Poll: Who's gonna be the villian in the MCU Spider-man movie?

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
It's only a matter of time before they announce who's gonna duke it out with Tom Holland's Spider-Man in the upcoming MCU flick. But until then, let's speculate over who's it gonna be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for either Mysterio or Molten Man (Mysterio being the likelier choice of the two).

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'd say the Scorpion would be a cool choice. Or maybe the Vulture. They're the two most classic villains that haven't appeared in a movie yet.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Queen Michael said:
I'd say the Scorpion would be a cool choice. Or maybe the Vulture. They're the two most classic villains that haven't appeared in a movie yet.
'S what I was thinking. Though Mysterio could be a good movie villain.

I would love to see Carnage, but god damn if I can trust them to do Carnage justice...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I want Mysterio but I doubt it. Kraven or Carnage sound more likely. Venom even.
Also I hope we're done with Green Goblin.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Is the poll for who we think will be or who we want? Because I'm guessing Green Goblin, but I'd rather have Jackal or Mysterio.

I really would like to see a version of the Sinister Six down the line, and Mysterio would make a good lead-in (being a routine member), but since the roster's flexible, including the Jackal doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Or Kraven, but I would like to see Spidey introduced for a while before Kraven, so he's not my pick for "first guy."

thaluikhain said:
Eh, I'm hoping it's Toby McGuire. Not particularly likely, I'll admit.
He was the villain of 3 movies. It's time to give him a rest.

Ravinoff

Elite Member
Legacy
May 31, 2012
Country
Canada
Queen Michael said:
They'd have to do a lot with Vulture to make him interesting enough for a movie. I mean, in the comics he's just an old guy with a nose that looks like a beak and a wingsuit (or at least, he was, I dunno if he's been hit with the reboot stick yet). And Scorpion is just a generic thug in a fancied-up super suit (or again, he used to be), which just sounds too much like the idiotic interpretation of Rhino they did recently.

Mysterio could be neat if his costume isn't a green onesie with a fishbowl and a purple cape. Kraven or Morbius would be my picks just out of nostalgia, because I grew up watching the '90s Spider-Man cartoon with them in it. But honestly, my money's on the Green fucking Goblin again, and another origin movie because Marvel haven't cashed in on that yet.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
I'd like to see Shocker at some point, but I think Mysterio would be a good villain to start with.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I'm going to come out saying Spidey won't get a standalone film in the MCU.
He's going to be in all the different films, starting with CivilWar, and then be jumping into other peoples films. That's how I think it'll go down.

Answering the question.
From my childhood TV Spideyseries, I'd like to see TheShocker!
Or Maybe Kingpin, Spidey just taking down smalltown thugs controlled by him and then a final battle at the end with the King himself.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Guffe said:
He's going to be in all the different films, starting with CivilWar, and then be jumping into other peoples films. That's how I think it'll go down.

Answering the question.
Or Maybe Kingpin, Spidey just taking down smalltown thugs controlled by him and then a final battle at the end with the King himself.
I was pretty sure the deal between Sony and Marvel was that Marvel gets to use Spidey in their movies, and Sony gets to have good Spidey movies because Marvel's going to help them out with that.

Anyway, put me down for Shocker. He's a bit more level-headed than most of Spider-Man's enemies, which would be a nice switch.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
Guffe said:

Answering the question.
I was pretty sure the deal between Sony and Marvel was that Marvel gets to use Spidey in their movies, and Sony gets to have good Spidey movies because Marvel's going to help them out with that.

Anyway, put me down for Shocker. He's a bit more level-headed than most of Spider-Man's enemies, which would be a nice switch.
I have no idea what the deal sais xD
But that sounds like a good deal for both the moviegoers and Sony, so it could be, I don't now :p
I just threw in a random guess, maybe Marvel doesn't want to give any extra cash to Sony? :D

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Guffe said:
Scars Unseen said:
Guffe said:

Answering the question.

