Poll: Who else is excited for the proposition of new/different Escapist content?

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
I'm cautiously optimistic. New isn't always good but it can be. Also many people don't create their best work the first time up. If the first few contributions by these new writers are sub-par, please don't act like spoiled children. Keep criticism constructive to encourage improvement.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Looks like the Escapist is correcting course. Sad at some of the content creators we've lost but happy for the prospect of what's to come. Looks like we're about to enter a pro-gamer gaming website. What a novel concept that I won't get shit on by the companies whose products I consume like this site.

It will be especially nice to see it de-politicized. It's been a nuts couple of years but something is finally being done.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
New, different Escapist content would be nice, if it was new and different in good ways.

Removing political or social commentary from discussion, though, is the opposite of what I want, really. Social criticism plays a part in the development of every art form. I don't think it'll do the art any good if we focus purely on the mechanical aspects of it. Story is a huge part of the experience for me.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Silvanus said:
New, different Escapist content would be nice, if it was new and different in good ways.

Removing political or social commentary from discussion, though, is the opposite of what I want, really. Social criticism plays a part in the development of every art form. I don't think it'll do the art any good if we focus purely on the mechanical aspects of it. Story is a huge part of the experience for me.
If it's (political/social commentary) going to remain it just needs to be more balanced. Differing opinions and consideration of the other side would make it wonderful. I don't care what the topic is, whether I agree with it or not I'd love to see other considerations and positions being expressed so that I can learn from what I can rather than risking pooled ignorance like what was happening.

The problem wasn't so much the existence of politics in gaming as it was the issue of polarization to just one side and that's that. People who were in charge were stacking the deck to just one side and only making the issue worse.

Likewise, there are ways to address social commentary in a way that isn't overtly taking sides in non-opinion pieces.

There are just so many better ways to handle it that what was being done and I think the Escapist is correcting course to reach that. We'll have to see, but I am heartened by what I'm hearing.

Gaming sites shouldn't be about calling men rapists for having dicks, they shouldn't call gamers evil for looking or liking certain types of games, they shouldn't be insulting in so many other ways but that's what was happening under the former setup and what should never happen again. Social issues can absolutely be addressed. But they should be part of a public discourse and not a totalitarian mandate that you have to listen to and believe no matter what.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Lightknight said:
If it's (political/social commentary) going to remain it just needs to be more balanced. Differing opinions and consideration of the other side would make it wonderful.

The problem wasn't so much the existence of politics in gaming as it was the issue of polarization to just one side and that's that. People who were in charge were stacking the deck to just one side and only making the issue worse.

Likewise, there are ways to address social commentary in a way that isn't overtly taking sides in non-opinion pieces.

There are just so many better ways to handle it that what was being done and I think the Escapist is correcting course to reach that. We'll have to see, but I am heartened by what I'm hearing.
What sides/ issues do you feel were under-represented?

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I voted nope. Whoever these new guys are I don't see them replacing Jim Sterling. From what I saw from their twitter and personal blogspaces I wasn't impressed in the slightest. I'll probably give their video's a try. Maybe watch the first couple of them and maybe I'm impressed but my expectations are pretty much non-existent. It doesn't really matter to me either, I'm here for Yahtzee and Jim and Jim is gone, which leaves just yahtzee.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Silvanus said:
Lightknight said:
If it's (political/social commentary) going to remain it just needs to be more balanced. Differing opinions and consideration of the other side would make it wonderful.

What sides/ issues do you feel were under-represented?
Balance is a real issue. They give huge podiums to sides that they're buddy buddy with while ignoring other groups. This is a form of media control through curation via nepotism/cronyism. We see specific agendas being catapulted in a way that naturally leads to other groups being disenfranchised.

I'll give a really easy example. How about honest criticisms of Anita Sarkeesian's damsel tropes. Journalists like Liana Kerzner had really strong counters to them but didn't feel safe to give a rebuttal because a man would be deemed as sexist and a female might be pigeon holed into just being the anti-Anita and have their career fall with Anita's or be deemed anti-feminist just for disagreeing with the topic.

