Poll: Who would win in a fight? Harry Potter or Vegeta?

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
How is this even a thing?

The Prince of Saiyans can move like lightning, smash rocks with his fists, the list goes on. He's basically Superman only with more personality and less ethics.

Harry has a funny stick.

Place your bets.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
If Harry Potter took place in an internally consistent universe, I would say Vageta. Harry is never shown to be that powerful, and is basically a rather shit wizard who is conned by an incredibly evil old man into believing he is actually amazing in order to persuade him to sacrifice his life.

However, Harry Potter does not take place in an internally consistent universe.

So my vote is on Harry, because Harry would simply pull out some ridiculous bullshit spell, device or item which would never be used again and the existence of which would have absolutely no implications whatsoever. Said spell or device would then do something cheaty to make Vageta lose.. because this is basically how 90% of the problems Harry encounters get resolved.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Shoggoth2588 said:
and while I'm sure a shield charm could defend against a chi-attack (and maybe even the signature chi-attacks)
I take issue with what you've put in brackets in this quote.

I'm guessing, given the tone of the rest of the post, that you're likely just throwing the HP series a bone here, but I don't think a shield charm could do much could against any of the signature chi attacks, particularly from Vegeta, given that, well, this happens right near the start of DBZ.

Anyways, above posted video is why I have serious doubts Harry could ever defeat Vegeta. I mean, given the sheer number of planet busters in the DBZ series, I just don't think it is really all that fair of a comparison (unless every planet in the DBZ universe is made of balsa wood, which I suppose is a possibility).

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
This question is insane. The most powerful spell in the wizard world kills ONE person. Vegeta can blow-up entire planets with his mind, fly, move at the speed of light, and is physically powerful enough to lift continents. What the hell kind of contest is that?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
evilthecat said:
So, your argument for Harry to win is a negative critique on the author's writing style... An interesting thought, but by the rules of the Anime Fight Club - of which the two first rules are, in fact, to pimp Anime fight Club like crazy - you can only give your fighter resources that he has access to. For instance, getting the writer to bail him out is an illegal move. It's about the same as saying Vegeta could just do whatever he wants if he has the Dragonballs, when you kinda' need their creator to make 'em work and he ain't in this fight.

Eh heh... Anyway... DBZ writing can pull that too, since the Veg was elevated to heroic badass and not one of the bad guys.

Not that that's necessary, since one of these men can destroy the planet and live. Seriously, Vegeta spent ONE DAY on an alien planet before even being a super saiyan. And in that time, he and Nappa killed every warrior and juggernaut they came across, overthrew the monarchy, flew off, and blew up the planet...as a brief mid-flight exercise. Guy's dealt with magic before and that DID cause him problems, so naturally...he would lead Harry along and play like he was going to let him fuss about, and then yank the dog chain on him and completely ruin his plan by snapping his wand and laughing.

He IS an arrogant jackass, but he's also a competent warrior-being.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Stephen O said:
I was discussing this with my girlfriend and we have very opposing views.

She thinks Vegeta would win, and if it was just a brawl, he probably would, but taking everything about the characters into account I think Potter would be the victor.

Think about it, Vegeta basically lets Cell upgrade so he can get a challenge, then fails miserably. He lets Majin Buu get released, again, for a challenge, but fails miserably against him.
Vegeta would look at Potter, laugh, then offer him a free hit. All Potter would have to do is either stupify, or avada kadavra. Fight would be over.

Plus, Harry's protected by the most powerful spell of all. His mum's love. (aww)

What do you guys think?
vegeta wins solely on the fact that death is apparently only a small inconvenience for any of the dbz characters so yeah he might lose a few times to inta death but hell just keep coming back.

on a more serious note speed is the factor as most have stated even with time dilation vegeta would still be going too fast to hit as most wizards have problems hitting things that move.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Spells are dodgy at best. Hagrid can shrug off most of them without flinching. As for Vegeta?

https://youtu.be/upvJgrR-ZPA?t=10s

Vegeta can blow up a planet. Game over. He doesn't even need to be near Potter, he can just travel to another contenint and finish things.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Vegeta would waste Harry - and all of Hogwarts - without breaking a sweat.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
Combat magic in harry potter universe is pretty weak, to be honest. Harry really doesn't have anything in his arsenal that'd give Vegeta any sort of pause.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
Vageta was introduced as a planet cracker, and quite frankly, I don't think magic will counter that.

And search your feelings, you know it to be true, Vageta's exactly the kind of asshole to just up and end a fight by leveling the battlefield, so to speak.

Fallere825

Mar 8, 2012
Vegeta wins, no sweat.

Might be more sporting if it were Yamcha or Chaotsu though, perhaps even Yajirobi or Master Roshi.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Harry Potter.

