Poll: Who's in the wrong here?

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
So today i was to meet up with a friend, we were to meet up at 1 and he did not show up untill 3. So basically i spent 2 hours alone in a shopping mall with no credit waiting for him to show up. Now before anyone says "you should have gone home" i live really far away with only two busses a day so...yeah. Well what i want to know is, him and friends said after i was VERY pissed off "its okay because he does it all the time"...this is true that he does it all the time....but that does NOT make it okay...so i want to know, is he in the wrong for being that late or am i in the wrong for getting mad when i should expect it?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
If there was an agreed upon time that was not met, and that's the entirety of the story, he's in the wrong.

Nightmonger

Jul 1, 2010
He sure is in the wrong two hours is a long time to wait unless of course your happy to wait for two hours to meet up with someone? I know i would be royally pissed if I waited that long.

Besides I generally follow a rule of meet up at a certain time and give them 20 mins for benefit of the doubt or if a bus is late or some such but 2 hours is unacceptable.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think you get a bulk discount for being wrong. If that was the case, serial killers would actually be OK guys.

For the record, I have a friend who is constantly late. He even earned the nickname "speedy" for it. I still get pretty annoyed when he's late, considering I've known him since kindergarten, that's a long time of waiting aimlessly. I've probably accumulated a year or something.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If you had both planned to meet at 1, and there wasn't any good reason for it, then yeah, it's his fault. When somebody would say "Oh such and such is always late" I would expect by maybe 10-15 minutes tops not 2 hours.

Marter said:
If there was an agreed upon time that was not met, and that's the entirety of the story, he's in the wrong.
This probably isn't the reaction of the person in the avatar, but each time she gets dragged (I'm assuming that's what's happening) my mind instinctively goes "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
If what we're being told is the entire story, then he's in the wrong, but stories being told by only one of the involved parties are rarely very objectively angled.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I would've just buggered off to do whatever. Least he could've done is give you a call to say he was going to be late or something...

SciMal

Dec 10, 2011
He's in the wrong for making you wait.

You're in the wrong if you continue to consider him a friend if he consistently pulls such bullshit.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
He was so wrong.

My friends were two hours late to pick my up to go out on my 18th birthday (legal age here). 2 hours late. When they finally showed up, I went outside, yelled at them and told them to go without me I was so mad and disappointed.

Anyone who is late now, makes me really mad.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
DoPo said:
I don't think you get a bulk discount for being wrong. If that was the case, serial killers would actually be OK guys.
/thread

Assholes like Aarow's friend are why I'm never late to anything.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Jonluw said:
If what we're being told is the entire story, then he's in the wrong, but stories being told by only one of the involved parties are rarely very objectively angled.
I'd agree, however in this case it seems pretty clear cut - there was a meeting and one person was late. The other one was angry about it. Who is at fault - the guy who was late, for he didn't uphold his promise, or the other one, for the late party has a history of being late.

I don't see to what degree personal bias can warp the story. Well, maybe OP waited for one and a half hours, rather than two, or maybe just an hour, however that doesn't really change the things in his favour, if you ask me - the other person is still late.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
DoPo said:
Jonluw said:
I'd agree, however in this case it seems pretty clear cut - there was a meeting and one person was late. The other one was angry about it. Who is at fault - the guy who was late, for he didn't uphold his promise, or the other one, for the late party has a history of being late.

I don't see to what degree personal bias can warp the story. Well, maybe OP waited for one and a half hours, rather than two, or maybe just an hour, however that doesn't really change the things in his favour, if you ask me - the other person is still late.
Yes, I was talking in a general sense, but what struck me as odd about this thread was that the scenario in the OP was of the kind where there is no ambiguity whatsoever as to who is in the wrong, so I get this feeling that something else might've been going on that we don't know about: otherwise the thread wouldn't have been worth posting.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
I have a friend who is constantly late.
So I simply set the time ca. 10 minutes earlier than I actually intend it to be. Works like a charm.

Apr 5, 2008
He was late to meet you, that's a failing for the OP's friend's part.
He was true to form and the OP expected something else despite evidence to the contrary. That's a failing on the OP's part.

Jan 13, 2012
Well, you were in a mall right? You could have just browsed the stores waiting for him unless you have a really shit mall.

Something like this happened to me like 2 days ago. I was ready to tell the person how pissed I was (I had a speech and everything) but when we saw each other, I went up to him and we catched up rather then just ***** to each other.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Do you know why he was late? Just pulling a scenario out of my ass what if a guy works til close and tells friends he'll meet them a few minuets after closing time but due to the clients he had to stay an hour later and ended up being late. Is he still in the wrong?

Also if he does it all the time why didn't you tell him to show up 2 hours sooner. I have friends like that and I always tell them the wrong time to meet up and we show up at the same time.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
Crap I hit the wrong one! XD

He's in the wrong, just because he does it a lot isn't an excuse. If anything you should ***** at him more to get him to turn up on the time decided