That's not a healthy environment where mere criticisms of a position get you automatically thrown into a specific box.

How about addressing things officially when shit like GamerGate goes down? If you recall, that topic was avoided like the plague and nobody in these mainstream sites were even going to discuss an explosion of a consumer revolt until they all allied to attack them. They basically created one of the most epic Steisand effects I've ever seen. Only towards the end did some sites start to acknowledge the ethics issues that were present and institute problems. It shouldn't be a practice to hide things that are happening even if you find them distasteful. It should be a practice to report on them and let them rise or fall on their own merits.

I found it extremely sad when the whole issue with The Fine Young Capitalists came out. It meant that not only were agendas being pushed but even groups that met the criteria of the agenda could be harmed by it if they weren't on the in-group. That brings it to an even danker level because it becomes hypocritical at that point. Stories were being run to support their agenda without even fact checking in ways that got innocent people harassed. They did so many distasteful things and let them slide because they felt they matched their agenda and that's got to stop.

I'm sorry if you always felt like your side was getting told and if you always thought others were too. But it has been increasingly more one sided as time goes on.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Lightknight said:
Balance is a real issue. They give huge podiums to sides that they're buddy buddy with while ignoring other groups. This is a form of media control through curation via nepotism/cronyism. We see specific agendas being catapulted in a way that naturally leads to other groups being disenfranchised.

I'll give a really easy example. How about honest criticisms of Anita Sarkeesian's damsel tropes. Journalists like Liana Kerzner had really strong counters to them but didn't feel safe to give a rebuttal because a man would be deemed as sexist and a female might be pigeon holed into just being the anti-Anita and have their career fall with Anita's or be deemed anti-feminist just for disagreeing with the topic.
The Escapist didn't give huge podiums to any side in the discussion over Anita Sarkeesian, IIRC. I recall a few news items, but not much more. All else I recall was an edition of No Right Answer entitled "Is Anita Sarkeesian Wrong", which contained numerous criticisms of her work.

Honestly, the vast majority of people here disagree with Sarkeesian in one way or another. Vast. Most of the people who end up defending her do not agree with her, but object equally to the hyperbole thrown. Honest criticism is fine. Nobody objected when No Right Answer did it, because they had a degree of measure and self-restraint.

Lightknight said:
How about addressing things officially when shit like GamerGate goes down? If you recall, that topic was avoided like the plague and nobody in these mainstream sites were even going to discuss an explosion of a consumer revolt until they all allied to attack them. They basically created one of the most epic Steisand effects I've ever seen. Only towards the end did some sites start to acknowledge the ethics issues that were present and institute problems. It shouldn't be a practice to hide things that are happening even if you find them distasteful. It should be a practice to report on them and let them rise or fall on their own merits.
Well, The Escapist didn't come out against Gamergate, officially or otherwise. The site took no official stance, and contributors had their own views individually.

That seems all we can ask when tensions are so high from the get-go.

Lightknight said:
I found it extremely sad when the whole issue with The Fine Young Capitalists came out. It meant that not only were agendas being pushed but even groups that met the criteria of the agenda could be harmed by it if they weren't on the in-group. That brings it to an even danker level because it becomes hypocritical at that point. Stories were being run to support their agenda without even fact checking in ways that got innocent people harassed. They did so many distasteful things and let them slide because they felt they matched their agenda and that's got to stop.

I'm sorry if you always felt like your side was getting told and if you always thought others were too. But it has been increasingly more one sided as time goes on.
TFYC had a spat with Brianna Wu, and both sides had people supporting them/ criticising them. I haven't really seen one as an "in-group" any more than the other-- and certainly not on Escapist platforms. I don't even recall it coming up.

