Poll: Who has a higher pain tolerance; Men or Women

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
You know those leg cramps you get that can drop you to the ground hissing (ala the dad from Family Guy)? We get those in our abdomens, once a month, for three-four days. Yeah.
Seriously?

You mean those ones you get in the calf muscle, just below the back of the knee?

Well, guess I'm voting women then.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
direkiller said:
1/10000(about the odd of dieing in childbirth) and 3/10000(odds of dieing from a c-section) are basically the same thing the difference is minimal and probably within the stranded derivation of the studdys
There was a 95% confidence interval. I managed to find the whole thing in PDF form here [http://www.pbh.gov.br/smsa/bhpelopartonormal/estudos_cientificos/arquivos/cesariana_eletiva_x_parto_birth_2006.pdf].

Ledan

Apr 15, 2009
Neither. It depends on the person, not the gender, and a lot of people can train themselves to resist more pain.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
On Childbirth: Not exactly the best example seeing as most women use drugs to dull the pain these days and in addition to even "natural" births are accompanied by a metric asston of chemicals released by the brain to dull the pain.

OT: I would say men in general, but it probably depends a lot on the individual.

Allevil

Nov 11, 2009
My understanding was that, typically, men have the higher tolerance for pain - except in the lead up to (and during) childbirth, at which point women become nigh impervious to pain due to all the drugs and such.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
Long answer short, studies show that women have a higher natural pain tolerance then men do because of need. Women are the ones that have to give birth and thus need the pain tolerance. This does not mean that some women don't make a much bigger deal out of pain than a man would though, as I often find myself dealing well with pain while my girlfriend is making a fuss.

Slippers

Dec 7, 2010
Doesn't matter. Pain is essentially a psychological matter.

If you look and concentrate on a wound, it'll hurt as hell.

If you don't, it will simply be annoying.

I know this sounds like some zen bullshit, but it essentially depends on the state of mind the subject tested is in.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
barbzilla said:
Long answer short, studies show that women have a higher natural pain tolerance then men do because of need. Women are the ones that have to give birth and thus need the pain tolerance. This does not mean that some women don't make a much bigger deal out of pain than a man would though, as I often find myself dealing well with pain while my girlfriend is making a fuss.
I'm going to call you out on this.

Provide a study that shows women have a higher pain tolerance. Do it.

kuyo

Dec 25, 2008
Custard_Angel said:
rokkolpo said:
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.
Allow me to explain the joke...

There is a stigma that when men get sick with a cold/flu virus, they are little bitches and moan about it much more than women.

As such, the idea is that men suffer from worse versions of the flu than women do, hence the man flu.

Of course, there is no such thing as a man flu, but the joke involves everyone believing that there is such a thing.
Sound bogus, I get sick all the time and I don't ***** about it. I said that to a doctor once when he said I should be screaming out in pain.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Women do. They have to give birth to children, and are thus equipped with a higher pain threshold.
Can't read an entire thread, eh?

hecticpicnic said:
I don't know quite what you mean but women have a higher pain threshold.
Its been scientifically proven.Also women are tougher mentally.Men go insane much faster.
Actually, no. Women are treated for mental problems more often then males. Depending on the problem, in can range from just a little more to 3 times as likely in women.
That may be because of the life forced upon woman(children etc) and i think men are less likely to admit to psychological problems and resort to drink(this is also another societal thing, your not encouraged to talk about your problems).I think that's a interesting fact, it may be less serious stuff because when you here about people going completely off the tracks it seems to be men.This also might vary depending on where we live,also looking at the question again i think woman have a lower pain tolerance (more receptive to pain and geraly feel it more than men,some evolutionarily reason) but know how to deal with it better.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
hecticpicnic said:
AccursedTheory said:
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Women do. They have to give birth to children, and are thus equipped with a higher pain threshold.
Can't read an entire thread, eh?

