Poll: Who has a higher pain tolerance; Men or Women

Feb 13, 2008
Women have a higher internal pain tolerance (They have babies ffs, no man can understand that until they have a bowling ball swinging from their 'nads - although kidney stones come close, allegedly), but men can adrenaline surge through acute pain.

Short term pain will cripple women, but rarely fazes men.
Long term pain will cripple men (Manflu), but only slow women.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Don't scientific studies support the idea that men have a higher pain tolerance?
Just google it. None of us here are qualified to answer anyways.

liveslowdiefast

Jan 17, 2010
seriously? that many votes for men... i'm sorry but guys, but we don't have to push a FUCKING BABY out of us. i like being a man for that reason that i can't have that happen to me.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Terminators, obviously.
And many scientific studies have shown women to have higher pain tolerance on average.

But really, it's just a skill one can train.

Desfox

Apr 1, 2011
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/07/050705004113.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51160

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/painthreshold.html

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/pain-management/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100218149

plz, plz, read these before posting more opinions

Sep 17, 2009
It has been biologically proven that women have a higher pain tolerance...it has also been prove through real life experience.

When I pick up a hot plate it hurts my finger, but when my gf does she feels nothing haha

ThePirateMan

Jul 15, 2009
According to science, women are more resistant to pain. Although some people in this thread say otherwise. So science may have lied to me. Damn you, science!

But judging from my experience, they also whine a whole lot more about it. Depends on the person though, I guess.

Desfox

Apr 1, 2011
Well I guess I'll give up after this because no one cares, but if you do, one final article
http://www.unethical-studies.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010-06-29-Woodrow-548.pdf

I will now assume the position of a passive spectator

KushinLos

Jun 28, 2008
I'd say its going to be an individual by individual basis, as people are different enough to warrant such things. I've heard that women in general have a higher pain tolerance, but I've also found that pain tolerance can be manipulated by training and other mitigating factors.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
It depends on how you consider the question of pain tolerance. Men and women both feel pain differently, due to differences in nerve types and how nerves process information. There is a general agreement amongst biologists and anatomists that women have more pain receptors than men do, but if this is the case, then that simply means that women feel more pain than men. Pain tolerance does not refer to how much pain one feels, but how much they can endure. Pain tolerance is more a psychological quality than a physical, conditioning your mind to willingly ignore more pain for the sake of achieving a goal and that really varies more from person to person than it does between genders.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Helmutye said:
And as far as men doing more dangerous things, I would argue that that's actually evidence for why men would have a LOWER pain/sickness tolerance. Allow me to explain: in the ancient days, the job of men was to go out and hunt, while women were responsible for gathering roots and berries and such and raising the children (at least according to current understanding). Now, if a women got sick or hurt, she could still perform her duties pretty effectively--she's not taking any extra risks if she gathers berries while sick. And sick or no, children need caring for. But if a man goes hunting while sick or injured, he has a much higher chance of getting killed, and of getting his fellow hunters killed--mastodons are pretty dangerous, and if sickness or injury is slowing you down you don't stand much of a chance. So it would make sense for a man to stay home until he was fully recovered, rather than burden the hunting party with his reduced abilities. And as far as dealing with pain as a result of hunting injury/war, he's going to be all hopped up on adrenaline anyway, which kills pain for everyone. Or he's going to be in shock.
Admittedly, the pain receptor thing was faulty memory on my part. Someone else brought up the what my brain got confused on: that it would appear females have much more sensitive pain receptors.

Also, looks like someone else did some work for me.

Desfox said:
I typed into google "pain tolerance men vs. women" and the first 4 results are all scientific studies or compilations that agree men have higher tolerance overall. The Last article is even written by a woman. The view that women have higher tolerance comes completely from viewing through the perspective of child birth.
Scientifically men win, and I have used an adequate scientific info.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/07/050705004113.htm

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=51160 :

Laboratory studies show a clear difference in pain tolerance levels between men and women. When healthy men and women are subjected to heat and other types of pain tests, women almost always report feeling discomfort first.