Wizards trump fighters. Though Vegeta is more a Warblade. Once again, it all comes down to initiative and preparation. Does Hermione have her Time Turner? Also, you know. Petrification + Death spell. The Harry Potter crew are infinitely smarter with their magical Mcguffins than the DBZ crew, also.

You have the power of dragonballs and they consistently fuck up their wishes.

Plus Harry Potter universe has a better time travel mechanic ... 'better' being no multiverse stuff you have to worry about.

Not only that, but EVERY Character that is a non-muggle is capable of reality tearing magic. DBZ you have a handful of characters are capable of instantly killing people. Not only that, but divination magic. In any realistic sort of scenario, divination shits all over any pure power-based magics.

"Where is Vegeta going to be in 3 minutes time?" >>> Portal Key, Broomstick, time turner, pop out of nowhere Petification + Death Spell.

Not only that but you can have INFINITE number of Potters. The Time turner allows you to go back in time to where you are ... so you can have an infinite number of Harries (to pluralise) and therefore truly unkillable in combination of divination magic.

Not only that, but that means you can replicate magical items with each time travel jaunt back to the past. Which means you can have an infinite number of magical goods so long as you can can carry it on your person. Divine Vegeta killing Harry, at that time have a billion Harries with a billion magical items of power.

This is why magic systems in RPGs become broken ... magic = clever rule lawyering to bastardise the rules to the point where they are beyond the logical spirit of the game. If you're just a brawler, you're mostly constrained to rules as written.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It's sorta like when Superman encounters magic, where they operate on two totally different sets of rules and therefore someone who's practically a god in one universe could potentially be brought down easily in another simply because he's limited to natural laws and has no defense against the supernatural.

It's hard to anticipate the fight without knowing how the rules work. If Vegeta's inner energy/power/strength/whatever can give him resistance to all kinds of spells, including one's like stupefy, then he's pretty much guaranteed to win. If not, then he's a glass canon, who can still win but will have to rely on speed to take out Harry quickly before he can start casting spells.

This is ignoring the fact that in DBZ, characters frequently stand/float around for hours doing nothing, and just in general rarely take full advantage of their situation in fights. Vegeta and Nappa could have destroyed earth in no time had they simply fought together and not one at a time.

I guess getting to the point: If Vegeta isn't abnormally resistant to magic spells AND acts the way he does in his respective series he'll lose. However if either of those things isn't true then he should be able to win.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
PaulH said:
Harry Potter.

Wizards trump fighters. Though Vegeta is more a Warblade. Once again, it all comes down to initiative and preparation. Does Hermione have her Time Turner? Also, you know. Petrification + Death spell. The Harry Potter crew are infinitely smarter with their magical Mcguffins than the DBZ crew, also.

You have the power of dragonballs and they consistently fuck up their wishes.

Plus Harry Potter universe has a better time travel mechanic ... 'better' being no multiverse stuff you have to worry about.

Not only that, but EVERY Character that is a non-muggle is capable of reality tearing magic. DBZ you have a handful of characters are capable of instantly killing people. Not only that, but divination magic. In any realistic sort of scenario, divination shits all over any pure power-based magics.

"Where is Vegeta going to be in 3 minutes time?" >>> Portal Key, Broomstick, time turner, pop out of nowhere Petification + Death Spell.

Not only that but you can have INFINITE number of Potters. The Time turner allows you to go back in time to where you are ... so you can have an infinite number of Harries (to pluralise) and therefore truly unkillable in combination of divination magic.

Divine Vegeta killing Harry, at that time have a billion Harries.
That is not how time travel works in Harry Potter, while the mechanics are vague, they explicitly state that bad shit happens if you meet yourself while time traveling, I think the Pottermore stuff elaborates that you basically end up getting ***** slapped by the universe if you try that shit. Even if it did work that way, why is Harry being able to copy himself a billion times at all helpful against a character that even at his introduction could blow up a planet from space.

Not to mention, the death spell thing is not homing, nor does it seem to be exceptionally long range, it can also be blocked by any non-living physical object, you can block the Avada Kadavra by throwing a chair in front of it. Disregarding the fact that DBZ characters can move fast enough that normal humans can't even see them, and wizards are not shown with any abilities to slow down time or move faster than normal beyond teleportation which is shown as disorienting and not something really used in the heat of battle. They also can engage in energy battles from miles away, and can sense energy, so we don't even know if a wizard can sneak up on someone like that, we would first have to establish how magic and ki interact with each other. Even if a death spell works on a DBZ character, the show established that it is entirely possible to come back from the dead without even getting your body back, you can literally come back to earth as a spirit and still blow shit up.