If anything, I've seen tonnes more criticism of Wu than TFYC.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Vault101 said:
Zahri said:
There have been losses yes, but there are new voices being given a platform here now. What's more, the new EIC has more or less said they're gonna approach Escapist content from a more "about the games, less politics" stance.
ed?
yeeeeeep

by recruiting people who are very firmly settled in "one camp", no "politics" my ass

its clear whats happening...Escapist is pandering to GG
Oh, don't you know? its only "political" when you don't agree with it or it's an issue that doesn't personally effect you.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I've been asking for a new animated series, webcomic or something similar to There Will Be Brawl for a number of years now. If we're getting new content, I'm hoping for the best. :D

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Silvanus said:
Lightknight said:

The Escapist didn't give huge podiums to any side in the discussion over Anita Sarkeesian, IIRC. I recall a few news items, but not much more. All else I recall was an edition of No Right Answer entitled "Is Anita Sarkeesian Wrong", which contained numerous criticisms of her work.
Actually, Movie Bob is at the root of this as far as The Escapist. He flagrantly used his podium to support her. He (a movie reviewer by the way, one that has taken several pictures alongside her) creating a video about how unfair it is to criticize someone's arguments as being similar to Jack Thompson's and demanding they stop and writing articles like how she is "the Most Dangerous Woman in Video Games".

Not only that, but there has been a serious lack of critique of her work. She has made huge and significant mistakes. From accidentally defining objectification with the definition of a grammatical object (for example, "Me talking to you" would be objectifying you by her logic because you are receiving an action and are therefor the object of the sentence) to various other issues that would call her character and intent into question. No discussion at all about someone who is clearly so notable in our industry when we get articles about random stuff other people said or did all the time. How about that time Anita said that Sexism against men doesn't exist? Oh boy, the times we've had not hearing the stuff that should be giving people pause.

Honestly, the vast majority of people here disagree with Sarkeesian in one way or another. Vast. Most of the people who end up defending her do not agree with her, but object equally to the hyperbole thrown. Honest criticism is fine. Nobody objected when No Right Answer did it, because they had a degree of measure and self-restraint.
Honest criticism is generally fine amongst the community. But the general staff just omits discussion about it. No Right Answer is a really unusual content provider for us to have. They're basically the average gamer/nerd and that makes them perfect for this kind of thing.

So I agree that the Escapist has been one of the best at this. But other content creators have been antagonistic on this front.

The escapist is particularly good at letting us discuss issues as well and creating a peaceful environment to do so where basically the main rule is not to directly insult others.

Well, The Escapist didn't come out against Gamergate, officially or otherwise. The site took no official stance, and contributors had their own views individually.

That seems all we can ask when tensions are so high from the get-go.
No, we should be able to expect an article covering what's happening. It was a legitimate news story in gaming regardless of how anyone felt about the merits of it.

Them remaining silent on the matter is them being implicit (like everyone else) in exacerbating the Streisand effect. From sites over-modding content to everything else, it was a fairly fascinating story.

The problem is that without legitimate news, all we had were people like the Internet Aristocrat to go on and that knucklehead focused purely on Quinn when the main story should have been on the news agencies that allowed her to abuse them. I even explained this problem in my very first post in good ol' GG:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.858347-Zoe-Quinn-and-the-surrounding-controversy?page=14#21282642

"I would be interested in seeing a critical response on the subject. An article on what the criticism is, why any of this matters, stuff like that. Just something that sums it up and explains why it matters or why it doesn't.

Looks like information on the subject is getting redacted left and right so I'd appreciate an actual journalistic response detailing what's actually going on here rather than everyone being mum about it like it's beneath them to even acknowledge that there's a controversy afoot and to dispel the ignorance if it is such.

I don't mean the elements that are private and nitty gritty. I don't care who someone sleeps with. Just the elements that actually matter like criticisms of journalistic integrity and the claim that she fabricated attacks on herself and even got pro-feminist organizations trying to do charity work doxxed and pubicly shamed without any reasons as to why.

