN NPC IN WATCH DOGS"-grade sensationalism. Heck, if The Escapist could give us solid, fact-based coverage of Ubisoft games compared to the gossipy, speculative stuff that the rest of the scene goes for, it'd be a massive benefit. For the consumers, give solid coverage of new DRM schemes that stick to hard data and avoid "random NeoGAF user cited a Russian forum that claimed it damages SSDs"-style stuff.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Ambient_Malice said:
I hope Escapist can strike a balance with this new apolitical mentality. I like to think that when they say they intend to avoid politics, they're gonna shy away from "IS TRAYVON MARTIN AN NPC IN WATCH DOGS"-grade sensationalism. Heck, if The Escapist could give us solid, fact-based coverage of Ubisoft games compared to the gossipy, speculative stuff that the rest of the scene goes for, it'd be a massive benefit. For the consumers, give solid coverage of new DRM schemes that stick to hard data and avoid "random NeoGAF user cited a Russian forum that claimed it damages SSDs"-style stuff.
Well, I doubt that 'apolitical' is what the Escapist is going for, but I'll reserve my judgement till actual content is confirmed and delivered.

But I also think, imho, that apolitical should focus on gamers being the most important piece of the market dynamic. I don't think it's bad if a game has a poor representatioon of gay people that could affect the enjoyment of a gay gamer of that game, to actual say 'You may not enjoy this game because of this' ... I don't see how that's 'political'. Why should we fork out money on a game that we would never have done so if so forewarned? It's about as political as the basic premise; "buyer beware."

A better example is the movie 'Dealing in Dallas' ... I didn't fork over money to watch it, because Jared Leto in drag is not my idea of a trans woman, and any doubts to my resolve or measure of my tolerance for it certainly went out the window with his actions afterwards. Would I beable to make this judgement if the actors or anyinformation about the movie was kept barred from me? Of course not. Thus I can't exercise my voting with my wallet.

Not that it really mattered because the Academy gave him an award for it, despite his poor portrayal of trans women as anything more than clothes obssessed and him seemingly lying about even seeking consultation with trans women to illuminate how he should play the role. Whilst this may seem trivial to people, just remember that Hattie McDaniel's role in 'Gone with the Wind' (1939) was lauded back in the day, and I doubt most people would support such representation now

Tastes change, and so do sensibilities.

Regardless, the second part of my grievances is political ... the first half isn't so much, unless we consider the basic idea of people being able to vote with their wallets and talk about their purchasing power is considered political. Thing is, I do not like emotivism. I like metaphysics ... metaphysics keeps things real.

There is a way (and indeed I think it would be healthy) to treat gamers as both a culture, yet still make room for the necessary talk about sexuality and identity aspects of games that DO impede the enjoyment of said games by specific gamers. I think we're grown up enough to accept that, and I think we're grown up to discuss how gamers should have the power to determine which games they want to support and not support.

You can only do that with information. And that information should be available. As it is with other artistic mediums. I don't see how we can't have this necessary adult discussion without identity politics and condemnation of either side of the multiplicity of fences that gamers occupy.

The thing is, that it seems only video games sffer this in the gaming world. You don't get such discussions abounding in pen and paper rpgs... certain games are bad, we know to avoid them if we won't enjoy playing them ... but why is an identity heavy gaming genre (like tabletop rpgs) seem so less embattled than videogames in this regards? Certainly there are bad representations of race, sexuality and gender in Rpgs, but as an avid P&P gamer, I've found them far less deleterious to my sanity than videogame discourses.

So I think the natural step forward is to discuss consumer advocacy as it pertains to all gamers. All gamers. Equally. And I think we need to be mature enough to accept that consumer advocacy is something that we should all have equal rights owning.

Jan 12, 2012
Ambient_Malice said:
I talked to a guy on twitter who does a metal/music show on YT and is gonna pitch something to Escapist along the lines of a gaming music show. Be very interested to see if he gets a gig going.
Out with the old Gavin, in with the new one, eh? I'd be happy to see something like that come back here. What's his show on YT called?

OT: I'm very excited. I disagree with people saying that "apolitical" means "pro-GG" or "won't talk about anything"; I'm really sad to see Robert Rath go, but his column was a perfect example of how to write an opinion piece, something that had value in what it was saying without being used to talk down to or degrade individuals. Liana's work on MetalEater showed that she has the chops to write similar stuff, and I hope that the Escapist will offer her the opportunity to expand beyond the one show.

And if not, just have Shamus write 5 pieces a week.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
It's hard to be excited when there's not much to be excited over yet, we've only got one confirmed content producer, who we have no idea what the quality of the new show is going to even be yet. It's not even totally gaming related either, so forgive me for not being ecstatic over a single content producer who's not even talking about one of the main facets of the site. That's not a knock against her personally, her show may be great, but it doesn't look like they are setting her up as a major gaming contributor, which is what the site desperately needs right now. Anything else is speculation and hopeful optimism at this point.

The "a-political" comments are just empty PR speak until we get more information on what exactly that means, it doesn't have any more weight to it right now than when EA says it wants to be a better company, or when a AAA publisher talks about "going in a new direction", or "broadening the audience", it's basically just words without meaning at the moment. The people clamoring for it meaning that the site will focus on gamers and gaming seem to forget that's pretty much what the site already did apart from Moviebob's random ranting, that was almost all on Twitter anyway, the site already barely addressed gamers directly before this "new stance". Mr. Young and Rath certainly never did anything like what people are describing, and even Jim had only 3 or so videos that directly described things like, "hey, don't harass people online". So this new direction means almost jack dick for 99% of what the site already was, people seem to forget that 99% of the politics was coming from the forums, not the site contributors, this new direction won't do squat to stop the Anita and various political topics on the forums. Maybe it will mean something substantial, but until I see results, I will treat the statement like all the other corporate PR I hear meant to assuage upset consumers without actually going through the effort to change anything.

Is it all doom and gloom? That's a bit early, personally, I don't think the site will ever return to its heyday, the nature of the internet has just changed too much to make the old model viable. That doesn't mean the new content won't be good, it just won't quite reach the levels of traffic and interest it did from 5 or so years ago, so I'm not exactly excited, but I am not saying this is the end either.

TL;DR: It's still too early to really justify either excitement or doom-saying, let's actually see what this new content is first.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I want more content on the escapist and im one of those who were happy some of the old one was cut. Though loosing MOS is truly sad.

IceForce said:
the thread talking about them got locked at page 9 because a certain few users decided to burn theire accounts in insult glory.

I dread to think how it would be now if it wasnt locked.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I will wait and see. That Chloe girl might provide something interesting, or something I don't give a crap about (like her current youtube content). Same with Liana. Brandon... Is Brandon. We will see how that turns out. Enough has been said about that situation. Don't know how that Lisa chick is going to do anything, as she doesn't appear to have any experience with video-content and her writing experience seems to just be limited to blog-posts on her personal blog about everyone needs to stop attacking the poor gamers because she has a kid, or something. So, no real hopes that any of the new content will be any good/interesting, honestly.

I have heard rumors, though, that we are getting a new column from a movie critic popular on the forums. I am going definitely going to be looking forward to that. :D