"It takes a lower temperature for a women to tell you that this feels painful," says Roger Fillingim, PhD, associate professor in the college of dentistry at the University of Florida, in Gainesville. "The laboratory studies show rather convincingly that women have a lower pain threshold and pain tolerance than men. That has been fairly consistently shown in the experimental studies that have been done."

http://www.rps.psu.edu/probing/painthreshold.html
?Human studies more reliably show that men have higher pain thresholds than women, and some show that men have a higher pain tolerance as well,? Graham adds. Another way of thinking about these results, she points out, is that women show more sensitivity to pain.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/pain-management/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100218149 -this is a women's article

Case Closed scientifically and objectively.
As for your theory on 'men shoulf feel pain more...' just no. Men need a lack of pain in such a scenario (A long, long time ago) because they NEEDED to hunt, they NEEDED to fight, and they NEEDED to travel to do so.

Basically, to survive, someone needed to be able and go do things regardless of injury or illness. To compensate, males have a higher rate of regeneration then females, and higher performance bodies to make sustained injuries less debilitating.

And, of course, there's a fact that any boy can prove to you simply by being alive: Males are designed for risky behavior. From the ability to ignore injuries, to higher healing rates, to testosterone that pushes us to be violent and outgoing physically, we're built 'top be stupid,' so to speak.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...the problem with all of the studies on this subject, and the reason it's still so hotly debated, is that you have to pull small groups from the local population to perform the study. Depending on the area and the specific people who get into the test group, you'll have differently biased results.
Imagine if you will performing these studies on people pulled from the medieval European aristocracy. You'd have men used to wearing armor and beating each other senseless with swords and lances in tournaments, and you'd have women used to being pampered 24/7. Hell, it was considered attractive for a woman to be fat and pale most places in medieval Europe. Guess which way the study would go there...
Now imagine pulling from Chinese aristocracy in the same time period. The men are pampered 24/7 and expected to be intellectuals... while the women are expected to mutilate themselves to be more likely to attract a lordly man. The study would have completely opposite results there.

I've known men who scream and cry over a pin prick, and I've known men who will work for weeks (including distance running for physical training) on a broken foot with no complaint. I've known women who will sit down and cry over a stubbed toe, and I've known women who go through natural childbirth with no complaint beyond heavy breathing. Physiology really doesn't have much effect on pain tolerance.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Men of course. Seeing that we are the strongest we HAVE to have it in order to protect ourselves and our families.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
If males are raised as "MEN" then yes, males should have a higher tolerance for pain.
It is also effected directly from a person's psychological state, if he has any phobias or mental instabilities.

Angilion

Nov 22, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
[..]
Short term pain will cripple women, but rarely fazes men.
Long term pain will cripple men (Manflu), but only slow women.
Why didn't any of the consultants I've seen for my permanent pain(*) mention anything of the sort?

A rhetorical question - it's because it isn't true. It's just prevailing sexism.

Predicate: Women are superior to men.
Predicate: A higher pain tolerance is better.
Conclusion: Women have a higher pain tolerance than men.

You don't even realise that manflu is a sexist stereotype - you're using a sexist stereotype as proof of a sexist stereotype and you don't realise why that is not rational thought.

* It's not as bad as it sounds. I've developed a tolerance for it most of the time and it only halts me on the few occasions when it becomes far more painful for a short period of time for no apparent reason. They cut me open to have a look years ago - nothing wrong, just pain with no known cause. Happens sometimes, just have to deal with it. Could be much worse.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Desfox said:
Well I guess I'll give up after this because no one cares, but if you do, one final article
http://www.unethical-studies.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010-06-29-Woodrow-548.pdf

I will now assume the position of a passive spectator
Fuck me. Ouch.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Overall I'd say men, but I would say that it varies a lot from person to person, so there'd of course be exceptions.