Also, divination does not work that way in Harry Potter, as the classes with Trelawney show, divination is about vague prophecies and cryptic events, there is nothing displayed in canon Harry Potter that would reveal something like, "vegeta comes to kill Harry Potter in 3 days", even a prophecy given by Trelawney is vague as hell and doesn't actually indicate who will be responsible for defeating Voldemort, which is why Voldemort went after both Harry's and Neville's family.

Despite all that quibbling, whoever wins is going to depend on the setup, does harry get to use literally any magical object from the books? Even if he has no experience with it? Does that mean Vegeta gets any item from DBZ? What's the circumstances of the fight? If they both know about the fight in advance, what is going to stop Vegeta from just flying into space and destroying the planet? Whoever wins is whoever the writer wants to win, you can write any number of scenarios where either character wins, it's going to depend on the setup and how you write magic interacting with ki and DBZ characters.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I have to go with Vegeta. He doesn't even need to be that close to Harry to win. All he needs to do is fire off his "Big Bang Attack" and as long as Harry is in the blast radius Harry will be nothing but a pile of ash afterword.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
The way I see it, the only spell that could possibly do Vegeta in permanently is the Avada Kedavra. And you know, Harry has never used that. It's not just completely out of character, but I doubt Harry even knows how to do it properly. As Moody explained, you need powerful magic to use such a spell effectively. The time Harry used the Cruciatus curse it was really not as effective as it could have been, and I think the same would happen with the killing curse.

And let's not forget, Harry is not that great of a wizard. He doesn't have access to amazingly arcane reality-bending spells. He's good at Defense against the Dark Arts, yeah, but not much else. If it was Voldemort vs Vegeta, maybe, but I'd still give Vegeta the edge.

Other than that, I think Vegeta's reaction to Harry would be: "Oh cute, another human." *blows up planet*

Didn't Rowling at some point state that a Muggle with a shotgun could do the average wizard in without much trouble?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
GundamSentinel said:
The way I see it, the only spell that could possibly do Vegeta in permanently is the Avada Kedavra. And you know, Harry has never used that. It's not just completely out of character, but I doubt Harry even knows how to do it properly. As Moody explained, you need powerful magic to use such a spell effectively. The time Harry used the Cruciatus curse it was really not as effective as it could have been, and I think the same would happen with the killing curse.

And let's not forget, Harry is not that great of a wizard. He doesn't have access to amazingly arcane reality-bending spells. He's good at Defense against the Dark Arts, yeah, but not much else. If it was Voldemort vs Vegeta, maybe, but I'd still give Vegeta the edge.

Other than that, I think Vegeta's reaction to Harry would be: "Oh cute, another human." *blows up planet*

Didn't Rowling at some point state that a Muggle with a shotgun could do the average wizard in without much trouble?
Plus Harry would have to actually hit Vegeta too. Considering Vegetea can fly, run really fast, etc I can't see Harry even being close in getting a hit on him.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
I know some of you beat me to it, but this has Stan Lee. STAN LEE DAMN IT!
Obligatory joke aside, Vegeta no question and that's giving Harry the benefit of the doubt that his magic that doesn't depend on an opponent's physical durability would affect Vegeta the way it would anyone in the Potterverse.

Yes, Vegeta likes giving his opponents power-up opportunities for the sake of challenge, but those are opponents that are within a decent power range compared to him. There is no magic Harry can use with the devastating speed and power of any of Vegeta's moves. He's not worthy enough for Vegeta to give him such an opportunity. Let's no forget when Vegeta obliterated humans, Frieza's soldiers, Namekians, Android 20.

I don't think Harry would be above using Avada Kedavra in the right situation. He's got Snape's example to follow especially since the movie version depicted Snape's casting as an alternate color as a possible allusion to his intent and alignment. But, he'd never hit Vegeta even if he was any good at magic that doesn't require a wand or unspoken spell fighting (forget what it's called) so as to not telegraph. This is all assuming he can even use the curse. He's only demonstrated being able to use the other 2 Unforgivable Curses; we just don't know. Though, I think it's implied he could.

His mom's protection ended up pretty finite, so that wouldn't do him any good either.

The only thing Harry as a solo fighter has going for him is that he MAY be a late bloomer in the magic fighting department compared to the assumption some of you are making that he's pretty mediocre (Patronus mastery, Dumbledore's Army, duels in the later books). To be fair, I get where you're all coming from considering all the equipment and help he got and how often destiny and luck played out for him without respect for his own effort, even in the final battle. I don't think the books ever make obviously clear if Harry is a very powerful fighter or not in his own right, but I wouldn't call him mediocre either on his own limited merits.

He'd have better luck fighting Luke Skywalker:

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Considering how fast Vegeta is, Harry wouldn't even get the chance to pick up his wand. Even if that protective love would work, I don't think it would make him capable of breathing in space.