hecticpicnic said:
I don't know quite what you mean but women have a higher pain threshold.
Its been scientifically proven.Also women are tougher mentally.Men go insane much faster.
Actually, no. Women are treated for mental problems more often then males. Depending on the problem, in can range from just a little more to 3 times as likely in women.
That may be because of the life forced upon woman(children etc) and i think men are less likely to admit to psychological problems and resort to drink(this is also another societal thing, your not encouraged to talk about your problems).I think that's a interesting fact, it may be less serious stuff because when you here about people going completely off the tracks it seems to be men.This also might vary depending on where we live,also looking at the question again i think woman have a lower pain tolerance (more receptive to pain and geraly feel it more than men,some evolutionarily reason) but know how to deal with it better.
Go to Google Scholar and type in "Gender Differences in Pain Tolerance"- men have a higher pain threshold then women, tried tested and confirmed in the most empirical manners possible.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
I'm a physiotherapist, and deal with patients in pain every day. Several of my colleagues have done studies on the PPT (pressure/pain threshold) and it's relation to several factors, including gender, adding to the massive amounts of literature that's out there, and the general consensus is that females in general have a lower PPT than men, i.e. they feel pain more easily. It's a fact.

Now this could be due to a variety of factors (pain is entirely subjective, after all) including sociocultural ones. There are no doubt men who faint if they're touched and women who're built like tanks...

wdwyer

Apr 18, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
I got into a debate with my sisters, about whether males or Females have a higher pain tolerance. They (obviously) said women do, and I (obviously) said men do. I argued that men are stronger, play more dangeous sports and that pain that would hurt her wouldn't hurt me, she brought up man flu, childbirth and periods. So, who had a higher pain tolerance?
This was already scientifically proven...women.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
barbzilla said:

I actually going to have to retract my statement. I had a moment of stupidity and merged the discussion idea with a study I was reading on woman's brains handling pain differently. The pain threshold is actually lower though. (sorry about that guys, this is what happens when you post first thing after waking up.)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
wdwyer said:
Hero in a half shell said:
I got into a debate with my sisters, about whether males or Females have a higher pain tolerance. They (obviously) said women do, and I (obviously) said men do. I argued that men are stronger, play more dangeous sports and that pain that would hurt her wouldn't hurt me, she brought up man flu, childbirth and periods. So, who had a higher pain tolerance?
This was already scientifically proven...women.
I'm calling you out too.

Show a study that proves your point. The people who say men have a higher tolerance have.

barbzilla said:
AccursedTheory said:
barbzilla said:

I actually going to have to retract my statement. I had a moment of stupidity and merged the discussion idea with a study I was reading on woman's brains handling pain differently. The pain threshold is actually lower though. (sorry about that guys, this is what happens when you post first thing after waking up.)
Forgiveness follows admittance.

Cryptotom

Hypnotist and freelance layabout
Jun 10, 2010
I'm a bloke, but I would say women. I had surgery on my private parts in December and I had a cathater for 2 weeks (It was a pretty bad christmas for me) and everyone said they though I was dealing with the pain very very well. And while it was absolutely awful and the worst I've had in my life, my only comforting thought was "Well at least I'm not pushing a small person out of me..."

I'm pretty sure that childbirth would be far worse than anything a man can go through, because I had one of the most painful things that a man could have (Which only recently stopped hurting by the way) and I'm sure that childbirth would be worse.

Obviously I haven't gone through both so this is involving a large amount of speculation.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
kuyo said:
Custard_Angel said:
rokkolpo said:
What is man flu?
Never heard of it.
Allow me to explain the joke...

There is a stigma that when men get sick with a cold/flu virus, they are little bitches and moan about it much more than women.

As such, the idea is that men suffer from worse versions of the flu than women do, hence the man flu.

Of course, there is no such thing as a man flu, but the joke involves everyone believing that there is such a thing.
Sound bogus, I get sick all the time and I don't ***** about it. I said that to a doctor once when he said I should be screaming out in pain.
were you feeling pain though and i think that makes sense because i've been though flu's where for days i just felt like i couldn't feel anything worse and i sit in bed.But my room mat gets up and goes out does work just cause she has too when she has the flu and then goes back to bed.