So it's not like everyone was being unreasonable. That was very early on.

Expecting the media to remain silent is not acceptable. Good people get hurt and innocent people get misled by those who do provide information that may or may not be true. They get to frame the discussion. In this event, the discussion was framed from the angle of a woman who cheated on a boyfriend rather than from the angle of a man who wrote articles for an intimate (Quinn herself admitted to having made out with him a week before second Grayson article was written) and for a game that he was actually credited as a tester in. The article should have been framed around a woman who abused her relationship (friendly, mind you, not sexual) with the media to falsely accuse groups of harassing her to market her game on greenlight. Instead it was framed by a slut shamer with a slight nod to media issues. Why? Because the slut shamer was the only one talking and there was actual merit to the facts being presented.

During that whole thing, articles were being presented for things that pertained to one side getting doxxed or hacked (like the whole Phil Fish event) but nothing happened when say a charity page got hacked because of the event by the other side.

I think after the Leigh Alexander gamers are dead article we saw the Escapist reel in shock and begin righting the ship right away realizing what was happening. Everything got better after that point, honestly.

But the staff here, like Tito, were still not friendly. When complaints were levied against them falsely accusing a group of harassing Quinn to promote her game the responses were like, "Of course we didn't fact check the claims, we're always going to default on the side of the victim". Clearly a one sided environment.

TFYC had a spat with Brianna Wu, and both sides had people supporting them/ criticising them. I haven't really seen one as an "in-group" any more than the other-- and certainly not on Escapist platforms. I don't even recall it coming up.

If anything, I've seen tonnes more criticism of Wu than TFYC.
Brianna Wu had a spat with TFYC? I was entirely unaware.

What I'm talking about is how TFYC went entirely uncovered and unsupported with the media because Quinn asked her friends not to report on them (suspicious since Quinn had a competing event planned). Journalists would schedule a meeting with TFYC and then back out of it after Quinn spoke with them. TFYC were astounded by this and reached out to the community when that happened. They faced all sorts of harassment and even had their site hacked during the campaign for a charitable women's game development competition. This should have easily checked all the boxes on anyone who had a specific agenda for women in gaming and yet this happened.

Brianna Wu was likely in a spat with them because they were finally funded by 4chan of all groups and people got mad because a charity took money from a group they didn't like. Which was funny to see unfold.

Still, I don't recall any of this making it into escapist news. Do you?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I'm in a 'wait and see' kinda of mode.

This new content will need to prove it self worthy of my time before I'll care it exists.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err wasn't the whole new and different when they make their own shows (The Escapist News) and presenting sponsor contents like those gadgets videos?

If so then I am not really excited at the possible new or different contents...

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
@G.O.A.T. I did some skimming on Twitter so I might be able to help a little bit. We know Liana Kerzener is going to be producing a Cosplay show starting in the summer and it looks like Morse is going to be writing something "comedic" rather than political. Fingers crossed for that, I really hope he doesn't slip up on keeping those opinions of his out of his content.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Lightknight said:
Actually, Movie Bob is at the root of this as far as The Escapist. He flagrantly used his podium to support her. He (a movie reviewer by the way, one that has taken several pictures alongside her) creating a video about how unfair it is to criticize someone's arguments as being similar to Jack Thompson's and demanding they stop and writing articles like how she is "the Most Dangerous Woman in Video Games".
"Flagrantly"? It's not a damn crime.

Bob had a show, in which he gave his opinions, as was his remit. Allowing your regular contributor to talk about a topic in an edition of his opinion show is not "giving huge podiums".

Lightknight said:
Not only that, but there has been a serious lack of critique of her work. She has made huge and significant mistakes. From accidentally defining objectification with the definition of a grammatical object (for example, "Me talking to you" would be objectifying you by her logic because you are receiving an action and are therefor the object of the sentence) to various other issues that would call her character and intent into question. No discussion at all about someone who is clearly so notable in our industry when we get articles about random stuff other people said or did all the time. How about that time Anita said that Sexism against men doesn't exist? Oh boy, the times we've had not hearing the stuff that should be giving people pause.
If you'd like articles focusing on individual tweets from e-celebrities, that's fine. I certainly don't. It stinks of "gotcha"-ing, and of an obsession with triviality.