I have no idea what the deal sais xD
But that sounds like a good deal for both the moviegoers and Sony, so it could be, I don't now :p
I just threw in a random guess, maybe Marvel doesn't want to give any extra cash to Sony? :D
I think Marvel/Disney is a bit more pragmatic than that. They were able to negotiate a deal with Sony, and I think they're probably satisfied with that for the time being. If you want to see Marvel trying to spite another studio, look at what they did with the Fantastic Four.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Ravinoff said:
Mysterio could be neat if his costume isn't a green onesie with a fishbowl and a purple cape.
I'd hope he would be in his ridiculous costume. Not only because I love 'camp' Mysterio, but because the Avengers could make a big deal about it. He could hide behind his illusions for most of the film, covering himself up and such, and then when he's finally revealed, they would all stand around flabbergasted, and much hilarity can be had.

But, really, Spider-Man isn't getting a standalone MCU film, and he's unlikely to get a villain of his own in the Avenger team up movies either, because there's no space for them to add a villain with real weight to an Avenger film, and all of Spider-Man's well known rogue gallery members that could potentially stand up to the Avengers in some way either are over played already (The Goblins, with all their money and tech and such) or make no narrative sense (The Symbiotes, Genetic Mash-Up Spider-Man, etc). The best one will probably get is some second string villain (Of which Spider-Man has a fuck ton) thats only purpose during the film is to introduce Spider-Man, as he deals with them in under 3 minutes and Captain America/Black Widow looks on.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
Basically, Marvel gets to make their own films with Spidey in them. Sony gets to make their own films with Spidey in them. Everyone keeps the money made from their own films. Sony gets final say over Spidey scripting or something to that effect. Marvel's going to work with Sony, but Sony's under no obligation to listen.

Guffe said:
Depends on what you mean by "in the MCU." It's been confirmed Spider-Man will have stand-alone films in-continuity, but they will be done by Sony instead of Marvel. I think they've already confirmed there will be MCU actor cameos in the movies, to boot. Keeping in mind they still won't be Marvel movies strictly speaking, this is close enough for me.

And I assume this is what Jovian meant.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
AccursedTheory said:
Ravinoff said:
Mysterio could be neat if his costume isn't a green onesie with a fishbowl and a purple cape.
I'd hope he would be in his ridiculous costume. Not only because I love 'camp' Mysterio, but because the Avengers could make a big deal about it. He could hide behind his illusions for most of the film, covering himself up and such, and then when he's finally revealed, they would all stand around flabbergasted, and much hilarity can be had.

But, really, Spider-Man isn't getting a standalone MCU film, and he's unlikely to get a villain of his own in the Avenger team up movies either, because there's no space for them to add a villain with real weight to an Avenger film, and all of Spider-Man's well known rogue gallery members that could potentially stand up to the Avengers in some way either are over played already (The Goblins, with all their money and tech and such) or make no narrative sense (The Symbiotes, Genetic Mash-Up Spider-Man, etc). The best one will probably get is some second string villain (Of which Spider-Man has a fuck ton) thats only purpose during the film is to introduce Spider-Man, as he deals with them in under 3 minutes and Captain America/Black Widow looks on.
I don't know where everyone's getting this notion that Spidey isn't getting his own MCU films. The day the deal was announced, they announced a solo film with it; hell, Marvel slotted it in Thor's movie spot and pushed back half their lineup! Kevin Feige's been going on and on about how the vision they have for Spidey is a four movie series taking him through high school and into college.

He's getting a film, folks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
One of the things that really used to annoy me about superhero (particularly comic book) movies was that they all seemed to be ashamed of their source material. And the result often ended up looking pretty dumb. And since comics are inherently silly, it seems dumb anyway. Marvel movies have somewhat demonstrated this doesn't need to be, what with a fairly faithful Thor, Hulk, and Captain America at the very least. I would hope people have learned from that.

But with Mysterio, it wouldn't just look dumb, it'd ultimately miss the point of the character. A theatric, dramatic, over-the-top super villain based on movie magic? Yeah, damn right he should keep the fishbowl, the cape, and the green uni.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
The only way they would bring Mysterio into the MCU will result in some raging fanboys (no way in hell they can keep the fishbowl helmet).

I think Kraven or Morbius (if they want to cash in the vampires) are the most likely candidate to appear in the next film.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Probably something boring like Kraven, or something that has been done before because for some reason they keep doing that.

Feb 28, 2008
Potentially Vulture? As if I recall correctly this was going to be the planned villain for Amazing Spiderman 3 (or even 2?). But equally this fact might have made Sony seek an alternative to distance themselves from that enterprise. Personally I would support Carnage, a character who I always found personally more interesting than Venom.