Lightknight said:
No, we should be able to expect an article covering what's happening. It was a legitimate news story in gaming regardless of how anyone felt about the merits of it.

Them remaining silent on the matter is them being implicit (like everyone else) in exacerbating the Streisand effect. From sites over-modding content to everything else, it was a fairly fascinating story.
I don't want to get pulled into another GG debate, so I'll hold off on this count. I'll say only that an observer, early on, would have every reason to believe this was a storm in a teacup, tied up with individual personalities and dirty laundry, nothing people will get whipped up about.

Lightknight said:
In this event, the discussion was framed from the angle of a woman who cheated on a boyfriend rather than from the angle of a man who wrote articles for an intimate (Quinn herself admitted to having made out with him a week before second Grayson article was written) and for a game that he was actually credited as a tester in. The article should have been framed around a woman who abused her relationship (friendly, mind you, not sexual) with the media to falsely accuse groups of harassing her to market her game on greenlight. Instead it was framed by a slut shamer with a slight nod to media issues. Why? Because the slut shamer was the only one talking and there was actual merit to the facts being presented.
I seriously do not think that was why it was framed that way.

You want the media to have taken the opposite view of the movement, that's your prerogative, but it's far from objective. There is no correct way to view the movement.

If reporting on it how they did was feeding one narrative (and it was, all news does), then reporting on it how you've just outlined is feeding the opposite narrative. Not objective, not right, just the other side of the river.

Lightknight said:
But the staff here, like Tito, were still not friendly. When complaints were levied against them falsely accusing a group of harassing Quinn to promote her game the responses were like, "Of course we didn't fact check the claims, we're always going to default on the side of the victim". Clearly a one sided environment.
I very much doubt that's word-for-word.

Lightknight said:
What I'm talking about is how TFYC went entirely uncovered and unsupported with the media because Quinn asked her friends not to report on them (suspicious since Quinn had a competing event planned). Journalists would schedule a meeting with TFYC and then back out of it after Quinn spoke with them. TFYC were astounded by this and reached out to the community when that happened. They faced all sorts of harassment and even had their site hacked during the campaign for a charitable women's game development competition. This should have easily checked all the boxes on anyone who had a specific agenda for women in gaming and yet this happened.
This is one particular battlefield I didn't keep up with, though I was vaguely aware of it.

Just one question: is there actual proof that Quinn got her media friends specifically not to cover TFYC's event?

So very much is built on sand and allegation in the past few months.

Lightknight said:
No, and in part, I'm glad. It would only have further fuelled the current obsession with a small, mostly-arbitrary set of public figures, their personal lives and their relatively inconsequential spats. I want to get back to talking about games.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Silvanus said:
Lightknight said:
Lightknight said:
This is one particular battlefield I didn't keep up with, though I was vaguely aware of it.

Just one question: is there actual proof that Quinn got her media friends specifically not to cover TFYC's event?

So very much is build on sand and allegation in the past few months.

Lightknight said:
No, and in part, I'm glad. It would only have further fuelled the current obsession with a small, mostly-arbitrary set of public figures, their personal lives and their relatively inconsequential spats. I want to get back to talking about games.
For one thing, a person talking and offering their support to someone is nothing new in any type of journalist endeavour. It's not like SJWs are trying to build a machine requiring 1.21 Gigapodiums to power their SocJuspacitor.

Also, TFYC was ot a 'charitable' event, it wasn't a charity. I wish people would stop pretending it was. If you don't believe me;

https://archive.today/jJu66

Horse's mouth. Whether or not you think the event is good is entirely subjective, but it isn't, nor ever was, a charity.